A Garden Railway Adventure (Southern Cross Rly)

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
<p>Well I picked this up at ExpoNG and purely on the pictures alone it is worth every penny. </p><p>First impressions are a quality book with nice paper and lots of big colour photos. The text is chatty and very readable while getting all the ideas across. The pictures are stunning with full use made of different lighting and there are several you would struggle to tell from the prototype save for the familiar models in them. It really captures the modelling and gives the impression of a proper miniature railway.</p><p>I had already got the other Atlantic title with a brief look at it and this fulfills the promise of that taster.</p><p>Slightly hidden away until you sit down to enjoy it is page 84 and a sea of concrete blocks with tracks winding between shows the bare bones of the layout and there are a few line drawings to explain the construction of tunnels.</p><p>If you have enjoyed the previous articles on the Southern Cross then this will be a certain hit, if you've never heard of it beware if you pick it up at a show you will very likely find yourself holding the folding stuff out to the man behind the stall with the other hand. You have been warned :clap: </p><p> </p>

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Picked up mine at Llanfair. Technically a christmas present so I have only given it a quick scan - impressive - recommended.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's on my Christmas list. Was tempted to get a signed copy at Llanfair but priorities were elsewhere and my pocket money would only stretch so far. My only concern is that the quality of this line is so high I will feel depressed about my own after reading it.

Rik

Rich

Railways from model to 1:1.</br>T.V. - comedy, Doc
24 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
I shall have to keep a look out for this too, I remember seeing a feature on it a while and the quality of the railway and stock amazed me!

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
<p>
ge_rik - 3/11/2009 7:38 AM It's on my Christmas list. Was tempted to get a signed copy at Llanfair but priorities were elsewhere and my pocket money would only stretch so far. My only concern is that the quality of this line is so high I will feel depressed about my own after reading it. Rik
</p><p>Actually that is the genius in this book, it only details small simple steps to get the 'feel', he writes as if his railway was fifteen feet long. No need to worry the least about feeling inadequate. more likely you will feel 'wow, I can do that' :)
</p>

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I picked up a copy at the Narrow Gauge Show in Swanley last Saturday. Saved me a heap of postage costs, well not me as she who must be obeyed is buying it for me for Christmas. Not that she knew that till I presented it to her on Saturday evening! So now I hav to wait till I can see it. Judging from this post I can't wait.
JonD :clap:

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi, </font></p><p><font size="3">Its well worth the wait, I have a copy since before the Llanfair show, and it has a lot in it. </font></p><p><font size="3">I love the comment re the builders merchant - thats all I will say the rest you will find out later.</font></p><p><font size="3">Well worth it with superb photos & printing though I don't have the space Nick does:applause: </font></p><p><font size="3"> </font></p>

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Just got this yesterday - simply put, it is the best garden railway book I have ever read.

Great text, superb photos, totally inspirational, regardless of your own direction in terms of prototype (or not).

Simples.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

orville

Registered
29 Nov 2009
Rainy Rochdale
Best answers
Had a quick look at this book at Llanfair and thought it was worth it just for the pictures. So last week under the cover of darkness I borrowed SWMBOs bank card and ordered it for her. I love to see surprised faces on Christmas Day morning. I just hope she lets me borrow it every now and again. :D

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
This book is an inspiration!
I got it for Christmas & I must have read it 7 or 8 times since . I just wish the author had spent some time imparting his weathering techniques ! As I have never seen such fantastic looking stock anywhere , the Baldwin Annies are superb, as are the Consols , my father-in law thought they were pictures of a real railway ! I wish I could take my B.R. Lady Anne for a run on there. The Book is written in a good humored way & show's what can be achieved with a limited budget in terms of rolling stock & loco's . A must read for all .
Cheers Garry

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ive read it about 20times !

if anyone wants it or is contemplating...............

BUY IT!