A question about lumber for our North American members

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used to buy packs of redwood lumber from Northwestern Precision Lumber. Very good they were too. Easy to order, easy to size (eg 1/8” x 1/2” x 24” and I got just that). However it seems they‘ve closed down. Does anyone have any suggestions fo another source? I’ve tried a couple of set ups but they either don’t reply or they only do basswood, or pre package sizes for HO and O.

Andrew Foster

Registered
2 Jul 2010
Cambridge, Ontario
gnomengineers.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit slow commenting here, but I had a similar problem some years ago and found that redwood was hard to find anywhere. For indoor work I use basswood from Mount Albert Scale Lumber (Fractional Sized Basswood Strips 16" Lengths - Bulk Quantities) and have found them good to deal with. I needed one particularly tight dimension to suit an existing assembly jig, and they've held it perfectly. They have new owners, but are just as good as ever (no connection; just a satisfied customer). For outdoor work I use red cedar that I have to get milled locally.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Andrew. I actually tracked down two companies - Northeastern Scale Lumber and Kappler Mill and Lumber. I got what I needed from Northeastern and later Kappler got in touch with a slightly higher price. But at least I can get the stuff! Redwood in both cases and repaid shipping.