A private/business car for the AV

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I had a Kalamazoo observation car here. I was having trouble deciding what to do with it. I thought about doing a Parlor/Smoker car.
business1.jpg

But I just wasn't inspired.

Then I found some nice pics of a private car
business11.jpg

business9.jpg

business12.jpg

Now THAT was more like it!

Dividers were made from plexi and painted.... but they LOOKED like painted plexi. While pondering a solution I happened to see a container of Chinese fortune telling sticks in the trash at our local flea market. Ready made laquered bamboo paneling!
PA250005.jpg

Seating in the observation area was made from B'mann coach seats covered with cloth. I'd like to fabricate an end table with a gramophone yet.
PA260010.jpg

I couldn't decide between a kitchenette or a bedroom, but since the bedroom was easier, that's what I started to build. It still needs a bookshelf, and a small vertical chest of drawers.
PA260008.jpg

The center part of the car has a conference/dining table, a hutch, and parlor stove. There just isn't room for much more. I'm thinking of adding a mirror over the table, yet.
PA270003.jpg

Kim said that I needed to put the fat guy on the vestibule. The other gent is joining him for a smoke
PA260009.jpg

That's my progress so far. All furnishings will be removed tomorrow for final sanding and finishing, then replaced. I've only been foodling with this thing off and on since April. It might be done by New Years

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Finally almost done! Need to decide on how to do the interior lighting yet, and redo the brake setup on the observation platform. I'll probably replace the rear coupler with a plain loop or knuckle as well. I thought about some sort of fancy scrollwork around the car name, but am too lazy
PB220042.jpg

PB220041.jpg

Tomorrow I get to shoot it outside if it doesn't rain.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
wow mik that looks very nice and plausible too-
id love to see it next to an normal LGB coach , and if you have, an LGB shorty style US coach as well-

that car looks nicely proportioned to go with short locos like the porter or perhaps even those US 2-4-0 abominations (which look like the mikado bred with a pug)

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I had fun outside today
1890s.jpg

and inside too
http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/kimberlycar.html < Link To Business car 'Kimberly' backstory

As for a comparative photo, no LGB, but will a Botchmann do?
PB230042-1.jpg

The Kalamazoo car is 14" long over the ends of the platforms (28 feet in 1:24)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely work Mik

At first I saw the first two photos and thought that you had acquired a REAL business car! And then saw your great interpretation..Well done me lad (sounds a bit patronising I know but great work all the same)