analogue control: voltage and amps

GerryF

Registered
22 Aug 2012
Best answers
Hi, would appreciate advice on a couple of things I'm struggling with.
I have a Piko G starter set with a 20v DCC 1amp controller, but I want to run more than one train at the same time, preferably on a gradient so that I can use the raised part of track as a bridge, with the returning track looped and going back underneath. I also have points that I want to be power operated in the future.
1. How do you control more than one train (and accessories) with one controller?
2. Should I be able to do all the above with this controller?
3.?? Can the track be used to power the points etc, or do they require external wiring?

Many thanks in advance of any help offered

Gerry

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest you get a copy of "The PSL Book of Model Railway Wiring" by CJ Freezer, published by Patrick Stephens Ltd 1995 (or possibly there's a later edition). ISBN 1-85260-173-6. Your local library will have a copy or be able to get you one. Everything you need should be in there.

I should have added that the last half-dozen issues of "Garden Railways" have included articles on related topics, including running two trains round an oval with one controller , using an automated passing loop, station stops and the like.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
1. How do you control more than one train (and accessories) with one controller?
If you want 2 trains running at the same time, then you can't unless you have a second controller for the other train. You will also need to section your track if you have a single line or circuit. But if you change to DCC, then you can do this.
2. Should I be able to do all the above with this controller?
Does your controller have an AC accessories output? I guess not in a basic set, but some of the LGB ones do.
3.?? Can the track be used to power the points etc, or do they require external wiring?
Not with analogue I'm afraid but you can with DCC. You will need the AC accessories output, extra external wiring and a means of points switching, such as the points switch box....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gerry,

1) you won't be able to control more than one train at the same time under analogue power, unless you want both trains to move the same way at the same speed; theoretically you could just about get away with this if you had two trains that were pretty evenly-matched for speed, and set them up on opposite sides of a large loop so they simply chase each other round, but obviously any movement of the controls would affect both trains equally. If you mean running one train at a time but having others "parked" on the layout waiting their turn, then you need some isolated sections of track (sidings or passing loops) where you can put a loco and switch off the power to the bit it is parked on.

2) I think Piko locos generally draw a bit more current than (say) LGB motors do, and a 1 amp controller may struggle with anything more than a single-motor loco, especially on gradients. If you ever want to add something bigger such a two-motor loco, you'll probably need something with a bit more "oomph"....

3) with analogue power, you will need separate cables to all points, signals and other powered accessories, connecting them to a power supply via a switch box of some sort.

As Eaglecliffe noted, a good book on basic model railway wiring (there are several, and probably a lot of easy-to-find stuff on the web too) will explain it - while much will relate to the smaller scales and indoor layouts, the electrical principles are the same.

Jon.

Edit: Gizzy typed his reply quicker than I did.... ;)

GerryF

Registered
22 Aug 2012
Best answers
Thanks for info everyone, certainly cleared up a few things for me.
I'll get a book, as suggested too.

Could I also ask another question?
My Piko starter kit came with a mains transformer which is then attached to the train controller, which in turn, is attached to the track.
I'm going to go DCC - but do I still need to buy a different transformer as well as a DCC handset?
thanks again, Gerry

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Depends which DCC system you buy. Some brands will do a set with the transformer included, others let you buy the transformer separately.
The transformer with your DC start set is probably only rated for about 1 amp, whereas I think even "small" DCC systems for our large scale trains probably allow say 2.5 amps to let you run 2-3 trains at the same time.

I have an NCE PowerPro 10 amp DCC system for my main G scale system, which required the purchase of a separate transformer. For my small scale trains I also have an NCE PowerCab DCC system which can handle about 2.5 amps I think (this came with a transformer).

My first ever DCC system was a Fleischmann N gauge starter DCC system which is only 1 amp (also came with a transformer).

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
GerryF said:
I'm going to go DCC - but do I still need to buy a different transformer as well as a DCC handset?
Gerry
In theory, possibly not, but in practise, you will buy a DCC system complete with transformer of 5A rating for LGB (not sure about PIKO).

As your railway grows, with more locos, powered points and lights you will need this extra current.

A friend of mine with a 12A Massoth 1200Z is already on his max current limits, when all his locos with their lights on are on the track....