An oddball critter, a traction engine rail conversion

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
A gent from another board sent me an Aristo-Craft Eggliner/Lil Critter power brick with the instructions, "Build something interesting with it!"
P7300002.jpg

Interesting? How interesting? I looked through my 'someday' files and found this picture of a traction engine/rail conversion used by a company called Pacific Face Brick Co. in Oregon prior to 1907.
PacificFaceBrickCo.jpg

Interesting, but that big toolbox and the angle obscured a lot of important details. Then while trolling feebay I found another picture of a different conversion, this one in Ohio. AND it was of the off side as well!
Pa3.jpg

Both appear to have been constructed from an 1890's vintage Russell traction engine of about 10HP. These were built in Massilon Ohio.
P6280016_01.jpg

Later, larger, Russells had a bolted-on cast iron smokebox.
P6280033.jpg

I happened to have most of a later style Russell toy, made by Kester's Old-Time Collectibles in Illinois.... and part of a junked freight car in my scrap box. Since it won't be an exact model of either, I decided to use the features that I liked best from both prototypes....
P7300001.jpg

An LGB headlight and coal bin, a simple spring belt drive to the crankshaft, which has a half twist so that the crankshaft turns the proper direction while the loco is in motion....
P7310003.jpg

Remember that honking big toolbox? A block of wood covered with coffee stirrers looks about right...
P7310003.jpg

Front view, the boiler is offset to clear the drive. No odder looking than a Shay, or is it?
P7310002.jpg

Much more to do before it's finished... Buffer beams, governor, short open canopy cab, water tank and injector, water column, controls, etc. This one is a lot of fun to build, I might even be sad when it's done

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Lovely bit of modelling - look forward to seeing progress on this one.

I do have a soft spot for traction engine locos - Kent Cement works, Brill Tramway etc. BTW is that a rather slack drive chain on the Ohio loco? Hanging down below the top of the rail it must have been prone to snagging trackside debris, unless all the ytrack was slightly raised, as in the picture.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Brillant idea :)

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The car behind the Kersey (Ohio) loco looks an awful lot like a Bachmann side dump mine car. Best guess is it was either used in a quarry or for construction.

As for the chain, the sprockets are almost as big as the wheels, with no idler to tighten it with. Definitely a wonderful bit of bodging there. Power appears to still be transmitted through the traction engine gearing - including the differential! I can't help but wonder if he locked the differential, or if there is another chain on the other side as well? Also, if you look closely, the entire steering assembly - including front axle appears to still be intact.... Maybe it was just intended to be a temporary conversion?

I really wish I knew the story behind these.

hehehe---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1k-tJXtXc

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Almost finished -- just some detailing and weathering yet. It was a lot of fun building something that's SUPPOSED to look kludged together.
I decided to use Lehmann car steps on the pilots because they were here.
P8010002.jpg

The B'mann brakeman got a promotion, of sorts. And there is a GoW bulb in the lantern...
P8010003.jpg

Almost ready for work, but I'm still working on a backstory for it.
P8010004.jpg

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice job!

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
6aeda0b107be41ceb5e2ca043124f9aa.jpg

Very nice Mik, heres my live steam 1/10th showman's Alyn

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Had state inspection today on my big beast. It passed just fine, but hydro tests are a royal pain in the butt. -- I came home so totally soggy that I had to take a shower to get dry.
SUNP0003.jpg

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Mik, that's a fine bit of kit, what was the recipe? Alyn

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
It's most of a 1917 25HP 20th Century traction engine - that lost it's undercarriage to the WWII scrap drive, plus a 1956 Ford F-8 dump truck frame.

pic from about '35
20th1.jpg