Accucraft Spares?

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Hello all, I'm interested in what you think about Accucraft spares availability.
I have an Edrig which has been steamed 164 times in it's first year only needing some new 'O' rings and a gas filler valve. These were sent very quickly by Accucraft UK.
Now it's out of warranty, It has always been in the back of my mind what if i need something like new valve gear and piston assembly or something else they do not stock. Do they even wear out if properly cared for?.
I have built a loco out of Roundhouse bit n pieces and have wondered how popular Accucraft parts would be for home projects.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Rosco said:
Hello all, I'm interested in what you think about Accucraft spares availability.
I have an Edrig which has been steamed 164 times in it's first year only needing some new 'O' rings and a gas filler valve. These were sent very quickly by Accucraft UK.
Now it's out of warranty, It has always been in the back of my mind what if i need something like new valve gear and piston assembly or something else they do not stock. Do they even wear out if properly cared for?.
I have built a loco out of Roundhouse bit n pieces and have wondered how popular Accucraft parts would be for home projects.

Strangely enough this came up on another forum my answer was...

Doesn't happen at the moment. Accucraft supply replacement parts only. I
have had discussion on this and it may well happen in the future. The
problem is, that an infrastructure has to be in place to administer such a
service. This costs quite a lot of money ? hence the reason that official
car parts are so expensive. The service would have to stand on its own and
would be likely to be undertaken by someone associated with Accucraft UK,
but effectively undertaken as a separate business. Questions are, would such
a service be cost effective at a price that most people would pay? Would
there be enough people requiring additional parts rather than replacement of
defective? In the future I would say yes ? particularly as the number of
Accucraft locos reaches critical mass.

As Dannysfod said, proper care will mean that they will last along time. The big end bearings are of dissimilar metals (phosphor bronze/stainless steel, and given that Roundhouse are not and last fairly well, regular degreasing and re-oiling should see very many running hours. Replacement parts are available from Accucraft or their agents whether in warranty or not. I hope that parts will be available for sale 'off-the-shelf at some point in the future.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Not sure about Accucraft UK but spares are readily available for Accucraft US Loco's and very helpful they are too and as they are only about 40 miles from me very handy as well..................
The US site has a spares dept. on line (which is down right now) but they don't supply parts for british types as far as I'm aware I know they won't sell me an engine.........................................

andysleigh

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
It may be worth sending an email to Ian.
I Managed to get new rods and eccentrics off him, but only because they were taken off a faulty caradoc

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
andysleigh said:
It may be worth sending an email to Ian.
I Managed to get new rods and eccentrics off him, but only because they were taken off a faulty caradoc

I did get in touch with Ian a while back about spares and he said he does not stock any valve gear/pistons. you must have been lucky Andy.
Just found out my neighbor has a spare Edrig chassis in his loft for his coal fired loco. I think i'll keep feeding his cat when he goes on holiday and keep in his good books!