All change at Rockery Ridge

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have spent the weekend putting in a passing loop at Duck siding (Which is no longer a siding) . After the loop was complete i had an idea of relocating Rockery Ridge Station on the loop this was put in for planning SWMBO and passed :clap:So Rockery Ridge is now in it's new location . With the station out of the way i could change the track layout to cut out the "S" bends that give my larger locos problems .The main line is now straight with a passing loop and line that branches off to the upper line . Track is now on order to finish the alterations . In doing this i have cut out three "S" bends two in the old station and one in Duck Siding now Rockery Ridge this will make it allot easier running my Alco PA PB and K-27 locos .:D
55926b533f37461abff2401c2fab3cfc.jpg

d835f7b32db84f91bb7d94baf08460be.jpg

Rokery Ridge in it's new location on the new passing loop
730245dd7bb848318e222f2698d4a80a.jpg

ee5278803aee46209f0281da10f78a19.jpg

New track layout thats going down on the old Rockery Ridge location

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
That seems to become nice.....
though it seems, it was nice before, too.

Greetings

Frank

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Never resting on your laurels Richie. Won't the little folk be confused when they turn up to board the local? ;)

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Never resting on your laurels Richie. Won't the little folk be confused when they turn up to board the local? ;)

Had no problems with the locals Mike as they never seem to catch a train :happy: They just came with the move but they could get confused going home where ever that might be :happy:

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me :clap:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
from what i can make out of the depot its looks great-POLA?-
chances for a more revealing pic?
pleeez

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
stevedenver said:
from what i can make out of the depot its looks great-POLA?-
chances for a more revealing pic?
pleeez

Hi Steve
The station and water tank are all made from wood and metal , i copied them from pics in the Pola catalouge as at the time i couldn't afford the plastic kits, built both for arond £60 they have stood out in the garden for several years now get a paint job every other year will get some close up shots for you Steve.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Looking nice Richie,

There was me thinking you were already set for Big American locos? By the way I'll hold you to the offer of testing your new layout with my ML4000 when she's finished, she's vely long and will really test your track laying!:D

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks spot on Richie. Station sits nice in amongst that planting.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A first class job, it all blends in excellently

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Many thanks for all your kind comments :clap: Here's a few close up shots of my hand built station and tank :D

Station built with marine ply and covered with wooden strips
aae26ebefe4e424984f623661ade0bb4.jpg

Close up of window and planking
5040d24b1de148f0a89ad2341e971177.jpg

Full pic of water tank
e0e499bb62ca46fc88e11c70d30720b5.jpg

Close up of support legs
6214a70815f642bcb501dc002bdde005.jpg

Close up of metal nuts and washers on steel rods
641471bd49544ea796a39842ff26e7ca.jpg

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Track arrived today from South Wales :clap:have cut track to length and put down loosly and wired up the points and tested that they work . Will relay track on ballast at the week end and finish off with some planting .

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Put the track down with ballast using copper grease on the fish plates tonight ,has made a great improvement to the line taking out the "S" bends :clap: Just need to test with K-27 loco for clearance :banghead:

Pic of station in it's old position how it used to look
45b71d77bf0545b88127db77a4464a0b.jpg

How it looks now :D
0e19bfa594d645cca3ee0b6a25e6d17f.jpg

9038437b7b4645e3a5d20afb9afbff81.jpg

866b360bdaae4247ab0b016b8ee7cad3.jpg

Duck siding how it used to be
da359ed605e64e3b9370562125278d67.jpg

And how it looks now with Rockery Ridge station and passing loop:D
dea77ac0a3904365b6e9f504952f8752.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richie
An effective change and good repositioning!

I too have been making extra passing loops. Had to dig up another 'sliver' of the lawn and a couple of my beloved 'miniature' trees to make way for the track but it gives me the option of now having four consists ready to roll using block wiring. I will post a couple of photies tomorrow but of course you will be able to pass the expert eye over them in person in a couple of weeks! I tested the loops out with various locos and during the testing I discovered that my 'Bumble bee' Annie has developed a weird problem where it seems that power pickup is
intermittently compromised especially in reverse... also the chuff sensors do not seem to be operating...very strange as I have just overhauled it! Probably something I have done as my other 'Annie' ran fine as did all the test diesels. Oh well, back to the workshop............

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
I tested the loops out with various locos and during the testing I discovered that my 'Bumble bee' Annie has developed a weird problem where it seems that power pickup is intermittently compromised especially in reverse... also the chuff sensors do not seem to be operating...very strange as I have just overhauled it! Probably something I have done as my other 'Annie' ran fine as did all the test diesels. Oh well, back to the workshop............
Personally I think the prime suspects to be the plugs and wiring between loco and tender.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Personally I think the prime suspects to be the plugs and wiring between loco and tender.

Hi Neil

The plugs were firmly lodged. Would the pickup of power causing the 'jerky' motion be affected by the light or sound connection to the tender?

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Neil Robinson said:

Hi Neil

The plugs were firmly lodged. Would the pickup of power causing the 'jerky' motion be affected by the light or sound connection to the tender?

Hi Mike
Might sound a stupid quesition Mike but i have mixed the two wires up in the past with lights and sound are they in the right sockets also the two wires that go into the sockets work loose i some time have sound then loose sound wiggle wire and works again .

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richie
I probably have not explained the prob well enough.
The motion is jerky as if there is binding but when on the test bed everything is fine. When on the track there is a definite lack of smoothness especially at low speed. This is when pulling or not pulling a load. The plugs are the correct way around and seated well. The sound is there but the chuff can hardly be heard over the 'background hiss'. My other Annie has a much better chuff to hiss ratio.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Hi Richie
The motion is jerky as if there is binding but when on the test bed everything is fine. When on the track there is a definite lack of smoothness especially at low speed. This is when pulling or not pulling a load. The plugs are the correct way around and seated well. The sound is there but the chuff can hardly be heard over the 'background hiss'. My other Annie has a much better chuff to hiss ratio.

:wits::thinking: Sorry Mike can't help with this

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Hi Richie

'Bumble bee' Annie

Hi
I had an identical effect on a similar loco, just after i installed a new set of gears, i spent ages trying to figure out what i had done wrong.
As you said ran fine on a test bed but rough on the tack.
Eventually traced to one of the pick up wires on the leading pony truck, it had got crimped during re-assembly, and was makeing intermitent contact,
Better when pushed than pulled ?. and of course on the test bed not a problem because all the other wheels were getting a near perfect power feed.

Worth a look or test feed

And Richie the new loop looks really good, and the station is brill. :admire:

P.S. can i come over one day and get a closer look 'Please'