Another Bachmann Bash

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I recently acquired an old Bachmann battery powered 4-6-0, fixed the power switch and it works !

So what to do with it, I've got several 4-6-0's already?
Decided to cut it down and make a 2-6-0 out of it, was thinking of doing a 'modern' 4-4-0 but the wheels are probably too small for that. leave that idea for another day.

Here's where I am at the moment, all cuts made and trial fitting in progress, chassis stuck together, cab end fitted and boiler shortened to match the new cylinder position. Just final filling to get a good fit and let it sit down the last few millimetres and then that can be glued up. Front deck's got a bit of a droop but once the screw goes up through the cyliders into the smokebox I think it will come right.

Get the loco fitted together and then shorten the tender a bit before putting all the details back on and painting - should keep me amused for a week or so !

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I recently acquired an old Bachmann battery powered 4-6-0, fixed the power switch and it works !

So what to do with it, I've got several 4-6-0's already?
Decided to cut it down and make a 2-6-0 out of it, was thinking of doing a 'modern' 4-4-0 but the wheels are probably too small for that. leave that idea for another day.

Here's where I am at the moment, all cuts made and trial fitting in progress, chassis stuck together, cab end fitted and boiler shortened to match the new cylinder position. Just final filling to get a good fit and let it sit down the last few millimetres and then that can be glued up. Front deck's got a bit of a droop but once the screw goes up through the cyliders into the smokebox I think it will come right.

Get the loco fitted together and then shorten the tender a bit before putting all the details back on and painting - should keep me amused for a week or so !

View attachment 307064

View attachment 307065
Once repainted that will make an interesting comparison with the LGB 2–6-0. Nice job.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing the finished loco!
Chris

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Let's deal with the thread drift first, the loco's not ready for pictures yet - still carrying out 'reduction surgery' on the tender !
Gap, the scenery I use is very much the same technique as the smaller scales, this piece is polystyrene blocks shaped to form the bank then covered with a thin mix of finishing plaster mixed with sawdust. The sawdust gives it some texture and reduces the weight a bit. It's painted in watered down poster paints using washes of various browns to build some depth - the rocks are also the same plaster mix with grey and brown washes. Add scatter and static grass over the earth coloured base as you see fit.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Let's deal with the thread drift first, the loco's not ready for pictures yet - still carrying out 'reduction surgery' on the tender !
Gap, the scenery I use is very much the same technique as the smaller scales, this piece is polystyrene blocks shaped to form the bank then covered with a thin mix of finishing plaster mixed with sawdust. The sawdust gives it some texture and reduces the weight a bit. It's painted in watered down poster paints using washes of various browns to build some depth - the rocks are also the same plaster mix with grey and brown washes. Add scatter and static grass over the earth coloured base as you see fit.
So continuing the "drift" can I assume this is inside, as your materials do not seem to suggest outdoor use.

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Time for an update, progress is being made!

All fitted together and a first coat of paint, need to fill those joints which stand out far more in pictures than when looking at it. Didn't fit the last sections of footplate between the cab and tanks before I put the boiler onto the chassis and you can't do it after so it's got to come apart anyway. The screw holes all lined up as planned so that was a win.
I think the proportions worked out OK but may have been better with the dome a bit further forward, that would have been two more cuts to the boiler which I didn't want to do as it would reduce the strength a lot - these models are 30 years old now and the plastic is far more brittle than it was, had a couple of splits to the cab whilst cutting it down which I wasn't expecting!
Then weather it down to match the rest of my fleet and I'll call it a success!

Jimmy, as you can see it's indoor modelling.

Mogul 2.jpg

Mogul 3.jpg

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Another 'square on' picture.
Cab shortened 10mm, boiler shortened 40mm. The tender is also shortened 50mm.

Mogul 1a.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nicely proportioned loco :clap::clap:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am using a very similar method outside but instead of using plaster I am using "Acrylic Render" a mix used to cover concrete blocks (cinder blocks?) on houses.
The render is coloured with concrete oxides and fine gravel mixed in to give texture.
I use artist acrylic paint to tint acrylic house paint.

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Not spent a lot of time on the loco this last week but tidied up the joints and a second coat of paint has been applied.
Thought a couple of comparison shots with an 'unmolested' Big Hauler might be of interest.
Time to do some weathering now and find a crew!

Mogul 9.jpg

Mogul 11.jpg

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Getting on with the weathering, here's a few pictures showing what I do - not necessarily the right or wrong way, just how I do it !

I use acrylic paints, four colours, black, white, rust and earth. First step is to dry brush some rust streaks, white deposits from safety valves etc. and black wash on the smokebox, and rods, it will look a bit 'harsh' but will come together later.

Mogul 12.jpg

Now it's time for the airbrush, nothing special just a cheap two stage brush. A spray of earth colour well watered down - we don't want to cover the paint just tone it down.

Mogul 13.jpg

Don't go too heavy, several thin passes to build up the effect to your liking. When your happy with that then do the same with a thin grey wash in the airbrush which pulls everything together on the base black colour.
Let it dry overnight and repeat the stages to get the effect you want - don't try to get it all on the first session !
The crew are 'Action Force' military figures suitably adjusted, getting short of these now but haven't seen them in the shops recently.

So here's where I am at the moment, I'll live with it for a few days and see if I want to have another pass or not.

Mogul 15.jpg

Mogul 16.jpg

Mogul 17.jpg

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Temptation got the better of me !
I went over it with some more earth colour, particularly on the tender and loco bottom half.
Interesting that the same phone camera produces slightly different results under the same lighting, must learn to use it properly or get my decent camera out !

Mogul 18a.jpg