G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a very long run, over 6 metres (20Ft) where the upper level track overhangs the lower level passing siding track.
I tried to grow tall plants to fill in the space between the levels with no success.
Next I tried to use some plastic foliage tiles to fill the back area in, but they did not stand up to the harsh Australian sunlight over the hot weather season and fell to bits.
It also did not realistic.
I have come up with a cunning plan to put a tunnel over the area but as it over 6 metres long the problem of access raised its ugly head.
The solution I have come up with is to cut out the sides a bit like a cutaway drawing so the inside of the tunnel is visible. I saw something similar in a James Bond movie years ago.
The plan entails my detailing the inside of the tunnel wall.
The level above has the start of a backdrop that will be painted with hills/mountains that hides an ugly fence, the tunnel will be an extension into the foreground of the hills.

I am open to any other suggestions on how to "landscape/scenic" this area to make it appear more realistic. Note plants will not grow in the area as it is behind a hedge that shades it and the soil below is quite poor.

Below are pictures of the area and a rough sketch of what I have in mind.

P1070115.JPG

Area of tunnel
P1070114.JPG

Sketch of tunnel not to scale
imageedit_8_5125958165.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have a very long run, over 6 metres (20Ft) where the upper level track overhangs the lower level passing siding track.
I tried to grow tall plants to fill in the space between the levels with no success.
Next I tried to use some plastic foliage tiles to fill the back area in, but they did not stand up to the harsh Australian sunlight over the hot weather season and fell to bits.
I have come up with a cunning plan to put a tunnel over the area but as it over 6 metres long the problem of access raised its ugly head.
The solution I have come up with is to cut out the sides a bit like a cutaway drawing so the inside of the tunnel is visible. I saw something similar in a James Bond movie years ago.
The level above has the start of a backdrop that will be painted with hills/mountains that hides an ugly fence, the tunnel will be an extension into the foreground of the hills.

I am open to any other suggestions on how to "landscape/scenic" this area to make it appear more realistic. Note plants will not grow in the area as it is behind a hedge that shades it and the soil below is quite poor.

View attachment 306784

Area of tunnel
View attachment 306783

View attachment 306786
Worth a try

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
In Alpine regions they often have "half tunnels" where one side is open to the daylight, to protect the line from avalanches in the winter. That would be easier to construct.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 306784

Area of tunnel
View attachment 306783

View attachment 306786
As DAVE says, what you are proposing is an Avalanche Shelter, quite common in mountainous regions. We have a few in the U.K and I would be surprised if there were not the odd one or two in your neck of the woods or at least Oz. Just add a mountain or two to your blue backdrop and you are done.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of:
avalanche-protection-over-track.jpg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The half tunnel/avalanche shelter is something like what I had in mind.

Evidently they do exist in Aust so might be a way to go, more research/pondering required.

1669003974092.png

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to do something like that but the lines are 900mm and 1.2M off the ground and in part shade so plants do not work well

Likewise, my line is in semi shade. It's something that only you can address as your local climate and plant species suitability and availability will dictate a solution. I like the "snow shead" solution, very Donner Pass.

Quite by chance I found that that the overhanging conifer's shade created the means to stop that shrub/bush encroaching on the track bed. That shrub is a climber. I have seen one covering a 10 metre plus 4 ft high wall. What you see in my picture has "draped" itself over a 12" high assemblage og concrete rubble.

A wider view of the same site.
20170730_201029.jpg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Think these might be something to base my tunnel on, roads with an overhanging cliff.
The overhang in my case is only going to be about 50-100mm so not much of an imagination stretch.

1669103767747.png

1669103977206.png

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Think these might be something to base my tunnel on, roads with an overhanging cliff.
The overhang in my case is only going to be about 50-100mm so not much of an imagination stretch.

View attachment 306894

View attachment 306895
Yes traveled along a road like that in France not too far from Perpignan. Also somewhere in a vid of a NG line something very similar as well. Wish I could remember where that was but I think a 750/760mm gauge line

David K

Registered
17 Jul 2016
Offaly, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, the suggestions of a half-tunnel or galeria as they are called on the RhB was not an option for me because I wanted to completely separate the two parallel lines running along the boundary wall of my garden. My solution was to construct a full tunnel 5 metres long using fascia board for the sides secured to the wall with angle brackets. Rectangular plastic trays are used for the roof and are planted with alpine/sedum shrubs. The trays are easily removed for annual maintenance. The wall facing the exposed track is covered with mineral roof felt. Tunnel portals carved from insulation board are mounted at each end of the tunnel. Here's a couple of old photos from two years ago. There are five tunnels on the layout, each named after our dogs, this one is Murphy tunnel and it is the longest. It has been operation for over 3 years without incident (touch wood!!!).

Attachments

• Overview of Murphy Tunnel (1).jpg
    Overview of Murphy Tunnel (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Overview of Murphy Tunnel with roof removed (2).jpg
    Overview of Murphy Tunnel with roof removed (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Another interesting 1/2-gallery (rockfall protection) is the Cruschetta Galerie above Filisur and before Stugl Station. See these images:
Cruschetta Galerie, Tunnel, Cruschetta Galerie construction detail.
Photos free to download from albulabahn.com: sample below
Cruschetta.png

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, the suggestions of a half-tunnel or galeria as they are called on the RhB was not an option for me because I wanted to completely separate the two parallel lines running along the boundary wall of my garden. My solution was to construct a full tunnel 5 metres long using fascia board for the sides secured to the wall with angle brackets. Rectangular plastic trays are used for the roof and are planted with alpine/sedum shrubs. The trays are easily removed for annual maintenance. The wall facing the exposed track is covered with mineral roof felt. Tunnel portals carved from insulation board are mounted at each end of the tunnel. Here's a couple of old photos from two years ago. There are five tunnels on the layout, each named after our dogs, this one is Murphy tunnel and it is the longest. It has been operation for over 3 years without incident (touch wood!!!).
I really like the look of the small tunnel right in front of "Murphy" that is giving me an idea of a couple of short tunnels instead of one long one with a bit of overhang in between.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I really like the look of the small tunnel right in front of "Murphy" that is giving me an idea of a couple of short tunnels instead of one long one with a bit of overhang in between.
Looks like a plan is emerging.

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
As DAVE says, what you are proposing is an Avalanche Shelter, quite common in mountainous regions. We have a few in the U.K and I would be surprised if there were not the odd one or two in your neck of the woods or at least Oz. Just add a mountain or two to your blue backdrop and you are done.

Went thru these on the empire builder august of 19

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a plan is emerging.
Indeed I have a cunning plan in mind.
I did a bit of a mock up yesterday and can make 3 tunnels about 1400mm long (I can reach the centre from either end) with some gaps in between with overhang (so I can get my arm into the tunnels).
3mm fencing wire frame supporting wire mesh covered with either house render (making a rocky look) or artificial turf (or both).
The house render will used to cover some fibre cement sheet to make the overhang.