A really sublimely detailed forty-module indoor layout (narrow-gauge USA theme)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The detail in this layout is extraordinary.
It consists of forty modules which can make up a 45ft x 45 ft layout (not bad for an indoor jobby.
Although it does not have to put up with the rigours of an outdoor layout, it still has bucket loads of ideas that could be 'borrowed'.
If I was to ever build an indoor layout in 'G' or even 'O' scale this one would be my go to for inspiration.
Hand laid track and all......
The video is a long one but some good music is used and the camera dwells on the detail.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!! It would be great if we could achieve that level of realism outdoors. I really loved the trestles (with climbing bears), the animated figures and, of course, the nudes! Got a feeling of deja vu towards the end though.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic layout, wasn't there something similar at Stevenage a few years back? You spent so much time engrossed in the detail, you forget about the rolling stock moving around

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Beautifully detailed, and fallen into the same trap as that traveling layout, Brokebrick Mountain, operational boredom. If a layout is that well detailed, why video just one train?

I've got a real bee in my bonnet about going to railway exhibitions, and ending up viewing dioramas.

Sorry, just having a moan :rock::rock::rock:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think I'm with Rhinochugger Rhinochugger here, the scenic detail, design, artistry and sheer amount of work that must have gone into this layout is mind-blowing, but to the extent that the trains are almost irrelevant. A railway layout should be a believable background to the trains not the other way round IMO, but you have to hugely admire the modelling skills.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rhino and Idle...

They did say in the blurb for the YouTube video that they were creating more highly detailed and weathered, full trains which will be put into service... so I guess that that means that there will be more functioning running schedules.
I personally do not mind following one train around a layout so that there is continuity of story etc.

When I posted the vid I was not saying that it was a multi-functioning layout but that it was incredibly detailed and a lovely thing to see...... but perhaps I am just more into detailed modelling than some (I have been told that when visitors come to my layout...horses for course and all that......

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Not to take anything away from the modeling but I find it hard to believe this is a "modular" layout. There is absolutely no discontinuity where one module ends and another begins. It looks to me like a spectacular club layout not something that can be moved here and there.

Phil S.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Depends what they mean by "modular". I think it is more "dismantleable" than modular in the sense that modules could be rearranged in some way.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Rhino and Idle...

They did say in the blurb for the YouTube video that they were creating more highly detailed and weathered, full trains which will be put into service... so I guess that that means that there will be more functioning running schedules.
I personally do not mind following one train around a layout so that there is continuity of story etc.

When I posted the vid I was not saying that it was a multi-functioning layout but that it was incredibly detailed and a lovely thing to see...... but perhaps I am just more into detailed modelling than some (I have been told that when visitors come to my layout...horses for course and all that......
Indeed. Thanks for posting this, it is a thing of beauty and I couldn't accomplish one square inch to look as good as their whole layout looks. But as you say horses for courses.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
All the above shows what a broad field railway modelling is! From the engineering buffs to the scenery buffs, with plenty of crossover in between.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
All the above shows what a broad field railway modelling is! From the engineering buffs to the scenery buffs, with plenty of crossover in between.

Personally speaking, I have never modelled in the buff, but I have gone topless once or twice.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would not advocate 'buff-modelling'..

Spitting flux, and the odd drop of molten solder, would be eye-watering..
As for spilt super-glue! :eek::eek::shake::shake::shake:
:blush::blush:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rhino and Idle...

Yes, Mike - and I admitted to only having a general moan ........... well, just a moan really.

The detailing is outstanding, and a credit. Also I've seen the shots of your railroad which has a marvelous aura.

I don't have the patience for creating that sort of detail, and I always wonder about the ravages of 1:1 weather - thus the garden railway concept suits me with the ready-made landscaping.

But I have a serious wheel fetish, which also suits me with garden railways, because I just love to see trains rolling :smoke::smoke::smoke:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Depends what they mean by "modular". I think it is more "dismantleable" than modular in the sense that modules could be rearranged in some way.

I think the word you are looking for, is sectional..... broadly aligned with the modular concept, but everything has to go together in a fixed order, as opposed to any which way fits.
Just think of the setting up time, these days I do layouts that take seconds in terms of assembly, rather than hours.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic layout, wasn't there something similar at Stevenage a few years back? You spent so much time engrossed in the detail, you forget about the rolling stock moving around

The safety lesson we get drummed into us, is to expect trains, at any time, on any track, and any direction (preferably not both at once).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think where I'm at is - 'cos I'm not poo-pooing it - I love the detailing; similarly I have enjoyed the detailing of Brokebrick Mountain, but once you've seen it .............

Let's get the trains moving :clap::clap::clap::clap:

...... and then you'll stand there and watch it a whole lot longer and see the details that you missed the first time around >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Not to take anything away from the modeling but I find it hard to believe this is a "modular" layout. There is absolutely no discontinuity where one module ends and another begins. It looks to me like a spectacular club layout not something that can be moved here and there.

Phil S.

It was indeed a modular layout that toured shows in the US and was well documented then on the web. It is down to the skills and disipline of the group of modellers who created its elements that it appears such a cohesive unit as displayed, in any form they chose. If you read the blurb in the link I posted you will realise that the layout's touring days seem to be over and they have found a permanent home for it. I dare say they have taken the opportunity this new permanence offers to, shall we say, make good the joins ;) Max

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Im with beavercreek.
I love detailing.
Finely painted figures. Intricate wooden and cast buildings that bare scrutiny.

In terms of visually digesting the layout as the camera follows the train, i couldnt cope with more operating trains. In fact having one allowed me to not focus on the train detailing for the video..

Funny, this is the sort of detailing that i have always loved most about model trains.
It creates the momentary suspension of disbelief, and takes me into that world.
Its so seamless and complete.
When i am building and painting models, it has a similar, all engrossing effect.

What i think i really loved about the video was how it put that short consist into perspective. There were a few shots that i really understood the massiveness and inertia of the railroad equipment.

Btw fiddletown and Copperopolis (F&C on the equipment) is taken from a comic strip like book about a fictitious California /nevada narrow gauge railroad. It has that malcolm furlow feel and humor as well. And, for train buffs, the accuracy of the railroad, its oddball equipment, etc., were all taken from railroad reality, somewhere. The illustrator was a Disney guy. Carl fallberg, i recall. That outfit, in the late 50s early 60s was a huge den of train nuts.

Fallberg, i recall, used to do single scene comics for Railroad Magazine. Railroad Magazine, was aimed at 1:1 railroaders. I have a few old copies. Articles on how to operate and repair brake assemblies and levers in the engine cab, notable railroad feats in history, newest safety innovations, etc. point, it had a very knowledgable readership. So, the detail to railroad items in the comics is accurate. And, really fun and interesting.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Personally speaking, I have never modelled in the buff, but I have gone topless once or twice.

David
You've obviously lived a very sheltered life