Another Mogul project

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The 'Rio Grande' did not share the same love affair as the 'Colorado & Southern' railroad did with their Moguls and so the five Moguls the 'Rio Grande' once owned did not make it far into the 20th century. The last was pensioned off in the early 1900's.

Time for a little fictional history. I summised that the Denver & Rio Grande kept an early woodburner Mogul on a remote branchline for yard duties. Over time the loco was converted to coal and received some modern equipment to keep it legal with current regulations. The flared tender has been replaced with a more modern coal tender, as well as the loco receiving a new shotgun smokestack and a generator. The elaborately polished headlamp bracket has now lost its sheen and is now painted. The gas headlamp has been converted to electric operation and also painted a 'drab' black colour. Gone also is the early 'russian blue' polished boiler jacket and the early polished sand dome. Black is now the ruling theme.

I started with a mint LGB #2028 South Park Mogul. I fitted a generator from a Bachmann Anniversary along with a large semispherical sand dome to replace the early polished sand dome. The balloon smokestack has gone and replaced with an Aristo C-16 shotgun stack. The coal tender started life as a mint yellow 'Lake George & Boulder' model. It received a coat of black paint and was lettered with the 'Rio Grande' flying herald. The early 3-pin drive block has been modified for digital operation. The early cowcatcher will be replaced with a switcher pilot.

I am now awaiting the paint to dry and will number the cab with a ficticious cab number. I also need to order a NCE 4 amp decoder and wire it in. The tender has been modified to accept a Massoth 'S' sound decoder, which hopefully will be available. I also dispensed with the stock circuit board and will use a five pin cable connector from a LGB 'shorty' 2-4-0 locomotive for electrical connection with the tender. The stock 6 pin connector on the Mogul uses only three pins to transfer track power and rear headlight power to the tender. Three pins are not used. These I assume are for the Hall sensor on the factory sound models. I am toying with using a Massoth axle sensor and sending signals to the tender mounted decoder to better synch axle movement to chuff. The tender headlight will most likely just be direction sensitive by using track power and a diode, rather than a decoder function, for simplicity.

Alas, it will be several weeks before photographs as I need to order the decoders from the States and then assemble the locomotive.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds good Tim - look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick,
while the locomotive will represent a transition loco from the 1880's until the 1940's, it will also be a locomotive affectionately maintained by its operating crews. As parts broke, they were replaced with parts from current spares inventory or simply picked from the scrap heap. This then gives the locomotive a mix of timeframes.

Boiler is completed and cab still needs to be decalled and then clear coated. Biggest holdup will be the motor decoder as I still need to source it and the axle pulse generator if I choose this method of chuff activation. The sound decoder will be fitted later this year to the tender as funds permit.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim
All sounds very good.
I too run the Rio Grande (1930s to early 1960s) but also have the fictitious Beaver Creek Railroad as a short line that interchanged with the Rio Grande. That way I can utilise different locos that would not have been seen in Rio Grande livery. Beaver creek has an eclectic mixture which like you have either been bought in from other railroads and renamed or old kit updated but they lease in rolling stock from Rio Grande.
It gives me the option of using locos like renamed Bachmann 4-6-0's, Uintah Valley mallet, climaxes, shays (althoughn Rio Grande did have a couple of shays!) and a centre cab deisel. All other locos are bona fide Rio Grande roster jobbies.

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Looking forward to seeing the pictures Tim !

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
This is basically what I started with, although on this model I painted the cowcatcher black and replaced the red headlamp with a black version from another LGB model. I feel that this is the direction LGB should have taken back in the late 1980's, rather than simply recycling parts from the earlier red/green Mogul.
f2a56c2a4c074f22b36f44ff12891ca7.jpg

Now for a quick mockup of my transition locomotive. Pieces simply put together with no attachment screws. Obvious are the later switcher type pilot, the shotgun smokestack, the generator, replacement sand dome, shorter non-superheater smokebox and the later coal tender. Grabrails as not yet fitted.
cdd16ed211b2498d8beb9a99eff71ca6.jpg

ee0b5066541c4bb292608c9d7cb98eaa.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well it seriously alters its appearance - looks a very purposeful machine - a great improvement!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick and James,
I do have a 'thing' for the Moguls with around a dozen or so in various roadnames. I am thinking that one of my yellow 'Lake george & Boulder' Moguls may get a little close to the rattle can. Real locomotives to me should be black. LGB did over do the 'toy' image with their gold and copper plating, which for several of the Moguls, does seriously detract from their looks.

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
That's very nice Tim !

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i too tend to like 'proper black'
but when it comes to altering LGB, i just have a really hard time doing anything irreversible-but have about a half of dozne times or more, with more commonly available pieces-

your the changes to the 2028 with black detail on the pilot and lamp are really nice-think i shall try to track down a black pilot and lantern and follow suit

i also think the 2028 tender would have been nice black and changed to high boards for coal like C and S #22

i understand the LGB toy thing -all are bright indeed
but-
i think it originates in the early US tradition ala the Virginia and Truckee, The General , and other later 1860's schemes-imho while they dont look mdel like-they do look great outside among the quiet greenery

i personally love the yellow mogul, and i couldnt paint mine-but i actually bought it to do more or less what youre doing-mine was to be C and S #22-

you know, i don think ive ever seen pics of DRGW moguls in all of my books

yours looks really good though
very plausible and has that early 1900 look -i think though the speed lettering is much much later -but again certainly plausible in your narrative of history
-i really like the mix of the dome styles particularly-and i really like sheen
and, what is the stack-commerical?

perhaps an arc type headlamp ???

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Steve,
smoke stack is from an Aristo C-16. In so far as the speed lettering, I looked at a toilet seat herald and thought that settling the herald decal down over the high side of the tender would take some work. The decal would need to bridge the join between the lower and upper portions of the tender body plus settling down over the rivet detail. The earlier (pre-1940) herald and roadname designation was my first choice but lost out to the simpler method to apply the speed lettering decal. My modelling period is generally the mid-`1930's to the mid-1940's, so both heralds fit my theme.

In relation to the yellow Mogul, yes it does grow on you (I have a couple to play with). At one time I felt the same way about my LGB. All the screw heads needed to match (not mixing up Phillips head screws with the earlier slotted head screws) and every part had to be perfect or was replaced. One can get very anal retentive about such things. Even with the Phillip headed screws there was the earlier bare metal type and then the later black screws. With the slotted head screws there was the earlier non-magnetic and then the later magnetic type. One could not possibly mix'n'match different screws. It simply was not done!

There really is no future value in retaining items in pristine mint condition, as these days, the bottom line dollar is the ruling decision maker for a buyer. I had numerous very early mint LGB products from 1968 - 1972 and could not even get the price that much later items (1980's) receive. The 'collector' market is a myth! These items were original with early paper packaging inside the mint boxes.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i dont like the lettering,, i know thats your choice,,,,, yuk,,,

but!!!! that looks really good,,,, me really likey,,,

and like most of your creations they work really well,,,,,,,

hat off etc,

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like the idea of switching to an electric light on the front - if you're running a 'generator' you could replace the old fashioned lamp housing with a round light and hood!?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
James,
as previously stated, the older gas style headlamp has been 'converted' to electric operation. The intent is that while affectionately maintained, the train crew did not spend money on it and only used what was available to salvage to keep the loco running.

At present I am modifying an earlier LGB flared tender with a coal load (made from kitty litter and white glue - my favourite method). When the load is fully dried, I will then strip and repaint the tender, lettered for the Denver & Rio Grande Western with the toilet seat herald. This will then allow the loco to have a tender for two timeframes, 1920's/1930's and the 1940's.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
cant wait!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The ex-South Park tender now ready to enter service on the Denver & Rio Grande Western, circa- mid 1920's/-30's. Coal load made from kitty litter.

c83b7e7085a6407190e786ad5d0e5210.jpg

69658a21afbe4be28b5312235da7ae76.jpg

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Terrific !!! :clap:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo