dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This thread came about specifically because someone wrote in another Playmobil thread about Open Wagons ref 5264 being available from Playmobil Direct for £9.00 as it was a no brainer I got 2 with little idea what to do with them except possibly repaint them and single buffer them to integrate into my Fluorspar Workings. Anyway I spent a day or two cogitating then the Light Bulb moment occured. When Andy Rush was alive and I regularly helped Operate his Ruschbahn I was constantly coming up with ideas to make the line a bit more interesting. I invented 3 Connecting Lines and the LLB was one of them. The Train was assumed to come over a Rack so my Blue Rack Electric and sundry Blue Coaches and Wagons installed to run on the Line. However Andy had his two pennyworth by creating a Sand Quarry on the Line, converting 2 Bachman Bogie Opens complete with Balconies to move the Traffic. These when about caused constant aggravation to the Yardmaster at Millisee Yard where they interfaced from the LLB to their destination on the Ruschbahn. When Andy sadly died I could have taken them on, but I knew that 2 more Bogie Wagons of which I already have 5 would have been a problem for me capacity wise. So they disappeared off to a new life near Lowestoft Way via Glendale Jcn.

Here is a pic of the LLB Train with just 1 of the Sand Wagons about to return to the LLB on the very heavy Mixed Train. Seen at Millisee.

image.jpeg

Move forward now to my light bulb moment. I have occasionally had a dabble with the LLB Train on my new line, running it from my Shed to make connections at my Sternhaus Station. My thinking then went on the line of what of there was a Sand Quarry somewhere on the Branch? I could use the 2 Playmobil Opens for this Traffic in ones or two's as defined by my Wagon Movement System. So this project came to life.

First I needed to decide what to do with the Wagons, inevitably Sand Wagons tend not to have Doors. So the Playmobil ones would need to be removed. Also those horrible large Red Handholds. Some filling would be required of holes etc. plus filling in the Door Spaces. A Single Buffer would replace the two, more hacking and finally a repaint. Yesterday I made a start on the project and this post is a description of where I niw am.

But first a Pic of the Starting Point.

image.png

Next up is a pic showing some of the destruction and the two Tools used to do it. The knife goes under the Handrail to stop the screwdriver damaging the body as I pop out the Handrail. Doors pop out esily. The Chassis is not quite so easy and the next pic shows where I gently ease the Body off the Chassis with the screwdriver

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The next Pic shows the end with Buffers removed. The Right side shows what needs to be cleaned off with Sandpaper and Wet n Dry to finish as seen on the Left.

image.jpeg

The next pic has a lot going on, but you can see where I have cut off the Door Mounts and started the fill. Also the Handrail Holes have been filled. Both with the Green Putty illistrated. I usually do this in two snatches as it is not always possible to do the complete thing in one pass. I tend to leave things overnight to ensure completely dry before attempting the next splurge of Putty. Oh the Knife with blunt blade is my Tool of Choice for applying the Putty. Finally the door gaps have begun their journey to complete oblivion. They are just pieces of Black Plasticard approx 130x59 mm.

I use a Razor Saw to remove all the unwanted bits of the Wagon.

image.jpeg

Next Pic shows some more detail added to the former Door Openings also showing the Top and Gussets (not very visible) to the Top where it joins the Overhanging Grey Top Plate. I have purposely left the Top Plate narrower than the original to indicate that this was a Wagon (in real life) that has been into the Shops for modification to a new role.

image.jpeg

Finally at close of play today the next Wagon with all its bits cut out ready to add and Buffers waiting for Modification for the two Wagons.

image.jpeg

JonD

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the complement Casey.

Today I have been beavering away at these Wagons. Though Pics do not look like much to Show. First I attacked the Buffers. These needed to be shortened quite a bit as they hit the Coupling Finger Pushes if nit and I rather like these. I cut a little bit off the Coupling top after shaving the Coupling Mount to just about where the Gromit that holds the Buffer in place. I Melted them in place with Plastic Weld and some Plastic Strip on the joins to strengthen it up. This and a Modified and Unmodified Buffer can be seen in the first pic. Might be difficult to see the Coupling Mid, but you can probably make out how close the Coupling is to the Centre Buffer in place.

image.jpeg

I finished the work of filling the two Wagon Bodies, put all the pre cut bits on the second and have started the Paint Work on the Chassis. The next Pic shows one after all over application of Halford's Rattle Matt Grey Undercoat. Both have had this treatment and also a coat of Baufix Matt Black and are spending the night in the Airing Cupboard to fully dry the Paint off. I use the Pound Shop Lazy Suzan to wizz the Wagon bits round during Spraying. The Playmobil Wheels have been removed and will be replaced by Bachmann Metal ones.

image.jpeg

Next job will be to clean up the Filler and then think about Painting the Bodies.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had a bit of a disaster with some of the Fill when popping the Body back onto the Chassis. Effectively the bottom Hinge Fill came unhinged as it were as the first pic shows.
image.jpeg
I got round this problem by using lettering to hide the sins as shown in the next pic. Oh by the way the pic above graphically shows another issue to be sorted, the Axle Guards.
image.jpeg
Next up to sort the Axle Guards, this is a simple Plasticard Cutting Job. The next Pic shows the initial piece, complete with hole for the extended Axles. Cutting dimensions shown. 20 thou Plasticard.
image.jpeg
First fit of Plasticard.
image.jpeg
Next up the representation of Oil Boxes, just sufficient size to Cover the Axle Holes. I used 30thou here with a small Angle Filed on the top. In truth you could go to town on detail here, but I used the Metre away rule.
image.jpeg
Finally for this post the Wagon Loads, I like to have removable Loads so this method is used in all my Opens. Basically a shape of whatever to hand cut just under the inside dimensions. Then a H is added underneath to bring the load to the required height. This is as seen glued to the Middle so that the end section can be pushed down to unload unload the Wagon.

You can see that I have already glued some sand in to the bottom, in truth the complete Load would not be removed unless the Wagon has been put through a Tippler. I imagine that unloading is done via a Grab Digger.

Weathering has also been carried out, I used Weathering Powders and my normal mix of Dry Brushing various Tamiya Matt Colours.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
The bits of Tissue are to make the Load uneven as if the Hopper or whatever used to Load the Wagon has not quite got things level. This will become clearer on the next post.
image.jpeg Finally the load is glued in place. But next post for this.
JonD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This set of pics pretty much wraps up this Conversion. The first image shows how I copped out with my Tail Marker by just drilling 4 holes in the Body. One at each corner. You can just make out the one on the Left. Obviously another is where the Marker is sitting.
image.jpegThese two pics show nicely the Silica Sand Load in place. I glued it down to the previously shown construction with 50/50 Water and PVA with a little Washing Up Liquid. But first after a Spray from a cheepo Drug Shop Mister with another bit of Washin Up Liquid added to the Water. After each Spray a night in the Airing Cupboard then another dose of Spray. Probably about 5 applications of Glue before it was sufficiently Hardened.
image.jpeg

Final pic shows the two Loaded Sand Hoppers enjoying the Sun Today before a Trip to Stiege on the next Mixed.

image.jpeg

Finally many thanks to idlemarvel for posting the superb price on these Wagons from PM Direct.

JonD

Reactions: 6 users

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
That is a superb conversion job Jon, very impressive.

I can confirm the pair of sand wagons you mentioned are still at Lowestoft in the company of the old Millisee Station Pilot, which has had a livery make-over.

DSCF0001.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A very informative and helpful thread with superb customs at the end of it.

Many thanks for posting it.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see the old Sandwagons and Millisee Pilot. She does look good in BR Green. Good that all are loved and well cared for. Andy is I am sure smiling on you.
JonD