Accucraft Modified Couplings.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I have something exceeding 40 pieces of rolling stock, the vast majority are Accucraft, and what wasn't fitted with their couplings certainly is now, so contemplating changing from Accu couplings to anything else would be somewhat daunting, and probably quite expensive. To that end when I recently bought a rake of Bachmann J&S coaches I tried to get some more Accu couplings. No stock. As luck would now have it I have managed to get a set (I need 6), and when they were delivered I find they have been modified. The old one is on the left.

DSCN6770 (600 x 450).jpg

I have previously considered adding an extension to the bottom of the hooks for auto uncoupling purposes, but as usual with my projects they need lots of round tuits.

I have had little problem with the original design apart from perhaps there being a slight discrepancy in hook lengths and on a very odd occasion I have seen an 'uncouple' when the hook bosses have been pushed by the other hook and rotated upwards when the stock is pushing, though it rarely actually parted company as the hook would drop down as soon as the strain was taken up again. My guess, is that this mod will stop that altogether. I say 'guess' as I have yet to actually try them. It may also allow auto-uncoupling by some raised device in the track if that is your wish. Some may mourn the loss of the hook.

I like, I think!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I notice the chain hook is missing. This will disappoint those who want to mix centre buffer chain link stock in to a consist. Max

My45G

Registered
9 Nov 2016
Henley
Best answers
Country flag
I prefer them as it makes uncoupling by hand much easier

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I've always uncoupled with blade easily enough, I don't think that need change.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having seen the carnage with 32mm loose-coupled stock at the weekend..
it has 'sort-of' put me off 32mm finer-scale, and 'chain' coupling..

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Having now tried the new style couplings I can confirm that they do uncouple much more easily and I'm pretty sure some sort of auto uncoupler could be made to suit. Yet another round tuit needed! :eek:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Having seen the carnage with 32mm loose-coupled stock at the weekend..
it has 'sort-of' put me off 32mm finer-scale, and 'chain' coupling..
What i love about my g scale is that it hardly ever derails and the couplings work - even when being pushed.
If it does derail, it is usually due to some object on the track. I am a 'runner', and that's exactly what my trains do - run.

Reactions: 2 users