another new guy from BC

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
Best answers
want to start a garden railway in the backyard, wont be able to actually lay down track till next year in the spring but would like to start gathering track, electronics and a couple of locos and whatever else i can during the winter. i have nothing so starting off new. so first question;Ive been looking at dcc systems online, i have almost decided on Piko, seems to be the simplest to operate, would like to get your thoughts , the pros and cons. thanks

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Willie, welcome to GSC! :)

I'll leave it to others on here to recommend DCC systems to you, because what is most popular and most available over this side of the Pond isn't necessarily the best purchase for somebody over your side; but welcome to the hobby....

All the best,
Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure DCC advice will be given, although have you thought about trying analogue DC before making the leap to DCC?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum willie. DCC is a good way to go and you will get some advice on systems from a certain guy your neck of the woods. However dead rail or battery power is another option to look at and there are systems that will give you all the benefits if DCC as well. Look at Air Wire and Train Engineer Revolution, there may even be others for you that side of the pond.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Willie, personally think long and hard in what you are going to invest in. Short term get track, get trains and have a play, see what takes your fancy, listen to comments on the forum, but I would wait 12 months before making any make decisions on which type of power you will use DCC/Analogue/Battery/Live Steam, or even a mixture.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
My recommendation would be to get a starter set. I started with PIKO. That way everything works from the box and you can play trains. You can start with analog DC then upgrade to DCC once you have decided on a system. Have a look at Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian web site for a good checklist and approach to choosing a system.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Willie..

As others have said, you need to think about what you want to achieve with your railway. - A small logging-line, with short trains will not have the same requirements as a main-line with 17-car goods and three loco's within the formation.
How big would you like to go?
How many trains running at once?
What sort of train/formation do you want to run?

Something else to consider:
Is there a local club, or other g-scalers in your area? - See what they are using. A little local-expertise, is really useful in those early days.

if you can, get some track down somewhere. - Garage, deck, shed, spare room.. and have a play.
Enjoy!
PhilP.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the madhouse

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC Willie!

I believe the Piko DCC system is more readily available over your side of the Atlantic?

If you can, go and see other layouts in BC and have a look at those systems....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Willie.

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
Best answers
thanks for the warm welcome everyone,. Yes, i have planned to get started with a small set up and run it on a shelf layout in my shop through the winter. i can set up a 20 x 35 foot loop on a shelf attached to the walls. all the starter set i have been able to find have very tight corners, like 2 foot radius . i think i would buy a small starter set, abandon the track pieces, and just use the cars, loco, and power components and then buy a couple 8ft sectional curves for each end and some straight track separately , and start with that. thanks for all the replies

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, If that's your idea of a small shelf layout I can't wait to see how your outdoor RR develops!

willie

Registered
7 Apr 2019
salmon arm bc
Best answers
I have been given permission to use a 40 ft by 60 ft area outside the back door of our house that is already kind of a garden area with the condition that I put in a pondless waterfall, so iam going to use that to my advantage and run a train bridge over the the water and possible ( if it works out) a tunnel thru the mound of dirt I create by digging out for the water tank , that'll be my first phase of the layout hopfully before the snow flys

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have been given permission to use a 40 ft by 60 ft area outside the back door of our house that is already kind of a garden area with the condition that I put in a pondless waterfall, so iam going to use that to my advantage and run a train bridge over the the water and possible ( if it works out) a tunnel thru the mound of dirt I create by digging out for the water tank , that'll be my first phase of the layout hopfully before the snow flys

Sounds good to me.... :)

Jon.