Accucraft EXCELSIOR

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

I Wonder if any of you has one of these? If so how hard is it to fit new cylinders ans RC?

thanks.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Hi All,

I Wonder if any of you has one of these? If so how hard is it to fit new cylinders ans RC?

thanks.

Why would you want to fit new cylinders?

andysleigh

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
for a larger bore

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I run my Excelsior with the stock cylinders and R/C. It is controlable with R/C which takes the sensitivity out of the engine since you can drive the engine compensating for track conditions.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
cheers for the info guys, might well work well with the stock cylinders then. Was just wondering if anyone had fitted the milton ones. Must say I know someone who has one for sale, and do like the looks of them. Anyone know what they go for S/H?

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
I've been keeping an eye on that, but now at £550- way to much. I may wait till Accucraft bring out the new version, but if I get a S/H joan before then may not.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
hornbeam said:
I've been keeping an eye on that, but now at £550- way to much. I may wait till Accucraft bring out the new version, but if I get a S/H joan before then may not.

I would be tempted to wait for the new version. It should be around the same price but with improvements (including the cylinders).

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I'm waiting for the new one coming out meself (Leader).It'll have the new cylinders and further improvements to the old one,also I understand,this one will not be fitted with a rear bunker.

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I would wait for a new one also, Edrig or Caradoc chassis would make it a winner.
Been thinking about using my new 2.4g system on it and adding expotential to the throttle curve to take even more sensitivity out of it. Should work. Tame a wild beast, it works with model airplanes.

Steve

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Think I will. Shame anout the rear bunker as liked these on the models. I've always liked this class of the engine, but at the time went for a Roundhouse Bertie- glad I did. Its been fitted with a bunker and really finishes it off.

steveciambrone said:
I would wait for a new one also, Edrig or Caradoc chassis would make it a winner.
Been thinking about using my new 2.4g system on it and adding expotential to the throttle curve to take even more sensitivity out of it. Should work. Tame a wild beast, it works with model airplanes.

Steve

Interesting about the exponential travel Steve. I have played with it on the Lawley and expected it to help with fine control at lower openings but it didn't seem to make much difference and I can't work out why. Maybe the loco was still tight - I haven't tried it for a while and now you have reminded me, I will have another go.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
by the way, when is the new model due?

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I ran my Accucraft Edrig with manual control for six months before fitting R/C to it. I have not noticed any control issues with it. I use a Spektrum 2.4 Ghz system and find it works just fine on the little engine. I set travel limits on both throttle and forward/reverse servos and haven't had a single problem. I think " Spitfire " ( my Edrig) has close to 50 hours of running now and it just goes and goes. 2.4 Ghz is the way to go. You only need 1 transmitter to control many different engines. I have set up mine with the control limits for each engine , and set this before running . Works great . I have 6 engines fitted with R/C and each has its own control sequence . Anyone thinking about R/C should look at this system .

Charles M

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim said:
steveciambrone said:

Steve

Interesting about the exponential travel Steve. I have played with it on the Lawley and expected it to help with fine control at lower openings but it didn't seem to make much difference and I can't work out why. Maybe the loco was still tight - I haven't tried it for a while and now you have reminded me, I will have another go.

On the Futaba 6Ex transmitter you can't set the throttle to exponential! Only the 3 other movements on the sticks!
Grrrrr....

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
The six channel computer radios seem to have minimal programing capability to make them mid priced. 7-8 channel units have the extra programming to do just about everything including getting the user very confused. If you buy a unit it pays to go for a 7-8 channel even though in model trains you will not need all those channels. I use mine for boats and planes also so it is better for me to buy the unit with more programing capability. My 2.4g unit from Spektrum has been rock solid for control, eventually will convert all my items to 2.4g in time.

Steve

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Sea Lion said:
Approx November 2010 ;)

Happy steamings,

John

I well be in touch John!

also what is exponential control folks?

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Sea Lion said:
Approx November 2010 ;)

Happy steamings,

John

I well be in touch John!

also what is exponential control folks?

Exponential is a change to how the servo moves in regard to control stick movement. Normally servo movement is linear to stick movement. With exponential it can be set up in two ways negative or positive. One way it can make the servo movement move less at the center of stick movement or move more depending on how the settings are applied. For the Excelsior it currently take little stick movement to make the throttle valve open and to change speed. It is too sensitive and I would like to move the stick more and have the regulator valve move less. To do this I will change the throttle channel programing to make the stick move more than the resulting servo movement. This could be partially acomplished by changing the geometry of the mechanical linkage from the servo but the change would also change the amount the regulator valve would open. With Exponential the total throw or movement of the servo is not effected. So the center of the throttle will move less in regard to stick movement but at the end of travel it will move more and still otain full throw. I can get a bit confusing. THe whole Idea is to make the regulator less sensitive and provide finer control of locomotive speed. So I will be using the radio control to make up for a locomotive that is hard to control.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Steve,

Many thanks and even makes sense to me! Will be interested to know how you get on.

Also what R/C set do accucraft use?