Advice on settings for MyLocoSound large diesel for a Class 66 (in the UK)

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
I'm new to this. I've bought a Fosworks radio controlled battery powered Class 66 fitted with a MyLocoSounds large diesel card. But as a novice I'm stuck with two of the options when setting up the card. I'd welcome advice on which options to select as detailed below.
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• MYLOCOSOUND - ENGINE TYPE for large scale diesel 07 and 08 part of.jpg
    MYLOCOSOUND - ENGINE TYPE for large scale diesel 07 and 08 part of.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have a remote to change the settings?

Very much, it is your loco, and what sounds good to you.

The British defaults are not bad, but you will not get an 'authentic' 66 sound from the card.

PhilP

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have a remote to change the settings?

Very much, it is your loco, and what sounds good to you.

The British defaults are not bad, but you will not get an 'authentic' 66 sound from the card.

PhilP
Hi Philp,

I have a Sony TV remote and reset the parameters to the defaults before making my selections.

Mainly I wasn't sure about the engine sound. Whether a Class 66 has an exhaust beat ? On the other hand doesn't a Class 66 have an EMD engine which is the US default ?

I would say the sound is quite distorted especially at low volume. This is particularly noticeable on "starting the engine".

I've noticed from past postings you have a couple of Class 66s, do you have MyLocoSound card(s) ?

Perhaps others will "have their sixpenneth".

Regards,
Joe

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jo,

Yes, I have MLS cards...

Disclaimer:
I trade as RC Trains.

Distorted sound is usually either low supply voltage, or the supply not being able to supply enough current - What supply are you using?
Is the loco fully charged?

The large diesel card (I assume it is a blue circuit board?) is synthesised sounds, so you may think the sound is 'distorted' compared with cards costing many times more.

There is a newer 'enhanced' card, which has more recorded 'real' sounds.

PhilP

Last edited:

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
The batteries are 12 x VP 3700. The no load voltage shows as 15.4V. They were last charged about 3 weeks ago and have not been used since.

Yes, the large diesel card has a blue circuit board.

I had heard of a Premium Steam sound card but not diesel.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've had a look at your website.

Regards,
Joe

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I just watched a few Class 66 videos on YouTube and have come up with the following settings for your diesel soundcard. The button numbers refer to the buttons on your TV remote control.

Engine Button 8 - 2 beeps This is the EMD engine
Button 7 - 4 beeps For the engine to go to notch 8 when moving off
Turbo Button 5 - 2 beeps To turn on the turbocharger
Brakes Button 4 - 4 beeps For airbrake release and brake squeal when stopping
Horn Button 1 - 1 beep For two chime horn then press the channel up button while the horn is sounding to get the pitch closer to the Class 66
Button 2 - 7 beeps For the opposite chimes

The engine starting sound cannot be set to the class 66. We will be producing a Premium Diesel in due course and that will include a Class 66 start up and more recorded sounds. Customers who have purchased a diesel soundcard recently with the black PCB will be able to get it upgraded to the premium diesel. MyLocoSound will not charge for the upgrade but retailers may charge for their time and postage.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MylocoSound

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter, I'll try those settings.

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not having much success with improving the sound on this.
It is reluctant to enter setup mode requiring three or more presses to respond correctly.
In respect of Horn Button 1:
"Horn Button 1 - 1 beep For two chime horn then press the channel up button while the horn is sounding to get the pitch closer to the Class 66"
It does not respond to attempts to change the pitch of the horn.

I presume there is no way to reduce the overall volume of sound ?
I think if this were possible it might reduce some of the sound distortion.
The card was bought new in April 2019 (not by me) and I understand it is the earlier version ie not the blue PCB.
Yours ear-rily,
Joe

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The TV remote can be used to reduce the volume.
The remote must be able to 'see' either the sensor on the card, or one remotely mounted on the model.
Note: You may find that the volume control works backwards, on some combinations of remote and MLS software.

PhilP

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your reply Phil.
I've mounted the IR sensor on the rear of the Driver's compartment bulkhead so the remote can see it through the access door when propped open.
In running mode, as opposed to set up, my Sony TV remote volume button will make a marginal difference to the volume but cycles round on to full volume and down again.
In doing so it also makes a "rushing sound" which I guess is the air release, also the horn (on constantly like a buzzer) and will also introduce some quite significant interference noise.
In addition the channel up button will increase the engine speed up to full speed (although the wheels are not turning) and also introduce interference noise and another sound which sounds like a non-British emergency services siren.
The Fosworks Omni Tx-2.0 has the two-tone horns set up on F1 & F2 and F3 turns the sound off & on.
When switching the loco on the engine is running immediately.
Pressing F3 fades out the sound nicely.
Pressing F3 again and the sound goes through an engine start up procedure.
I'm assuming something is not right, but notwithstanding I didn't buy it new, I'm not impress that it seems to have gone defective in a little over two years.
The perils of eBay !
Regards,
Joe

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your reply Phil.
I've mounted the IR sensor on the rear of the Driver's compartment bulkhead so the remote can see it through the access door when propped open.
In running mode, as opposed to set up, my Sony TV remote volume button will make a marginal difference to the volume but cycles round on to full volume and down again.
In doing so it also makes a "rushing sound" which I guess is the air release, also the horn (on constantly like a buzzer) and will also introduce some quite significant interference noise.
In addition the channel up button will increase the engine speed up to full speed (although the wheels are not turning) and also introduce interference noise and another sound which sounds like a non-British emergency services siren.
The Fosworks Omni Tx-2.0 has the two-tone horns set up on F1 & F2 and F3 turns the sound off & on.
When switching the loco on the engine is running immediately.
Pressing F3 fades out the sound nicely.
Pressing F3 again and the sound goes through an engine start up procedure.
I'm assuming something is not right, but notwithstanding I didn't buy it new, I'm not impress that it seems to have gone defective in a little over two years.
The perils of eBay !
Regards,
Joe
Joe,

When I did my earlier reply I hadn't realised that your soundcard is so old. It sounds like you have the green PCB which makes the soundcard 5 to 7 years old.

At that time we were using the Poundland TV remote control. It then turned out that some Poundland remotes had the volume buttons reversed so that you pressed volume up to make it go down! So be aware that your remote may have that issue.

There may be nothing wrong with your soundcard ... it may just have had its settings changed so many times that it is a bit of a mess. The solution is the reset the soundcard back to the factory defaults. You can do this by holding down the 3 button on the remote for at least five seconds and you should hear it reset.

If that does not solve your problems then email me at sales@mylocosound.com with your phone number and I will assist you.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound