A Large Mason Bogie

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Peter,
You have built a very beautiful model . It captures the feel of the prototype perfectly. I have seen 4 of the 2-6-6T models running in Golden , Colorado at our garden layout.
I have one observation that might help. In the book " Mason Steam Locomotives " by Art Wallace , he has the builders photo of number 28 . The photo shows that the whistle rod goes into the ring below the top lip of the dome, not the whistle itself. The rod also appears to pass to the right side of the sand dome and wind up on the engineers side of the cab. It doesn't appear that the whistle rod was mounted on the centerline of the cab/ boiler. This might help straighten out the bend in the rod you have. The proportions of the domes is " spot on " . I have an HOn3 model of this locomotive built by Balboa in 1965 and everything you have done is perfect.
Again a very very nice model .

Charles M

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Brilliant!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
awestricken silence.....
bit of drool

envy

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Charles,

Yes I have the book, and was going to make the operating rod as the photo, I had even made a housing for the dome collar: however a straight one hit the top of the bell rig, even when moved to be at a slope (looking downwards from above) and I am not going to make a lower one! So, alas the curved version stays. It is quite amazing how everything has such close tolerances! Who said F scale building is easy as its so big?

I sent a note to Heimburger Publishers for onward e- mail transmission to Art Wallace but never had a reply from him. I was hoping for a clearer version, of the builders photo.

Yours Peter.

Hi All, Thank you for all the other comments - they are much appreciated.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Re:A Large Mason Bogie - transfers added and completed.

Hi,

David Fletcher has worked his magic with a Cad system, and in Arizona, Stan Cedarleaf did some superb printing with his ALPS printer of the 4 PDF's of transfers that then winged their way across the Atlantic to me - they are ion two colours gold and red.

When I had finished most of the work on my hotel it was time to start to add the transfers to my loco; there were a lot of them! Slowly they were added, a large amount of them being very small pieces: I finished off with the largest pieces of all - which were a complete sheet for each side of the bunker - those being just over 7" long and 2" deep - they having plenty of water underneath them happily went on very easily.

All have been varnished down tight, and although there are a small number of items that will need attention the loco is maily complete. The intention was to finish off the loco is its 'as delivered' state.

Here are some photos of it taken today when it was sunny (though the sun was fast disappearing behind the bulk of the house: it was cold but warmer than yesterday!

8867d4a5f5ef474a9a7f8c6d358482b9.jpg

driver's side of the loco, from ground level with the loco of my photo location, on the trestle.

c012a056bace44f5ae66da8dead6e387.jpg

fireman's side with a 'bit sloping' photo - apologies for that I didn't notice it when taking the photo, it has beeen partially straightened but not enough as there would betoo much white in the upper left hand corner.

0279511b29434595800722fe2b8876bd.jpg

Low level view of drivers side.

8147ec75bf8e4ffd9c9ff5863340c599.jpg

Camera lifted up a bit showing more of the domes etc.

d5307db256e74f92977df48ddefb7aaa.jpg

Two views of the rear - a couple of plans of this loco showed a number is a panel on the back of the bunker - so it was included in the transfers with the same design around it as the side panels. The vertical part of the bunker has three pieces - one per side: these are the largest pieces of the whole set.

892dc8756cc84ebba8de437880c7165f.jpg

Fireman's side top view, with a bit (oops!) of the 'cowcatcher' cut off

757f4848c4a94a4f992fc61ae5df93f6.jpg

Two views of the loco with something to do - the first freight car is the largest that were built for the DSP&PRR - they were built to move Charcoal from the lineside Charcoal ovens (shaped like a beehive); they were so large that they were eventually fitted with standard gauge trucks and were the size of standard gauge boxcars. This was one of my earliest scratchbuilt boxcars.

e69d4bb3d02d4dde90f17288b856cefa.jpg

a final top view, slightly out of focus, it shows the fireman's tools I have been making for my locos; there is a poker, a clinker buster, and a coal pick. The shovel is the Bachmann one.

df395289c48e42559a62763182b4ed35.jpg

Here is a better view - taken inside this time with the 'close up' switched on in the camera.
The tender is a different one - its not of the Big Mason Bogie, but a Baldwin tender.
The design is taken from the old Midland Railway style and they are made made from 1.25mm diameter brass wire, with the pick head made from scrap plastic. The brass wire will bend easier if its annealed in a gas flame: blackened with a blackening agent and trimmed in silver (where they would get worn from use).=

Enjoy!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Darned excellent Peter. One hell of a loco and a project to be extremely proud! :clap::clap::clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

:clap:

Nice loco, brilliant build Peter.