dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have had this LGB 4063 OBB Bogie Van for far more years than I can properly remember. It was certainly kicking around when I started building my line at Leagrave back in 1986, but may not be too many years older than that. It has been used and abused, had 4 differing coupling systems and for a time even differing ones at each end to act as a match wagon for open days where it has done sterling service with Live Steam pulling a long string of LGB coupling equipped vehicles. it has even had USA sourced metal wheels that are rusted to hell after years of being left out in the garden at Leagrave 24/7/365, that is where some of its weathering has come from. It has also done sterling service since I got into East German Harz lines and has sported correct type of numbers for that line. However its days are numbered as every time it is in a consist it shouts “hey I am an Austrian 750mm gauge wagon” at me. However it has been very useful as a dumping ground and a couple of plasticard boxes, one is seen from the one poking out of the door have been useful storage for all sorts of stuff.
F256806E-5E25-4E69-B1FC-B95487935869.jpeg
So I have grabbed the nettle and am making a more appropriate body for the chassis, however one day I may decide to go the while hog and do a chassis as well, there are a couple of spare LGB Bogies kicking around somewhere. Then it can go into its box and storage in the loft.

I started by using my Scheers and Wall book of the Harz lines to get some measurements, this showed that I should really be making something much longer but as we are strapped for space at certain Stations on the DR the chassis length will be retained and I will be doing an LGB with my flexible ruler. After I had got a way on with the sides and ends I remembered this sad beast at Wernigerode Hasserode Station.
9AA1795D-2C51-4534-9D30-3A5047D70D21.jpeg
EDED5323-716A-4912-92C7-EB9438DC6A5A.jpeg
This was pretty much what I was aiming for and I wish I had remembered the picture before cutting! However I found a couple more bogie vans had been photed by me in 2016 as below. Clearly both are not quite what I am doing as the Green one is clearly some kind of Track Inspection Van, the Blue one is somewhat similar but without the end windows. Both do not have a balcony and I wanted to retain that with the roof extending over it as the old wreck had. Clearly much has occurred over the years to these bogie vans and as I am predominantly in the 1980’s era the one I have chosen was around as I am modeling the line in 1989 as a Gerätewagen (Equipment Cart) meaning some sort of Engineers use. This I guess fits in quite well as the Wagon waybills send Vans all over the system so this can use them with no issues.
38ED7A6C-0F48-4D32-9D7D-FF2D070BB2E8.jpeg

8D794152-5770-436A-8030-8B35A05848F6.jpeg
This is progress up to now, I have used for the first time on a wagon 3mm plastic coated foamboard. It scribes nicely and shoild be sufficiently strong enough for the odd scrape or two. Inhabe ellected not to add grain detail as you can see they have all had so much paint over the years it is non existent. The LGB chassis will ensure good running though a little extra weight may be called for. Plenty of room in that body.
41F38CBF-7806-4BE2-AE82-B6498BFE2803.jpeg
26CD161D-B3C7-458C-AFC8-76B5F3D8512E.jpeg

264C1C2D-440E-44F1-9962-6FCABAB0C4D3.jpeg
Glue used has been predominantly UHU Power to stick the sides and ends together and the plastic U that has been used for the strapping. Unibond Contact has been used for the inside strengthening pieces and Peco Track pins have started to be used for Rivets. There will be lots of them to add so this will be a little at a time job, quite a few will pass through into the black inner strengthening cross pieces that will also act as internal support for the roof. This is the situation at close of play today. Project started yesterday lunch time.
B463B90C-CC0C-468F-BF15-A88948630E2A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Should you decide you don't want that body Jon, I have an empty chassis looking for a partner.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Being a wet day I found it appropriate to attack riveting, not many put in place but lots of holes drilled for the pins. I attacked the ones that will not go into anything the other side as these will all need to be cut down in size. Here you can see the job in progress with the tools used and a couple of the pins, one crucially cut to size for where there is nothing behind. File is to clean off any swarf left over after the drilling process, brush to get rid if it. For those of an enquiring mind the drawing pin goes into the pin vice at the end to stop blisters on my hand when drilling.
2663E0F2-680E-4700-B4EF-C3C558B6B73C.jpeg
Brutal close up of some holes.1713293B-60A1-4651-9CCF-B00809863E26.jpeg
Here you can see the specially cut block that I cut to use where holes would have come through into and marked the chassis, something I did not want to do.
74701479-BC16-420B-B32E-F1606B57F011.jpeg
I have cut out lengths of 30thou plasticard 4mm wide to make up the end L girders. These have been glued on with UHU and when dry I used some plastic weld so that they can be loosely sanded to loose both the joint and give a slight curved edge. All of the rivets at the bottom will be even more severely cut off so that just enough pokes into but not through the hole to be Hafix’d in place.
C3628F39-96F9-4526-96A3-AB946CD4D8E5.jpeg
I have not attacked drilling the remaining holes where the middle strengthening pieces are as I will be painting the drill to mark how deep in I wish to drill. There is a limit to how long these Peco pins can be when pushing them into foamboard before they give up the ghost and bend out of shape.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Noticing that my latest post was last Thursday I thought an update would be due. Not a lot to tell, I have been grinding away at bolt placing and drilling holes for them to fit in plus cutting certain ones to length. In post 5 I erroneously described these as rivets but bolts are the more likely construction passing through the metal strapping to have a nut and washer fitted on the inside of the van on the real thing. This would I guess allow for rapid replacement of a bent or rotting timber. Now if my Grandpapa were still alive he would be able to confirm or deny that thinking. He was a Carriage and Wagon Foreman at Wakefield Kirkgate.

Below you can see many of the Bolt Heads that have been shortened to pass through where there is no interior bulkhead, the bottom 2 holes require a head only so very careful cutting and retaining required for these. In all cases I use my trusty nippers and have the sharpe end pointing into a plastic container that I use to collect all scrap. I do not want my workshop littered with effectively pins all over the place, plus I have Barney to think about.
7D0B2FCA-299B-4A63-8E56-FE2945FE7508.jpeg
Here you can see that I am using a puddle of Hafix to dunk the Bolt Heads in prior to placing them in their holes. Bendy Tweezers work just fine for this job.
51E37DC2-10DA-421A-BF1C-AFB9E6ED0BC7.jpeg
For the full length ones that press into a bulkhead I use my trusty pliers that had been modified Many years ago for pressing Track Spikes, how odd that someone else in the Forum mentioned just such a mod in the last day or so. Though from adds in US mags these sort of things are (Or perhaps were) available ready to go. Trick on these is to pick one up with a finget, place it in the recess press down as far as it will go. Do the line and then press down with the flat end. This way I get hardly any bend overs with these little pins.
2340A794-195B-4F1F-822D-9EE71C32FC7C.jpeg
Here you can see that I have left some in part and full installation state.
10390B9F-8A43-4327-BBAF-53B359F37F78.jpeg
Here I am on with the next side, the short ones have all been put in place and they were a real faf with a magnetic screwdriver, Hafix and a little foul language. Good job there were only 2 to each piece of strapping except for the 2 L end straps. Note the screwdriver with a nice long trail of pins, Central strikes again and I followed advice. Rubbed a strong magnet along it 12 times and the difference was amazing.
E11D8263-11CF-4C94-A514-1BBADE12A939.jpeg
I just have one end of 2 strapping glued ones to do that are already cut and will then be on with the next oart which will be to construct the door. More Bolt Heads I fear.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Beautifully done. An artist at work.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I finally managed to place the final batch of Bolt Heads prior to the ones for the doors, though that some of you may be interested in how I manage a workbench height for a long vehicle. Had to do 2 blobs of Hafix as it was drying on the old bit of board too fast.

Oops wrong iPad pics on other one will post in a minute!

You can also see my blue scrap saving box in this pic. Fortunately the shelf that is getting junked up again is out of view. Those Traffic Cones, still unpainted have gravitated back!

9770F18A-E913-465E-8320-EB572A14244A.jpegC5CBB1EC-8A0E-4080-92D9-E2FFF5F041CB.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nevermind, Peko SL-14 it is! Also available in the Netherlands!
Yes they are the ones £2 to £3.57 a packet so shop around, though you may probably get them at your local friendly Model Shop if they stock Peco.

Are you sure they're not breeding like the full sized ones do?
yes I think they could well be.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bougth 10 bags, should be good for 2500 pieces. Good price, € 3,25 per bag.
Hm think that should be enough for a while. Have used just under 460 on my van up to now with perhaps another 100 to go without even making a dent in my supply. Not sure how many bags worth, I have but may at some stage have bought them and consolidated the supplies when they came to hand. You know the score, buy it put it somewhere safe loose it! Then find it just after you have replaced the missing one or ones.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Quite impressive workmanship !

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Got my delivery of the Peco SL-14 and it is only now I realize the heads are flat! Who that fooled me!
Very glad I got them, they are of perfect size.
Have responded on your other thread, those you got are not SL-14.