Add supplemental MTS E-Stop to layout

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
I have begun the insidious process of creating new Garden Railroad hobbyists. I have been introducing the hobby to my Father-in-Law and my kids, and they have demonstrated a great interest. As they are not the most reliable engineers in the operator pool, could an extra (or multiple) physical E-stop buttons be added to the system? I envision some type of big red button that would allow me to trip the STOP function on the MTSII remote without dashing back to the central station or ripping a throttle from the hands of a child.

I don't suppose just causing a brief short circuit across the rails would be ideal, as I have no idea the wear and tear this would cause.

I haven't seen any equipment like this in my google searches, but I can be quite dense at times.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps you could try something like this
1 Channel 12V 433MHZ Receiver Wireless Relay RF Remote Control DIY Switch Module 6430737214557 | eBay
Pass one track lead through the relay so that it goes open circuit when you press the Tx button.
You'll need to lash up a 12v supply, perhaps using a HOT Practical Step Down Module LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter Output 1.3V-35V 6907389409957 | eBay

Edit, I've just noticed that the first item doesn't appear to have a Tx. I'm sure you could find sets with both Tx and Rx for not a lot more money. You may even be able to get more than one Tx that operates the same Rx

Last edited:

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
Neil,
Would this be to interrupt the connection to the rails?