American Live Steam enquiry

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Folks,
I have pretty well converted my railway,into an American Rail Road.Authentic is down to opinion...But i did have a real live American bloke round a few weeks back,and he liked it Ha Ha !!All my stock is now American,Apart from my one Live Steamie..A radio controlled "Roundhouse Billy",which simply now looks out of place.As such,i am looking at the idea of selling Billy,(Very little used) to raise money toward an American Live Steam loco.I have not advertised Billy as yet.As all my curves are LGB Rad 2,with 4 rad 1`s as well,i`m looking at a smallish loco.I have been told about the Accucraft Forney,and also the Accucraft,"Lyn"...in Black Livery..Which would actually suit,the prototype being built in America,i`m told.

Does anyone here know much about the above locos,...Does anyone own either...??.Was wondering if R/Controll could be fitted to the Forney.To be honest,i`m looking at something a little bigger than the forney.....Perhaps a Live Steam Rogers 2 4 2...Anyone know about these please.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Ade.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
delivery of oblivion said:
Hi Folks,
I have pretty well converted my railway,into an American Rail Road.Authentic is down to opinion...But i did have a real live American bloke round a few weeks back,and he liked it Ha Ha !!All my stock is now American,Apart from my one Live Steamie..A radio controlled "Roundhouse Billy",which simply now looks out of place.As such,i am looking at the idea of selling Billy,(Very little used) to raise money toward an American Live Steam loco.I have not advertised Billy as yet.As all my curves are LGB Rad 2,with 4 rad 1`s as well,i`m looking at a smallish loco.I have been told about the Accucraft Forney,and also the Accucraft,"Lyn"...in Black Livery..Which would actually suit,the prototype being built in America,i`m told.

Does anyone here know much about the above locos,...Does anyone own either...??.Was wondering if R/Controll could be fitted to the Forney.To be honest,i`m looking at something a little bigger than the forney.....Perhaps a Live Steam Rogers 2 4 2...Anyone know about these please.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Ade.
Funny I was just looking around the Accucraft US web site they have just what your looking for!!
Try here...........................
http://www.accucraft.com/index.php?show_aux_page=157

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Minimans

The Black Forney really looks the part to be honest.I was wondering if it can be fitted with R/C...I`ll have to e-mail them...

Cheers

Ade

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Your welcome I saw that they have the Carradoc and edrig on the site now so I gave them a call and lo and behold I can buy them direct from the wherehouse for $695.00 thats 430 pounds in old money, is that cheap?..........................

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Caradoc from PPS listed at £534 or £724 R/C, but I do know his website needs updating (some boxes may be ariving this weekend) so maybe a bit more than that now.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
Your welcome I saw that they have the Carradoc and edrig on the site now so I gave them a call and lo and behold I can buy them direct from the wherehouse for $695.00 thats 430 pounds in old money, is that cheap?..........................

Well the shop site below, run by a GSC member, is offering a clearance sale Carradoc for GBP 485 including vat, so GBP 430 ex sales tax seems fair. I doubt you'd get one shipped from Europe for that sort of price.

http://www.track-shack.com/index.php?cat=Accucraft_Live_Steam_Locomotives_G_Scale_16mm < Link To http://www.track-shack.co...comotives_G_Scale_16mm

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just viewed this Forney Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUVYktez9E

Looks much better in action than on the still picture.To be honest,the other Black liveried 24 4 forney loco,really fills my requirements in looks....Question is...Can it be fitted with R/C.I have to get R/C,due to the gradients on my rail road.Does anyone know what kind of running time you get out of these locos on a full boil up.I currently can get about 20 to 25 mins with my Billy.Don`t really want to buy a loco with LESS running time than this.

Thanks

Ade

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good Neil...I checked out the Track Shak pages...Blimey the locos are cheap.The black Forney 2 44 and green 0 4 2..Just over 500 quid.Again..Million dollar question..Can they be supplied with R/C,And how long can they steam ?? Have e-mailed the shop to ask .

Cheers

Ade.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
As this is basically a Ruby with a big behind I would say yes without a problem they even make a modular plug in R/C servo unit for the Ruby.............................
e6ef2d5a69ab483b8fd8b09dcbf33ca4.jpg

87dd9b6d4a334ff28cc660c0cd8df6d1.jpg

I cant help think of my old hot-rod from the eighties whenever the name Ruby crops up. V8 Austin 7 Ruby, called Ruby tuesday............

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Its a bit quirky but how about a Roundhouse Sammie with R/C fitting kit. I saw one running at a show and was surprised how much better it looks in the flesh.

JoelB

Registered
19 Feb 2010
New England
Best answers
Accucraft have introduced (with nearly no fanfare whatsoever) another US prototype tank engine, based approximately on a standard 0-4-2T common on sugar plantations, logging railroads and the like. It's basically a re-skinned Ruby, but with lots of detail. No clue yet as to when it will be in dealers' hands...

See URL http://www.accucraft.com/index.php?show_aux_page=158

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I am interested in a Billy , let us Know how you intend to sell .
Cheers Garry

Steveg58

Gauge 1 @ 1:24 modeling West Australian if possibl
12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
Hi Ade,

Have you considered americanizing your billy to look like a small Baldwin? Take a look at the Roundhouse Pooter americanized here: http://www.sidestreetbannerworks.com/locos/loco105.html < Link To http://www.sidestreetbann...com/locos/loco105.html

Adding a balloon stack, Baldwin style steam and sand domes, an air pump, and an american style cab will make it almost unrecognizable.

Steve

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
SIG had an article on 'Mericanizing a Billy back in 2006 or so. Looked the part when done.

pmorgan_cym

Registered
22 Apr 2010
Best answers
Country flag
JoelB said:
Accucraft have introduced (with nearly no fanfare whatsoever) another US prototype tank engine, based approximately on a standard 0-4-2T common on sugar plantations, logging railroads and the like. It's basically a re-skinned Ruby, but with lots of detail. No clue yet as to when it will be in dealers' hands...

See URL http://www.accucraft.com/index.php?show_aux_page=158

Thats quite a cute looking loco, shame it's not gauge convertable, other wise it'd be on my list.

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
minimans said:
... they even make a modular plug in R/C servo unit for the Ruby...

Minimans - who supplies this kit, is it Accucraft?

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the info/help everyone...will be advertising Billy at some point soon,on For Sales section....Need to look at the How to Americanise a Billy link though first..As i say..Thanks everyone

cheers

Ade

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
wow, i understand about wanting a matching US style loco

but if you love running LS

itd be a cold day before i swapped a roundhouse for an accucraft-especially a stock ruby

agree about a considering a rebuild-typcially a cab alone will do it, and if you can, domes, pilot  and headlight do the final act

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers