Air Erasers

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I needed to re-solder a broken truss rod / turnbuckle connection on an Accucraft caboose. Removing the factory paint was proving to be a problem. I tried everything from alcohol to acetone. Nothing I tried cut through that tough factory applied (epoxy?)paint. I figured I would have to rig up some sort of sand blaster to get the brass clean enough to solder. Then I read an article by Dan Windoph in the Sept/Oct 2020 issue of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. Dan described how he cleaned up the soldering flux residue with a Paasche Air Eraser.

A good deal on one is around $70 US. I bought one and five pounds of 400 grit aluminum oxide medium. I'm very impressed with function and durability. I'm still experimenting with this nicely made tool. One note of caution,: Wear a mask to avoid breathing the cutting medium and don't use it around any machinery... the cutting medium will instantly add years of wear to any machines it touches.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I needed to re-solder a broken truss rod / turnbuckle connection on an Accucraft caboose. Removing the factory paint was proving to be a problem. I tried everything from alcohol to acetone. Nothing I tried cut through that tough factory applied (epoxy?)paint. I figured I would have to rig up some sort of sand blaster to get the brass clean enough to solder. Then I read an article by Dan Windoph in the Sept/Oct 2020 issue of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. Dan described how he cleaned up the soldering flux residue with a Paasche Air Eraser.

A good deal on one is around $70 US. I bought one and five pounds of 400 grit aluminum oxide medium. I'm very impressed with function and durability. I'm still experimenting with this nicely made tool. One note of caution,: Wear a mask to avoid breathing the cutting medium and don't use it around any machinery... the cutting medium will instantly add years of wear to any machines it touches.
You could try baking soda as the blast medium, interesting article here: Soda Blasting – Pros & Cons & What it is