14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This may be of some help.
While you are working on the cylinders consider changing the valve timing from "Outside Admission" to "Inside Admission" (It is mentioned in the link) as it evidently improves forward running.
I still have to adjust mine just have to get around to it.

Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
While you are working on the cylinders consider changing the valve timing from "Outside Admission" to "Inside Admission" (It is mentioned in the link) as it evidently improves forward running.
That's an interesting article, especially as it shows a sectioned cylinder assembly. It looks like the pistons are screwed onto the piston rods, with a nitrile O-ring as the cylinder seal. I can't see a gland seal, i.e. an O-ring in the rear cover plate. I can only assume that the piston rod is a close fit in the cover with no scope for replacing a worn seal. I think you'll need to take yours apart to see if this is the case. If it is, you may need to see if Accucraft supply replacement end caps, or go back to your original question, to repair this loco, or buy a new one...

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
That looks really useful, thank you for posting.
Is there anywhere that will show me the inside of the cylinder especially. the seal. I am almost blind and have difficulty in reading instructions but I'm sure I could fit new seals so long as I can obtain the correct replacements.
Please note the locomotive has the smaller early cylinders.
Thanks again,
Sarah Winfield

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I want nothing more than to reduce the amount of oily water leaking from the hole at the back of the cylinder. This presumably is leaking past the piston seal.
I have new seals supplied by Accucraft.
Are the screws securing the cylinder backplate likely to be stuck? (I always like to know what I might find.)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I want nothing more than to reduce the amount of oily water leaking from the hole at the back of the cylinder. This presumably is leaking past the piston seal.
I have new seals supplied by Accucraft.
Are the screws securing the cylinder backplate likely to be stuck? (I always like to know what I might find.)
They may have a coat of paint on them, but when I did a similar job on an Accucraft Caledonia the equivalent bolts came out easily.

A nut driver is a cross between a socket set and a screwdriver: a long-reach box spanner:
1696505522849.png

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you.

Things have moved on a bit. I have partly dismantled one coupling rod but managed, despite having a towel to stop the circlip from pinging off it did exactly that. It's in my kitchen somewhere and hopefully, it will jump out and say "here I am". Meantime the O rings I have for the piston are the wrong ones. I was sent O rings for a Ruby but they are red and too large,. I imagine they are for the larger pistons whereas my locomotive has the original smaller pistons.

So although I have made a start to fit new O rings I am thwarted by the Sarah Winfield gremlins.

I was thinking I could always fit the larger pistons but then where does it stop? (It's a bit like "when the Gas Man came to call". Some of you will understand what I am talking about.)

Onwards and upwards.

Sarah

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I have found the circlip so one down 2 to go.

The O rings I have are for the later larger cylinders. I have asked Accucraft if they can supply O rings for my Small cylinder Ruby.

I await a reply.

Sarah Winfield

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
That looks really useful, thank you for posting.
Is there anywhere that will show me the inside of the cylinder especially. the seal. I am almost blind and have difficulty in reading instructions but I'm sure I could fit new seals so long as I can obtain the correct replacements.
Please note the locomotive has the smaller early cylinders.
Thanks again,
Sarah Winfield
This may be of some help

For the stuck bolts try putting an electric soldering iron onto them to heat them up then try to crack them using firm pressure.

This list of Accucraft parts from 2002 shows a piston replacement kit

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you again.

I have decided to reassemble my Ruby with the existing O rings. I'll put up with the leaks. If Accucraft comes up with new O rings I'll fit them later

At least now I know that removing the piston wasn't difficult.

Sarah Winfield

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag