nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
johnsaintjim said:
nico said:
just a taught ,what about filling the area with epoxy glue ,and drill holes on the sides to let the glue seep through then screw into it when it hardens ?

Err yes, good idea.

I must say I thought it was a bit strange for a man who could build a railway like yours not to have a few ideas about how to fix the broken coupling...;)

i like to plenty of ideas Graham,to be sure to be sure:D

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
I didnt had the same problem, but nearly:
I mounted Kaddees on my coaches, and that is nearly the same problem to solve.

As some people said, the best way is to roughen up the inner side of this little green palsticbox (where your screwpile broke off), fill it with some 2 components (epoxy) filler, best with some fiber glas in (for car repairings).
Then with making it even, u have the best platform to mount something in or on.
It works, i tried it.

What did u do for the bad running performance of the coaches?

regs

Frank

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
coyote97 said:
I didnt had the same problem, but nearly:
I mounted Kaddees on my coaches, and that is nearly the same problem to solve.

As some people said, the best way is to roughen up the inner side of this little green palsticbox (where your screwpile broke off), fill it with some 2 components (epoxy) filler, best with some fiber glas in (for car repairings).
Then with making it even, u have the best platform to mount something in or on.
It works, i tried it.

What did u do for the bad running performance of the coaches?

regs

Frank

bad running performance of the coaches?

bad running performance of the coaches? please enlighten me Frank as i have not run them yet

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I would roughen up the edges of the box and the post that is still attached to the coupler. Fill the box on the underside of the coach with epxoy. Place the coupling and post in the correct position on the coach while the epoxy is still liquid. Effectively casting a new socket around the post attached to the coupling. Might have to make a 'dam' on the inboard end of the box that you are pouring the epoxy into.

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
hi Nico,

oh the heck...now i have onemore time to search for the words......so be patient and full of phantasy... :D

The coaches have "sliding gears", what would not be of any interest, because most other cars have, too.
But with the coaches, the drilling for the axles is not directly in the axle-gearbox. there is a sort of sleeve or bushing between.
For this sleeve,the drilling in the axlebox is MUCH too big.
Wouldnt be a problem though.....but the axles themselves are a bit to short to give all a proper direction. the ends of the axles are not deep enough in the sleeves.
The sleeves tend to "cant" or "tilt" and the axle gets some kind of clamp.
That effect is tricky:
when u lift the car and turn it over, the axles run smooth and fine.
Even when u lift it just to turn the axles, they run fine.

But everytime the weight of the coach (what is not too less.....) comes on the toggling sleeves, the moving gets clamped. Not completely, just a bit like braking.
e.g. my coaches dont move themselves on a 3% incline!!!!! The hard it is for the locos to pull them up!

I changed the axle-ends of one coach from 4mm to 3mm and put mini-ballbearings on. The axle-boxes are THAT instable, that sometimes i loose an axle of this car.....:D the axles themselves werent longer because of the ballbearing!

But running is that fine then! Used to have no movement at all, i just put the car on a place where i thought it should be even. It took a long starting along a 4% incline and made the following 1200mm radius-curve on the outer wheels, ran through an even, 6m long station and bumped into the trackend.
All critical trackpoints with an about 1m freefall on concrete in case of derailment.

Nothing happened...all is fine.

I decided to go in, take a coffee and become a nervous breackdown.

Frank

P.S.: my solution with the ballbearings isnt very good....but at least, it IS one!

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Nico,

One reason for the drag these coaches have when running is that AMS decided to add wiper contacts to both bogies for powering the lights (there are 4 grain of wheat bulbs in the clerestory).

These wipers produce a lot of drag, you can remove them, and either add LED lighting strips or leave the bulbs there and add a box on the chassis for a 9volt (rectangular) battery to power the lights instead, add a slide switch at the same time. This could also be placed in the toilet compartment but a charging jack is then needed as the battery is in this method, hidden.

No connection with them but T&M models (01270 216200) make some LED light kits, they also have an e-bay site, and I am sure others will make them as well.

The coaches will come apart, there are 4 screws per side that hold the body & roof onto the chassis and floor units; be careful of the wires going to the bogie wiper units when taking them apart. They will need a bit of brute force as the floor (etc) unit slots into a groove on the inside of the body - small screwdrivers help in keeping the sides out of the groove on the inside of the sides, from sneaking back to the floor units, sounds a bit complicated to say the least, IF taking them apart gently tease the ends free, they are tight, but will come loose, then from the centre tweak the sides off that groove and use small scrtewdrivers or pieces of 1 or 1.5mm scarp plastic to keep it out, moving towards the ends, where it will become more difficult to move it, a small amount of detergent will help it to slip outwards, and don't forget to wipe it off when free.

The sides and ends can be unscrewed to their respective parts. Also a UK company (Rio Grande Models (UK) make laser cut replacement sides: they are about £75 a set and are direct replacements.

Their website is at http://sites.google.com/site/riograndemodelsuk no connection with them though I do have a set of sides, which for my early railroad purposes will need a couple of windows cut into them. For c.1900 or so onwards they are correct - mine will be c. 1880, and thus need the change/extra.

extra details have added to original reply, by Peter Bunce..

Yours Peter

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
They will need a bit of brute force as the floor (etc) unit slots into a groove on the inside of the body - small svcrewdrivers help in keepin the sides out of the groove on the sides
peterbunce said:
I figured that out......and nearly broke it...those coaches are nice, but cost my 10 years of living due to stress.

Frank

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
The Accucraft knuckles look good with can be a bit fragile and I find they have 2 common faults. The first being that the centering springs some times pop out and get lost. The other is that they don't seem to stay at constant height from car to car. Since you are pulling them with a Bachmann loco a good alternative might be to fit knew Bachmann Spectrum couplers and mounting pockets as they are easy to get from dealers. The Spectrum couplers are over-sized but are more robust and the spring works better and stay at a constant height.

Not had any problem with my AMS knuckles - yet :D

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
funandtrains said:
The Accucraft knuckles look good with can be a bit fragile and I find they have 2 common faults. The first being that the centering springs some times pop out and get lost. The other is that they don't seem to stay at constant height from car to car. Since you are pulling them with a Bachmann loco a good alternative might be to fit knew Bachmann Spectrum couplers and mounting pockets as they are easy to get from dealers. The Spectrum couplers are over-sized but are more robust and the spring works better and stay at a constant height.

where can i get them online?????

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
Rhinochugger said:
funandtrains said:

where can i get them online?????

I don't know anywhere that advertises them on their website Nico. The two main stockists of AMS wagons are Back2Bay6 and Kent Garden Rail.

Andrew at Garden Railway Centres (Cheltenham) also lists AMS wagons on his website, but is pretty low on stock right now.

You'll have to ring them in da morning if they're not snowbound.

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag