Adding sound to a LGB 2018D single loop ceiling train

hobie1961

Registered
23 Dec 2022
Essex Jct., VT
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I picked up my father's LGB train set and decided to add to a shelf near the ceiling in my office, creating a single loop (approx 40'), with only one engine. This has became winter project and fun to do. The engine is the LGB 2018D and in good condition. From 1985. I added the train to the track a couple of days ago and worked. So exciting. It is controlled by a MRC TechII 2400 transformer. Along with the system came a Tri-Tec steam sound system. I think i figured out how to hook it up, but noticed a few wires had fallen off connections to the circuit board and speaker in the tender. I searched and found a picture of wiring setup. Tried to follow and resolder connections, but get no sound out it so giving up on that approach. Guessing board is fried.

Looking for suggestions of how to add the engine sounds to the locomotive. Since near the ceiling, i do not desire to replace a battery every so often (nor recharge). Also want to shut off the volume every now and then. A cellphone approach would be great (or a least an option). I noticed the LGB 65001 Steam sound unit, but not sure if is what i am looking for. Are there better approaches? I am new to the hobby so gathering information presently. I think i am fine with the controller i have (for now), but willing to change if need to for sound controls.

Thanks much for your guidance and inputs. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230325_103142.jpg
    20230325_103142.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230325_103221.jpg
    20230325_103221.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Without knowing your budget perhaps this won't work:

constant voltage on rails

Piko remote system

Mls sound card:

The remotes from G Scale Graphics are good too.

Greg

hobie1961

Registered
23 Dec 2022
Essex Jct., VT
Best answers
Country flag
Without knowing your budget perhaps this won't work:

constant voltage on rails

Piko remote system

Mls sound card:

The remotes from G Scale Graphics are good too.

Greg
Hi Greg, Thanks much for the advice and suggestions. The remote could be a great solution. Will investigate further. Thanks again for your time. Tim

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I picked up my father's LGB train set and decided to add to a shelf near the ceiling in my office, creating a single loop (approx 40'), with only one engine. This has became winter project and fun to do. The engine is the LGB 2018D and in good condition. From 1985. I added the train to the track a couple of days ago and worked. So exciting. It is controlled by a MRC TechII 2400 transformer. Along with the system came a Tri-Tec steam sound system. I think i figured out how to hook it up, but noticed a few wires had fallen off connections to the circuit board and speaker in the tender. I searched and found a picture of wiring setup. Tried to follow and resolder connections, but get no sound out it so giving up on that approach. Guessing board is fried.

Looking for suggestions of how to add the engine sounds to the locomotive. Since near the ceiling, i do not desire to replace a battery every so often (nor recharge). Also want to shut off the volume every now and then. A cellphone approach would be great (or a least an option). I noticed the LGB 65001 Steam sound unit, but not sure if is what i am looking for. Are there better approaches? I am new to the hobby so gathering information presently. I think i am fine with the controller i have (for now), but willing to change if need to for sound controls.

Thanks much for your guidance and inputs. Much appreciated.

You could look at ‘My Loco Sound’, to disable the sound change sounds you can use a TV remote.