Accucraft W&L Brake van modifications.Originally posted on GSM

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
[h4]Posted by: fnrobinson Sep 8 2008, 09:49 AM[/h4] I couldn?t resist buying an Accucraft W&L four wheeled brake van at Christmas 2006. A beautifully detailed and yet robust model. To improve running on my indifferently laid LGB track, especially the radius 3 pointwork with its less than perfect frogs and check rails, I swapped the wheels for LGB ones with their larger flanges. A simple task as Accucraft expects customers to swap between 45mm and 32mm gauge and have designed the van accordingly. Sometimes extra washers help when using LGB wheels.
The whole thing is glued together and I didn?t fancy either dismantling it or making a large hole it the base to fit internal lighting. I settled for reducing the width of the lamp irons to fit GRS? led lamps with integral batteries and adding LGB vacuum pipes.

ee09679440334ecc99d8ea73de8d3202.jpg

I kept the Accucraft chopper coupling at the veranda end as it looks more prototypical but fitted an LGB hook and loop coupling to the other end. This also makes it a useful converter wagon when visiting other lines with Accucraft stock.
To fit the LGB coupling I first unscrewed the nut on the bottom of the Accucraft hook that forms the pivot for the chopper. I then removed the hook, chopper and spring taking care not to loose the spring from behind the chopper. I then chose to replace the hook and nut.

ab4ed744f2d340a182f1e4dbcf509cd6.jpg

Next I filed a slot in the buffer beam underneath the Accucraft coupler socket to take the LGB coupling. I used trial and error to remove enough plastic to get the correct coupling height.

e0851a0bb24f4659a4e11815d57a3b58.jpg

I then built a platform out of Plastruct square tube and Plasticard sheet to support the LGB coupling behind the buffer beam. The LGB coupling then screws into this in the usual LGB manner.

78304dedb7e645f4a9f983238685a63a.jpg

Tony F73E

Registered
19 Jun 2010
Best answers
Neil,

Thanks for the tips on fitting LGB couplings to the W & L brake van. I modified my brake van earlier this year by removing the roof and replacing it with one from the LGB Lehmann box van to give a different, flatter, roof profile. Although it had to be reduced in width it was exactly the right length. I had to file some material off of the ends to suit the new roof but after a bit of trial and error, it turned out O.K. The end result looks vaguely similar to a LSWR road van. When (if) I work out the technology, I'll post some pictures.

Tony.