David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I knew that I had this project on the shelf for some time. It was to convert the LGB Toytrain BP tanker using a conversion kit from GRS. When I sat and worked it out I realised that I had bought the kit ten or more years ago. Oh well, no point in rushing these jobs.

xdig 150613003.JPG

As always, the starting point was to dismanlle the `toy` wagon. It had been my intention, as with my other conversions, to take a series of photographs along the way. From the start I encounterd problems that made that unfeasable. As you will read, I had to wing this conversion as I went along. Basically the conversion is a two parter, the tank and the wagon. The GRS kit modifies the wagon only and not the tank. I decided to go to work on the tank as well. The first thing I did was to cut off the toy outlet pipe and the moulded web. I decided to drill and file the suppport cradles, moulded as one with the tank. I thought that this would lighten up the appearance of the tank and make it less toylike. This is not a task for the fainthearted. The plastic was extremely tough and resistant to drilling and filing. I expended a considerable amount of sweat and swear words on this. The moulded outlet pipe was on one side, I wanted pipes both sides. Having cleaned up the moulding I was left with an angled hole. I extrapolated that hole through the tank to produve a second hole on the opposite side. I fed a section of plasticard rod, of a suitable length, through the holes, and glued, to represent the new outflow pipes. I took two short sections of plasticard tube, rounded at each end, like a doughnut, to represent the valves. Not having any small wheels to use as valve wheels, I used two small shirt buttons just superglued on top. The pipe ends were drilled at right angles and two short lengths of wire glued in to represent the screw off end caps. Apart from a repaint, that is it.

xdig 150617003.JPG

xdig 150617004.JPG

The starting point for the wagon conversion was the GRS kit. Like all of my previous experience of GRS kits, they are very basic parts, requiring additional work, and virtually non-existant instructions. They are not for anyone without modelling skills. The kit comprised 4 x timber baulks, 4 x upright stantions and lengths of support wire. First issue, having removed the railing from the balcony end, there was nothing included to fill this gap. I had to cut and shape a piece of plasticard to fill the gap in the planking. I did not have to texture this as it is covered by one of the `timber` baulks. The `timber` baulks are no more than three thicknesses of plasicard glued together. The cut edges of these baulks were, in part, uneven, and required sanding. The uncut sides were very smooth and shiny and needed sanding to dull them down. Once these baulks were cleaned up, a very passable woodgrain was applied by running the teeth of a razor saw, sideways, along them. Two of these baulks then required four holes drilling in each. The next issue was the so called stantions. These appearred to be lenghts of wagon strapping. They were overlength and there was no indication as to what length they should be. More importantly, they appeared unduly thin and out of proprtion with the weight of the timber baulks they were supposed to support, both in reality and model form. I did have a length of H section girder, but this appeared too heavy. In the end I made up some T section from 1.5 x 4.0 mm plastic strip. Like Goldielocks, this third option seemed just right. So using the afore mentioned bits, I assembled the wagon. I have to say thay once all the support wires were superglued in, the whole structure was vey rigid. I should have mentioned earlier, that before assembling the wagon, I painted the wooden deck. The usual Claptowte Railway embellishments were added, plasticard brake lever, GRS lamp irons, and Al Kramer wheels.

xdig 150617001.JPG

xdig 150617002.JPG

Once everthing was assembled, it was into the paint shop. Finally lettering and CR nameplates. The above sounds as if this converversion was a bit of a trial, but I found the challenges quite interesting. Although the Claptowte Railway has need of only one tank wagon, for the shunting puzzle, the method/materials used in this conversion mean that it is easily reproducable, for additional models, without further recourse to GRS kits and bits.

xdig 150617005.JPG

xdig 150617007.JPG

I am very pleased with the final result and I hope you agree that it has made an acceptable freelance model from another `toylike` item.

David

Reactions: 1 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic job!!! As someone who has struggled with the same grs kit, you write up and photos are a fantastic guide!

Your paint job really brings the finished model to life

Dan

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent conversion and the matt grey paint nicely finishes it off.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job David, particularly like the New Outlet Pipes and the work that you have done to lighten up the Supports. The GRS Kit would not suit me, too British for my German theme but hey that is what you are doing.
JonD

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely job

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Magic. great job. :D

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Beautiful. And if u ever want to sell ie even has my railways lettering :happy:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sunlight on the tank wagon in the garden

xdig 150618003.JPG

xdig 150618006.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No, sorry.......

Can't see a 'Sunlight' logo on there anywhere!! ???
;) ;) :D :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Tank wagon No 25 was one of the rake of 5 wagons that I submitted into the rolling stock category of the G Scale Society modelling competition at G-Rail 2016

dig 160321002.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
What are you using for the lettering on your wagons?

The large C R are 25mm self adhesive matt vinyl purchased on Evilbay. The smaller lettering and numbers are letraset rub on,

David

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Very well deserved sir!
In awe of your skill ...