Accucraft live steam Mogul

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
e8c2cb45866f409b95e20c1f941095f3.jpg
These Moguls are nice little runners with moderate haulage power.
They are not particularly expensive and are basic models working on a one fill of water/gas tank basis. This should give you a reasonable 15 min run.
I have had a water level sensor LED fitted on mine which will run on green until the water level drops. At this point it turns to red as you would expect.
The sensor 'doubles up' with a goodall valve allowing a water top up from the bottle without having to wait for the boiler to cool down.
On this basis you can run as long as you like.
This cooler weather I use the gas mix giving a better flow to the burner.

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I always admire these at PPS, where Alan has a couple sitting on his shelves ....at under a grand they seem very good value and almost worth building a 45mm gauge track for!!
I reckon the burner could be made quieter by wrapping the poker in fine stainless mesh (from a fine sieve).
Cheers
Chris

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Bird said:
I reckon the burner could be made quieter by wrapping the poker in fine stainless mesh (from a fine sieve).
It can. I did. I also added a roll of mesh in the end of the flue to try and moderate the scorching of the smokebox. I got a chuff pipe for it as well, but like a prat snapped it off, so currently its running without an exhaust pipe, which does at least minimise the amount of condensate flying out of the chimney. I'd like to fit a set of DJB draincocks as its a fairly wet starter.
80e39e6a0ee34f44b1d7b18af85c76b3.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Nice looking steamer Trevor i see you got the pics to come up large :clap:

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Did the mesh thing, ruined it. Used up a whole tank of gas without getting up steam. Sitting here at the moment waiting for me to undo the mod.

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Nice looking steamer Trevor i see you got the pics to come up large :clap:

Richie, Yep. Thanks for info!
Nice picture from Dtsteam!!

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
Did the mesh thing, ruined it. Used up a whole tank of gas without getting up steam. Sitting here at the moment waiting for me to undo the mod.

I did the first time around - killed the flame stone dead. In the end I settled for a mesh tube inside the burner, which isn't perfect but it cuts the 'organ pipe' sound down to a dull roar.

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I am puzzled about the problem with the mesh - there are loads of locos running with it wrapped round. I guess it depends on the mesh size. I have very fine nichrome mesh on four of mine - both Accucraft and pre-FG Roundhouse and it is very good. I have had the "no steam" syndrome too - but that has always come down to a blocked jet after the disturbance.
David - I am hoping the broken chuff pipe is not one of ours (Summerlands Chuffer). If it is, you clearly have a very big hammer ;-) but I will happily replace it for you. The Chuffer directs all of the condensate downwards so wet starts become a non-issue.
Cheers
Chris