Accucraft AMS 1:20.3 Tank Car - Hand rail stanchions.

MalTiempo280

Registered
11 Apr 2014
Best answers
Evening All,

I've recently purchased an AMS tank car second hand which has a few broken plastic handrail stanchions. I've tried gluing them, but this is only a temporary fix, and with handling will of course be liable to breakage again. Does anyone know of any manufacturer who makes brass or metal replacements for them?

I've e-mailed Accucraft UK to see if they can get any spares, but I'm thinking metal replacements would be more suitable in the long run.

Cheers,

Stephen

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Try a repair with some KS Tube, a short section that is a tight fit say 2-3 cm over the break and painted will be pretty much unnoticeable.
JonD

MalTiempo280

Registered
11 Apr 2014
Best answers
Thanks for the reply Jon, its not actually the handrail which is broken, but the stanchions which hold the handrail to the tank barrel, good tip for future reference though!

Cheers,

Stephen

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
A photo would help understanding what has broken. From your description I think you mean a bracket rather than a stanchion. There are several US companies which sell brass or white metal fittings for 1:20.3 scale freight cars.

MalTiempo280

Registered
11 Apr 2014
Best answers
Evening All,

Attached is a photo which should give clarity as to the parts that I require replacements for. Obviously not broken in the photo.....

If anyone can point me in the direction of a specific manufacturer to get replacements it would be appreciated. No joy from Accucraft yet.

Cheers,

Stephen

stanchion.jpg

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
They look very similar to the Trackside Details coupler lift bar brackets:

http://www.tracksidedetails.com/parts1-50/page3.html

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
I replaced all mine with brass handrail knobs from 'Roundhouse' ......
hk.jpg

...... then I plugged the spare holes with the tip of a cocktail stick and a dab of acylic paint.