A new trend at the WP&YR

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The WP used to offer a lunch at Lake Bennett when on the Skagway-Carcross run during a 1 hour lay-over. Not any more. They now serve the meal on the train. Some cars were outfitted with tables and a container on a flatcar (its now a new 30 footer, a 20 footer has always been in that consist) is used as a serving kitchen, outfitted with freezers, ovens and prep tables. Power comes from the locomotive, I guess. The car has railings on each end platform and end doors, to carry the food back into the passenger cars. Big sliding doors on each side are to allow for the loading of the bulky equipment. See picture.
The idea came to me, why not build a container, specially modified, just like the prototype and put it on a modified flatcar. Said and done. I have several Coaches already and when the new addition is painted and lettered I will have a complete typical Carcross train consist. I may just build my own flatcar too,

Attachments

• Container Prototype.jpg
    Container Prototype.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Container Brass Model 1.jpg
    Container Brass Model 1.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Corrugation Tool.jpg
    Corrugation Tool.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Container Brass Model 2.jpg
    Container Brass Model 2.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The WP used to offer a lunch at Lake Bennett when on the Skagway-Carcross run during a 1 hour lay-over. Not any more. They now serve the meal on the train. Some cars were outfitted with tables and a container on a flatcar (its now a new 30 footer, a 20 footer has always been in that consist) is used as a serving kitchen, outfitted with freezers, ovens and prep tables. Power comes from the locomotive, I guess. The car has railings on each end platform and end doors, to carry the food back into the passenger cars. Big sliding doors on each side are to allow for the loading of the bulky equipment. See picture.
The idea came to me, why not build a container, specially modified, just like the prototype and put it on a modified flatcar. Said and done. I have several Coaches already and when the new addition is painted and lettered I will have a complete typical Carcross train consist. I may just build my own flatcar too,
Very impressive,

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely piece of work. Did you make your own corrugating tools, or are they bought-in? The crisp forming really lifts the model -it's almost a shame to paint it.

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The corrugating tool is scratch-made. A simple pair of milled brass plates, use as a successive tool, did the trick. The brass sheet metal is fairly thin, only 0.2 mm thick. The shape, after being formed into the corrugation pattern, gives it the strength. The pressing was done one fold at a time, done in the vice. You must have seen the picture of the tool. Have another look. The container will be painted. I agree, it is almost a shame to do that. I try to do clean soldering and the paint covers all that special attention.