Accucraft burner problem

cheshire

Registered
21 Feb 2010
Best answers
I remember from a previous incarnation of this forum a thread about Accucraft burners and the reason why the flame is all the way into the smokebox. The story so far is that my Mortimer was running fine till one day it just stopped with no gas coming into the burner. I removed the pipe that connects the gas tank and the burner, took the jet off and there was a large ball of PTFE tape in the jet tube. That is now removed and the whole thing put back together exactly as before. The only problem is that the flame now sits right at the front of the boiler / in the firebox. When you light it there is no pop and the flame doesn't seem to want to go back up the boiler / burner tube like it used to. If you increase the gas flow the flame shoots out the front, as high as the top of the funnel (that gets your attention!!! The hairs on my hand will grow back one day soon!!) This was covered in the other forum in some detail, but I can't remember what the cause was or what the solution was. If someone can remember I would be very grateful, as I am sure it was something relatively simple to sort. Many thanks.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Just in case Matt (brianthesnail96) misses this topic I suggest you send him a P.M. He has recently done some research on this matter.

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I hope he will put his conclusions on the site as there are others who would be interested!

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Hello!

The Accucraft burners are a bit prone to behaving like that anyway- that's what I was looking into. However as yours was working OK before you took it apart, it's obviously something other than the "normal" problems that is causing the issue in this case. Couple of suggestions to try though:

When you disassembled the jet assembly, did you reseal the thread on the jet when replacing it into the jet holder? It sounds to me like it's getting air in somewhere and that's the most likely cause. If you haven't done so, try a bit of PTFE (Accucraft do tend to be a bit overenthusiastic with it incidentally, I had the same problem) around the thread on the jet, or better some proper thread sealant stuff. Only needs a little bit.

The other thing to check is that the jet holder is aligned properly with the burner- it's just held in position by the gas supply pipe and on taking it apart it might well have moved. It's important that it's dead straight in the burner, i.e. the jet is pointing exactly down the flue tube. How tight the jet holder is against the back of the burner is also important- start with it pushed up dead tight, light up and see how it goes. Gradually move it back and see how you get on- the ideal position seems to vary a bit from engine to engine (and I've still not managed to get mine quite right!). It seems very "fussy" on both counts- it doesn't have to be far off to cause problems.

Let us know how you get on.

pjti

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
It could just be a simple thing like too much gas. Unscrew the gas valve (regulator) and put either vaseline or silicone grease on the threads and the O ring. While you're at it blow some gas or air through the gas tank, there may be some crap on the valve seat.

You will find that you have much finer control on the gas flow after greasing the threads and it may be enough to cure your problem.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Unscrew the gas valve (regulator) and put either vaseline or silicone grease on the threads and the O ring.
That sounds like a good idea to me, mine tends to be VERY touchy on low settings, making it difficult to stop the safety valve lifting.

wpandyr

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Southampton
Best answers
The little rolled up "gas filter" that you removed from the jet is to help prevent blocked jets. Your initial symptoms indicate a blocked jet. Fire in the smoke box is normally due to the gas being turned up too high. I suggest you clean the jet, lubricate the gas valve and ensure you re seat the jet assembly as mentioned above and try again. Only go easy on the gas valve.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
If it was a case of "too much gas" then I suspect it would have been a problem previously, unless there was a partial blockage meaning the gas was turned up higher to compensate. This is pretty much what my engine was doing when I had dissasembled the jet for cleaning and forgotten to reseal it so I'd definitely start there.

It's certainly good advice to lubricate the thread/ o- ring on the gas regulator however. They are a bit all or nothing! The thread is too coarse for fine control really.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Valve spindle greased (silicon) as advised. Now I will have to do some testing.

Oh dear, what a nuisance , not more testing! :happy::happy:

Not tonight but tomorrow.

cheshire

Registered
21 Feb 2010
Best answers
Many thanks for all the help. It was a slightly loose joint between the gas jet and its holder. Once tightened its all working fine.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Good stuff! Thought that was probably all it was.

pjti

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
Good stuff! Thought that was probably all it was.

Well done Matt - one up to you. ;)