aldi gas powered soldering unit

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi,</font></p><p><font size="3">A short while ago the thread regarding bonding was mentioned; rather than Hi Jack that thread I have stared another as having just been down to Aldi in there thay have a butane gas powered 135watt equivalent, soldering unit, at &pound;12.99 each.</font></p><p><font size="3">This has a hefty bit (very like in size the Weller trigger operated (electric) versions a long while ago!). There is also onthe packet and address in the UK for spares as the bits may wear out.</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p><font size="3">Both Aldi & Lidl operate a specials policy, buy a few (per store) and hope they sell, so there may not be any at your local store, neither do the units (as above) appear in their newsletters. Howwever if you do not have a high wattage iron they may be worth a look! </font></p><p><font size="3">They may also have a electronic vernier caliper with a dual mm/inch display at &pound;8.99 each.</font></p><p><font size="3">No connection with either store, which incidentally are run by brothers. </font></p><p><font size="3">Yours Peter.</font> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p><font size="3" /></p>

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
got the gas one, needs testing, but a impressive bit off kit :clap:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
in its own boxs, and a few bits

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
They look OK, are they easy to use and are they better than a soldring iron

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Bram, </font></p><p><font size="3">I have not bought one of the ALDI ones but have got one that is the same basic type, but is smaller - that is made by Nimrod Europe and is up to 70 watts they say. </font></p><p><font size="3">That is very good, and useful as there is no electric cord to get in the way. </font></p><p><font size="3">The Aldi one has a larger body to contain more gas, as a result of the greater size of the bit I would think + other attachments from Mikes photos.</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p><font size="3">Would I buy one? Yes, if I did not have my other high wattage soldering irons from my Father in Law's estate.</font></p><p><font size="3">Yours Peter. </font></p><p><font size="3"> </font></p>

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
<p>I have a minaiature gas powered one that I must have had for over 20yrs. It is an excellent highly controllable little device which is reloaded from ordinary cigarette lighter refills.</p><p>I could never cope with electric ones - the cable always seemed to get in the way!</p>

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
Cheeky Monkey - 23/11/2009 5:54 PM great bit of kit heats really quickly, only downside is theres no stand so you have to be careful when you put it down (kitchen worktop Mike)
</p><p>:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: </p>

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
If its a big tip your after then how about this baby from Clas Ohlson - http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product?id=80297647 < Link To http://www.clasohlson.co....oduct?id=80297647 :D

Trouble is it's still got that darn long cable thingy sticking out of the other end. :D

I'm thinking of getting one though as I've not had much luck with gas powered jobbies in the past. Fortunately I live fairly close to Manchester so I can get to the store (once the snow releases me from the Peak District) as Clas Ohlson do not trade online as yet.

Ade