Advice on removing waggon brake platform

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
It's too bad there's an ocean and customs agents between us. I'd have happily traded 300mm standard LGB chassis for your 330mm balcony chassis. I would have even been willing to offer some coin of the realm to sweeten the deal! I would like to have the balcony chassis for my rubber rulered RhB gons and box wagons that are missing brakemen's platforms.
Your reply did me wonder what the actual size of these chassis is. The overall length is 30 cm with buffers, sans buffers it is 26 cm. Which is actually a tad too short to be scale correct, but hey, this is LGB and their famous rubber ruler... It should be 27,5 cm ish sans buffers.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Need's an attachment to the bottom runner , though.. :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Added profiles. And after taking the picture, I used some putty to smoothen things.

Now the dilemma: am I going to remove the wheel bearings or not? And apply the manual brake system? Or leave the chassis as it is....
I would suggest leaving the LGB bearing works behind the cosmetic improvements, the fact that you are running on small LGB Curves and Points tends to mean you have little other option if you want satisfactory running. Also LGB couplers will help in that regard. The view from normal level will mean that your cosmetics shine over the original fittings.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. I can tell you I will keep the original LGB bearing works, indeed for the R1 curves in my layout.

The shiny stuff in the picture is only cosmetically. And the only main difference is that the leaf spring is behind the supports, whilst the LGB waggons have their leaf springs in front of the supports. I hope it will still be visible when all is painted black :-D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. I can tell you I will keep the original LGB bearing works, indeed for the R1 curves in my layout.

The shiny stuff in the picture is only cosmetically. And the only main difference is that the leaf spring is behind the supports, whilst the LGB waggons have their leaf springs in front of the supports. I hope it will still be visible when all is painted black :-D
Sorry lost in translation by ’shine’ I meant look much better than the original. Sorry forget with your perfect English that you are not a national of this fair Isle, so perhaps some of our expressions may pass you by.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
No need to apologize! Yes I sometimes do miss an expression but then it is very educative for me to read this forum, not only train wise! I really like ‘your’ (mostly UK members) kind of humor packed into seemingly harmless remarks. I love it!
And thank you for your kind compliment!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, can you take a photograph of the underside of the wagon, to show how much clearance there is for the axle/bogie to pivot please? - Do you get the same amount of rotation, with the addition of your white-metal axle-boxes?

Thank you.
PhilP.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably just a paint job and will you be hacking off that “LGB“ moulding?