A Ruston-ish loco

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just put together a sort-of Ruston loco - 3D printed body parts on a HGLW chassis. I've made a few tweaks to a) Fit it on the chassis and b) make it a three-foot gauge version (all the pictures I could find online are 2' gauge versions) - but I feel it kinda looks the part.

IMG_3900.JPGIMG_3902.JPG

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've done a lot more work on this. I wasn't happy with the HGLW chassis. Nothing wrong with the chassis itself, I like them, it just didn't look right with the Ruston. Up to now I've avoided making my own powered chassis. Because I'm a bodger, trying to get precision on mechanisms was something I struggled with. However, 3D printing allows me to design and make things with up to 0.01mm precision, so I gave it a go.

IMG_3910.JPG

Since making this one, I've refined the design so it looks a lot neater. It uses a 12v 25GS370 (170RPM) geared motor and brass bevel gears. The wheels are Bachmann 24.5mm. It has Delrin chain drive for the unpowered axle.

The body now sits more realistically on the chassis.
IMG_3908.JPGIMG_3907.JPG

The body is much wider than it should be, to fit the chassis. I'm now working on a more realistic version of the body - but the running plate will still have to be wider than prototype. My rationale is that, while Ruston extended their narrow chassis for most of their 3' gauge models, in the early days they did make bespoke chassis for 3' gauge models.

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was asked if the metal gears of the geared motor and final drive was noisy. I think it's bearable .....

Rik
Are those brass bearables

David