a problem with eMotion XLS

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
I have a 99-6001 HSB sound decoder fitted in an LGB 2 6 2 loco. It has run successfully in the past, but now when you apply full speed the loco speeds up for about 3 feet then stops, then starts up again, doing this repeatedly. I haven?t altered any of the cv?s from the previous running. I am using an LGB mts2 and LGB hand controller. Any suggestions would be helpful

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have a way of checking the voltage the motors are taking sound like a iffy motor

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Steve. Think I would check the motor out.

These motors seem to start & stop when they are tired.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds to me that the decoder is shutting down due to overload, reseting itself, and going again....

Can you measure the current draw of the motor?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
its sounds like as mums surgest, over load on the chip. ive had v52 do exzactly the same.. it was a worn out motor

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
Sounds a good possibility, I will put a meter on it tomorrow. What sort of current should it be drawing?

Thanks chaps.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Thibk if you remove the motor and wire it on analogue and let it run you will find that it starts and stops/ Hope this helps

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
French Chuffed said:
Sounds a good possibility, I will put a meter on it tomorrow. What sort of current should it be drawing?

Thanks chaps.

0.5 amps, to 0.75 is normal, 1 starting to wear.., 3 will trip the decoda..

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
French Chuffed said:

Thanks chaps.

A good motor running light when removed from the loco with usually draw between 0.1 and 0.2A at approx. 20V.

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
I checked the motor thismorning, running free its drawring .1 to .3A so back to the drawring board.
The motor block runs sort of ok on the track with no decoder, not as smothely as I would like so next I will try the decoder on the motor block with no loco body.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Add a load to the motor - the current may zoom up. My Mallet is perfectly happy at low speed - pulls about 0.2 amp but at full speed the XLS trips out. You can watch the current going up as you go above about speed step 9 (of 14). New motors one day but its OK at the moment - still pulls loads, its just speed that increases the amps.

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
I loaded the free running motor today, with no significant ampere increase. So will re assemble the loco after checking the free movement of the valve gear.