Adapting cheap figures.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
The figures from Hong Kong turned up and although they were good value for money, there were several duplicated figures. I needed a driver figure so I used the tried and tested 'tea light' plastic forming method. It worked quite well :clap:

Before:

1e3cb0a67f8843e8aec2b2fbb6aefcaf.jpg

After:

9445a4a10b5a4d2da4100037e41dd33f.jpg

I'm probably teaching Granny to suck eggs, but just in case you've never used the process, here's what you do...

Hold the figure about 1" above a tea light/candle flame (not too close or you'll get a sooty deposit and very, very soft bit of plastic :impatient:) and keep turning it so that the heat is evenly distributed. Frequently test the figure for pliability (you'll soon feel the plastic 'give' a bit) and then form the figure to the shape you want.
A certain amount of practice is needed but I found that the plastic used in these figures is very soft and doesn't need a lot of heat. Some polystyrene ones take longer to warm up and can be a real b++++r to do but these cheap HK ones are made from a very low melting point plastic - ideal for this process.

A coat of paint and job done! Blondie now drives my loco :D

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Tom, Thanks for the method and the photos - he looks much better now!

Yours PeterB