Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have searched everywhere to find which button on the controller I need to use to switch on/off a smoke generator, with no luck.
I am using an eMotion XL decoder in an LGB 23851 which also has an LGB European Steam Sound box. All the various sounds are activated by buttons 1 through 6. Button 8 is sound on/off and 9 is for the lights. That leaves 7. Is that the one?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly..
But it could not be configured for smoke, or the smoke unit may not be connected, or the smoke unit might have burnt out.

It may also be switched by the original switch.

PhilP

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I believe most LGB steam locos of this era have the smoke unit physically connected to the Aux1 (or maybe Aux2) decoder output on the decoder interface board. Check which function button turns on decoder Aux1.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have searched everywhere to find which button on the controller I need to use to switch on/off a smoke generator, with no luck.
I am using an eMotion XL decoder in an LGB 23851 which also has an LGB European Steam Sound box. All the various sounds are activated by buttons 1 through 6. Button 8 is sound on/off and 9 is for the lights. That leaves 7. Is that the one?
Mike - The first place to start on understanding the features and operation of an LGB locomotive is to consult its LGB User Guide. According to it, your LGB 23851 locomotive has a factory-installed On-board DCC Decoder without sound. It suggests installing a Massoth S Sound Decoder (sound only, no motor control) to provide sound. But someone could have added some other sound decoder, or changed out the entired DCC system to something else if you're not the original owner. The User Guide also lists the On-board DCC decoder's Register of CVs, their functions, the range of values, and the factory-default settings. The Guide states:

"This model has a four-way power control switch mounted inside the cab (Fig. 1, 2): Position 0: All power off Position 1: Power to lights and smoke generator Position 2: Power to motors, lights and smoke generator Position 3: same as Position 2 (factory pre-set) Attention: Do not connect this model to other loco models with different starting characteristics. This can damage the internal gearing. Multi-Train System The model is equipped with a factory-installed onboard decoder for the LGB Multi-Train System. It can be used without modifications on analog or digital layouts. For operation with the Multi-Train System, the model is programmed to loco address 03. For information on programming the loco address, see the instructions for various MTS components."

"When operating with the Multi-Train System, you can control the loco’s functions remotely. Press the lighting button (“9” with remotes) to turn the loco lights on or off. Press the function buttons to control the following functions: 5: Flickering firebox off/on 7: Smoke generator off/on With a Loco Remote or Universal Remote, press the numbered loco function buttons. For example, to turn off the flickering firebox, press button “5” on the Loco Remote or Universal Remote. curves or on grades."

So if your smoker is not working using F7, as already mentioned by another responder, your 5v. smoker could be defective. Pull it out of the smoke stack, there should be sufficient slack in the wires, and you'll have to cut off the smoker to access the wires to test the voltage output with a multimeter. If you're getting 5 - 6 volts, then the smoker is defective and then solder on a new replacement smoker (use heat shrink around your solder joints, or liquid electrical tape). Of course, if you're not getting any voltage, the decoder could be faulty, or someone changed the F Key setting, etc. If you can't figure it out by placing your locomotive on a DCC programming track or using a PC Programming Module, you'll have to disassemble the locomotive to sort all that out.

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys.
I fitted the new Massouth chip. I had two LGB chips previously, one died, so saved the other and put in the new Massouth single chip.
The LGB sound unit is in the carriage immediately behind the engine, sounds great there. It and all the carriage lights run from the power output on the engine.
I have not tested the smoke unit yet, just wanted to know which button for on/off.
If LGB333 is right, it will be what I suspected.
It is raining here in SoCal, yes raining heavily!
So will try out button 7 when things dry out a bit.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys.
I fitted the new Massouth chip. I had two LGB chips previously, one died, so saved the other and put in the new Massouth single chip.
The LGB sound unit is in the carriage immediately behind the engine, sounds great there. It and all the carriage lights run from the power output on the engine.
I have not tested the smoke unit yet, just wanted to know which button for on/off.
If LGB333 is right, it will be what I suspected.
It is raining here in SoCal, yes raining heavily!
So will try out button 7 when things dry out a bit.

It is usually button 1 or button 7 Mike

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Great, 1 rings the bell, so must be 7.