A wider range of W&L passenger stock required ?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering with Accucraft now making/having made 4 of the W&L fleet - Earl/Countess, Joan and Hunslet #14 (how long till the troublesome Romanian Resita is featured ?) if there is any millage in someone doing correct chopper coupled 16mm/1:19 stock for them to haul outside of the Pickerings. I've even seen a one off Monarch 16 mm live steamer that may need something appropriate soon.

I was thinking of those two prolific "woodcutters" IP and Yatton for the Zillertal and Sierra Leone and perhaps Swift16 for the Hungarian jobs. There must be a reasonable market out there now given Accucraft's past and future proposed activity on the loco front to make a business case to go for it (provided Accucraft don't pitch in unexpectedly). The LGB Zillertalbahn (I was tempted) items just look a little small alongside the Accucraft locos.

I've even given thought to commissioning some laser-cut stuff from one of the above if they could fit it in to their schedules and one could come up with an equitable deal on the reproduction rights. Any thoughts or interest ? Max.

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I would love to see some of the Zillertal and SKGLB stock produced to run in 16mm.

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
I am not an expert on the W&L but are the Stuart coaches from GRS any use?

http://www.grsuk.com/Stuart_Coaches-C086000

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Robert, no. None are of the type mentioned above and despite appearances they are poorly detailed - they are printed images on flat metal base units. Very robust toys but not a "scale model". In addition they are fitted with very non-prototypical hook and loop couplers and would require some work to fit choppers to. Even if they were to produce examples of the ones I mentioned I would not, and have not, bought from this range for the reasons mentioned. Max.

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
No worries :)

Had not seen them in the flesh....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice idea Max, but why nit go back to original W&L days. Only 3 Coaches and 2 Engines to worry about then. Plus a few Wagons of course, most of which I think Accucraft and others have covered one way or another.
JonD

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
go back to original W&L days. Only 3 Coaches and 2 Engines to worry about then. Plus a few Wagons of course JonD
Let's see now, cancel my order for the Hunslet and buy a 2nd hand Earl to go with the Countess, 3 Pickerings and those wagons. But where am I going to get an authentic "narrows" buildings set then, not to mention the main line station at the terminus ? Not as simple as it sounds. Max

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
maxi-model said:
Let's see now, cancel my order for the Hunslet and buy a 2nd hand Earl to go with the Countess, 3 Pickerings and those wagons. But where am I going to get an authentic "narrows" buildings set then, not to mention the main line station at the terminus ? Not as simple as it sounds. Max

Well Max sounds like like you have the plan with a bit of Scratch Building!
JonD

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a LOOOOOONG time a'coming, but now Jonathon of The Lineside Hut has released pics of his gorgeous new Zillertal passenger coach - the long version - on the 16mm Association FB pages, and accompanying wheels and chassis sets. It even has the notorious slatted seats - bad news for anybody wearing shorts...

They are at the Llanfair show - get three to make up the set of long-bodied versions.....

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Glory hallelujah. I'll be putting in for a rake as and when funds allow. Now for the Sierra Leone set.........too soon ? Could you provide a link to the announcement Tac, I can't find any reference on the 16 mm NGM FB pages or the Lineside Hut site. Not able to attend Llanfair :cry: Max

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It was Mel who had a re-creation of the narrows on his garden railway, but you're right, the W&L has probably been the inspiration of Rule 8, with some other heritage lines following, but none of them quite keeping up :p:p

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Glory hallelujah. I'll be putting in for a rake as and when funds allow. Now for the Sierra Leone set.........too soon ? Could you provide a link to the announcement Tac, I can't find any reference on the 16 mm NGM FB pages or the Lineside Hut site. Not able to attend Llanfair :cry: Max

The coaches are £110 each.

The wheels set for a rigid undercarriage is £13.50 in either gauge - I have no idea about the two-truck arrangement costs, as my fourteen-foot radius curves don't mind a car that long.

Decals from Tom Eivers of Endon Valley Decals and sundry other details - Brandbright high/straight brake stands and couplings will add another add another £20-ish.

A rake is not necessary unless you want to run the kind of train we were in today - three Zillertal coaches and, two SKL. Sadly there is no 1/19th U Class that I know of.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'kay. Now looking for a pair of LGB spoked wheels in the sorta-swivelling mount they put in their wagons - know what I mean?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Those are they. TVM

Ordered them from a well-known dealer in Kent.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

The coaches are £110 each.

The wheels set for a rigid undercarriage is £13.50 in either gauge - I have no idea about the two-truck arrangement costs, as my fourteen-foot radius curves don't mind a car that long.

Decals from Tom Eivers of Endon Valley Decals and sundry other details - Brandbright high/straight brake stands and couplings will add another add another £20-ish.

A rake is not necessary unless you want to run the kind of train we were in today - three Zillertal coaches and, two SKL. Sadly there is no 1/19th U Class that I know of.
Not sure what the scale of the Regner Live Steam U was but it was certainly pretty big.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Regner model was IIm - 1/22.5 scale. The caption says it is 16mm - it is decidedly NOT.

Compare it with the 16mm scale passenger coach immediately behind it in the consist.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have the green "Eurovapor" version of the U class from LGB, doesn't look to bad when set cab to cab with my old Pearse Earl. But then I have not seen the real engines side by side to get a comparison to judge them together. My friend ran a pair of LGB "Zell am See" green coaches with the Earl when he owned it and they look ok in the garden. Are they to the correct scale, no, but neither is 45mm track. Alteast by using whats available from LGB, an affordable non Pickering passenger car stable can be built up.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Are they to the correct scale, no, but neither is 45mm track

Weell.......If we are talking about the the Pearce Earle/Countess @16 mm scale then a 45 mm track gauge is about right. They run on 2'6" gauge in real life. Which is how the W&LR can run a 1:1 "Zillertal" loco and its stock pretty much off the shelf, so to speak, on their line.

Now, if you are talking about running the 16 mm scale Accucraft L&B Lyn, or any other such scaled 1'11.5" real life gauged loco, on 45 mm, or a possibly 1:22.5 scaled Regner Zillertalbahn loco..........let's not get into that old argument. :):):D Max