Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK

Who uses what - and how much are they?

Might be time to invest in something v. moderately priced :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Modest eh?
Theres an E - bay offering of a compressor and two airbrushes with it for £75. Ok for outside rail work. Not the cream of the crop but adequate for most purposes. It sells on some web pages for anything between £75 and £150!! and in some hobby mags . Just have to Google E - bay.

You're far too modest - I was thinking around £15 :brokeheart::brokeheart:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Bought a compressor and 2 airbrushes on ebay, BIN price £45. I have yet to use them but they look fine to me.

Looked the same as the ones for going for £70 +

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
ROSS said:
Modest eh?
Theres an E - bay offering of a compressor and two airbrushes with it for £75. Ok for outside rail work. Not the cream of the crop but adequate for most purposes. It sells on some web pages for anything between £75 and £150!! and in some hobby mags . Just have to Google E - bay.

You're far too modest - I was thinking around £15 :brokeheart::brokeheart:

You can get something for around £15 but will soon get fed up with it, spend the +/- £50 for a good 'un (usually two at this price) with compressor and enjoy yourself. N.B. the ones with cups are fine for small quantities but I prefer the jar type and use the Tamiya paints in screw-cap jars.
Bought mine here:
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/AIRBRUSH_KITS_AND_SPARES.html < Link To http://www.rdgtools.co.uk...H_KITS_AND_SPARES.html

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
i bought one in Boots they were selling them off, a tanning spray compressor,haven't used it yet.me or the buildings could be looking good for the summer:rofl:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
As with all things. You only get what you pay for, sometimes only if you're lucky. Many many years ago I had one of the early Humbrol ones, and wore it out very quickly. Since then I bought a Paasche and wouldn't go past it. Drawback? A lot of pennies.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
It depends on what you want to use it for Chuggy? If it's for actually spraying models, you need a pretty good one (which costs of course). If you just want to do the odd bit of weathering, a cheapish one as often seen on ebay is fine. Then (like me) you might get into it and invest in a compressor etc.

A few years ago I visited a railway (US outline) that had some absolutely brilliantly weathered stock. The chap who did the weathering used to work as a proffesional modeller in the movie industry (including Starwars) and he reckoned that he never spent more than 20 quid on an airbrush. That was a while ago, so perhaps you need to add a bit to that, but I've still never seen better results.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Paid £50 for my set at a Toy auction last year couldnt live with out it They are all Badger,
2 are for dusting large areas and laquer and the bottom one is for fine work and can go down to a pen line width

Tony

airbrush001.jpg
"
028-1.jpg
"

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I bought mine from cab4357 on ebay, he had 5 left 2 weekd ago. They are brand new, boxed and unopend

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
OK

Who uses what - and how much are they?

Might be time to invest in something v. moderately priced :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Agree with most comments so far.... but whatever you buy make sure it has a moisture trap! my ebay deal (I mean the one I bought) at a tad over £50 does a good job and you can always buy better quality air bruishes to fit/as you need them:clap:

Regards
Rob

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Dear,

what have I done? :happy:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Oh Dear,

what have I done? :happy:

Open the valves for a lot of hot air?? :D

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
I have an Revolution CR with a 0.3 mm needle kit retro fitted( so the range is about 10thou to 2 inches. Double action brush with an Iwata Studio Smart handle tank compressor.

I use this chap, prices are fair service good.,

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/airbrushes.html

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bram said:
I bought mine from cab4357 on ebay, he had 5 left 2 weekd ago. They are brand new, boxed and unopend

He doesn't seem to have any on the go at the moment.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I looked on EBAY for one and found a kit at RGD TOOLS ONLINE, it comes with 3 nozzle sizes is dual action and has moisture trap on compressor. It turned out they were local to me so I popped over to pick it up. They are model engineering suppliers so I got a few other bits as well.
I am practising with the airbrush at the moment and it seems fine. They have a website too.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used to use a cheap £20 one when I was younger - then moved up to a Badger 200 set (£60ish with rattle can propellant) and then last summer got an Expo tools £100 job one - a great investment. I find it gets great results, using a compressor and moisture trap. Depends on what you want one for though - weathering or just spraying a solid colour/varnish.