Adding sound

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Most of my locos have no sound, a couple have the basic Bachmann noises, but i have recently acquired a 4-4-0, quite old the invoice is dated `03, and it has a Phoenix 2k2 sound system fitted by Hobbybahm. Are there kits available to add sound to my other engines, American steam, if so can anyone recommend any. At the moment i only have a test track but am working towards an end to end which will be analogue, well that`s the plan......................................................

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In an effort to keep things as simple as possible, I have purchased some Bachmann HO gondolas fitted with steam sound. The type that uses wheel axle wipers. I fitted the sound unit into small field railway gondolas and placed two pieces of brass strip on one axle. I've also substituted a larger speaker for the small one that originally was part of the system. The sound is actually quite good. Particularly since I run small outline steam locos like the Stainz.

Going into a bit more detail for those who may want to know a bit more detail, I run battery power using G Scale Graphics "Railboss Plus" and some of their "Enhansed Critter Control" products. LGB steam sound units don't work in sync with these controls. That is to say that as soon as the loco starts to roll, the steam sound is at it's peak, and stays there until the loco comes to a complete stop and then some. The only LGB sound that works with the G Scale products is the sound tender. Also, my 2095 Whizzy cranks with sound works well with them. There are some sound units that will work in sync with G Scale Graphics products. I believe Phoenix, Dallee and My Loco Sound will work properly.

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Thanks for the tips, gives me a starting point .............................

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Ordered a couple of "My Loco Sound" boards, got to start somewhere, will fit one to "Lyn" first, as a practice run and then have a go at my Climax ................

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Dennis,

Thanks for the order. We have emailed you because you forgot to provide a delivery address. Our distributor in Norfolk, Peter Spoerer Model Engineers, will be able to mail your soundcards as soon as we get your address.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MylocoSound

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
I`m not allowed out on my own :happy:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am very happy with the mylocosound cards I have. For my Lyn I removed the weights from the side tanks and put four AAA bateries in each plus another two and the sound card in the cab. This gives me 12 volts to run the sound which you need if you are running analogue. I am now planning to buy a radio control rx to fit over the winter so this loco will be totally battery powered.

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Hi Chris, thanks for info, to start with i`ll be happy to get it talking to me let alone anything else, i guess it`s never say never, if i can actually get a bit of track laid and see, and hear, them running that`ll be the start, then ...................................

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
dennis said:
Hmmm I know the feeling....

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
In anticipation of the arrival of my sound cards i thought i would source some speakers. I have a SanDisk mp3 speaker pod which happened to have 4 speakers, wired in pairs, approx 42mm across each speaker so there you have it, 4 locos taken care of, just need to ascertain the ohms, job done. Electronics is def. not my strong point, according to her indoors i don`t have a strong point !!!
but when i put the multimeter on them i got a zero reading, both as singles and paired, double checked with a friend and his meter came up with the same reading. Here`s a pic, any ideas ?
20140801_065254 (640x480).jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What Ohm rating of speaker is required for the Mylocosound cards? Most DCC sound decoders seem to use either 4 ohm (Massoth/LGB) or 8 ohm (ESU?). I recall taking a little mp3 player speaker dock apart some years ago, with similar ideas to you, but found the speakers were something impractical like 32 ohm so they went in the bin...... :mad:
Nowadays I tend to buy Visaton or similar speakers from Rapid (I do have the advantage that they are a couple of miles down the road from me, but they also do good mailorder) - the same ones that Massoth and others use.

Jon.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have had a complete Brain F*rt when I wrote the above - Massoth/LGB use EIGHT ohm speakers, not 4! ;)

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Thanks, i need 8 ohm, i`ll take a look at them ...........

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound soundcards are optimised for 8 ohm speakers. You can also use a 4 ohm speaker but need to watch out for overheating when it is operated at constant high volumes in a confined space with poor ventilation. Two 4 ohm speakers in series is equivalent to one 8 ohm so that's okay. Do not use two 4 ohm in parallel because that is equivalent to a 2 ohm speaker and will overheat.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Knowing quite a bit about electricity but not electronics I see that the speakers are wired in series. I don't see how that would work. But then again, electronics are not my strong point. That's reserved for the top of my head.

Graham ASH

Fn3 Logging & Mining
4 Oct 2012
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Hi - I use a pretty basic method of adding sound to all of my Bachmann locos. I firstly fit Lenz Gold Maxi decoders to each one of my locos, these are superb bits of kit, arnt flash but they are sturdy units.
I then of course test each loco to ensure that its working okay.-they are about £60 each
Its then a case of phoning up Chris at A & H Models to find out if he has the sound for the loco Im after fitting it to.
Available - I then order a Uhlenbrock sound module from Chris, with the sound I want added and its here the next day. This sound module needs a 8 ohms speaker. Ive used various sized ones, from a 3inch dia to a square 1.5 inch one.
Once the sound module arrives I simply plug the Susi socket that its fitted with into the Lenz susi socket, solder the two black cables from Sound module to the speaker wires and then Blue tac the sound module into place.
Place it on test track and it fires up fine, total cost about £110 - its a steal.
Graham

dennis

Registered
18 Jul 2014
Southampton
Best answers
Appreciate all the tips/comments, some are going straight over my head :happy: do i need a decoder thingy, sorry but all this is new ground for me, basically i want to get some track down and play trains and hopefully hear them. I intend to use a hand held controller, track power i think you call it, all manual, points, coupling/uncoupling by hand (can`t beat a manual coupling :)) Got to keep it as simple as possible, to start with anyway.
I`ll bin them mp3 speakers, not worth the trouble, new ones are less than the cost of a pint anyway. One of the locos i`m doing first has a speaker already, the 2-4-2 Lyn and the Climax hasn`t got a speaker but does have a pcb with a pair of sockets with plugs and wire tails, hopefully someone can help me or point me in the right direction to solve the what wire goes where question.
"got all the gear, but no idea !"

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have used http://www.mrrails.com - simple steam sounds working off a PP3 battery - they have sample sounds for US as well as UK. They work off the current feeding the motor.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
dennis said:
I`ll bin them mp3 speakers, not worth the trouble, new ones are less than the cost of a pint anyway.

Have to agree with you mate. Why go to the hastle and also risk blowing something for just a few quid.
very happy to save money but sometimes you have to ask yourself - is it worth it.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
dennis said:
Neither am I.... Dont worry it will all come together in the end....