Another DCC throttle for the strassenbahn

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Half of my train set runs on DCC, usually an NCC handset & a bachmann booster. A few years ago I bought a SPROG box and connected it to the booster and a laptop. Since then I have been tinkering with different types of throttle. First off was the Shouty Throttle using simple voice commands, which does work, but you need some self control to stick to the 12 word vocabulary - chatty it aint ! Next was the Clicky Throttle, which is a local html page (.hta), but the laptop can be accessed remotely to use it. Both of these interfaces are still a bit nerdy though, and the 50 odd keys on the NCC handset scares the hell out of most visitors. More to the point, I now need to wear my glasses to see all the buttons on the NCC and then peer over the top to see the trains. So, the final incarnation was the simplest one - the Mk II Pointy Throttle :
a4ccfb79f540426cb84168dcaae2c642.jpg

Basically a Logitech wireless numeric keypad, which has a range of at least 15m. The Mk I was based on the PCB out of a wireless keyboard, but I struggled to solder onto the PCB tracks, so it was unreliable. The Mk II leaves the gubbins untouched, apart from re-labelling the keycaps. A simple input screen on the laptop captures the keystrokes and converts them to JMRI DCC commands - still :nerd: , but you don't see that bit. Although its limited to a choice of 5 vehicles and three speeds in each direction, the software can control some of the functions at the same time. The chips have a little inertia just to smooth out the three fixed speed steps. Fortunately we've switched to the Swiss set this year, which has one vehicle in each of the colours:
5effefd54f674e32adb6b3d32758dbba.jpg

next year I could be stuffed - the next set is nearly all DR black :crying:
Finally, I had a quick rewrite of the clicky throttle so it looks like the keypad:
f5864041423b48558c2ea0abb1a31c32.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
dam clever stuff this :clap:

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
dam clever stuff this :clap:
Mike - you'll be pleased to know that the Shouty Throttle has been passed out on the ISDBA (International Standard Deep Bolton Accent) so you'll have to give it a go :D

Cliff George said:
How do you find the JMRI software?
Interesting question, Cliff. Its open source software, as you probably know, and developed by quite a large team. In consequence it seems to do some things very well ( if you had some feedback, I would imagine you could build a damn fine CTC panel, for example). The downside is that some ideas get developed and some fizzle out, so you take a risk on whether the new functionality will get some traction (sic). I wanted to use the USB device support for the keypad, for example, but there is no way of saving the device mappings. I basically just use the scripting language, and steer clear of a lot of the inbuilt stuff. To be fair I'm a great fan of scripting, rather than programming, languages and I've got by cobbling stuff out of the forty or so examples they provide. There are one or two production releases a year, and they install without a problem, and have usually been backwardly compatible. They have a large beta testing cohort, so when a version goes live it has proved to be pretty stable (so far). As I say, I've stuck to the basics and it works fine, but I would imagine it could be a chore to build and debug a more substantial application - I'd definitely want something more graphical for major route setting.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Absolutely superb stuff ...
Love the LARGE RED Panic Button :)

For Info - the download for the JavaModelRailroadInterface (JMRI) software, is ...
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/download