A.C. Crest Train Engeeneer 2.4 questions

greggk

Registered
26 Sep 2011
Best answers
Hello All,
New to the "Remote Control" aspect of model railroading. Using LGB Locomotives, mostly older non DCC stuff. I bought the new 2.4 TX and Track Base and think its wonderful. The way I understand it is there 2 receivers that can be bought, a 15AMP track side unit and a 5AMP on board (CRE 57002) unit. Well, I have no idea how to hook up the on board RX to my old (or new DCC ones for that matter) LGB Locos, nor do I want to really add these RX in all my Locos. So, what I was wondering was could I use the smaller on board RX as a track base some how on smaller loops or on a reversing unit if I limit the AMPs and only run a small single motor on that track? I hate the idea of spending the money on the big 15AMP Track bases and put them on several different tracks but only utilize a few amps on each... Does that make any scene what I'm asking

BTW, is there a converter that makes these hook up to LGB Locos easier?

Thanks,
Gregg

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hi Gregg.
Yes it is possible to use the 5amp version as a track base, just a case of providing the right power supply to it. I can't help you exactly how to do it, but we use two to control the Wellington Garden Railway Group's display railway. If I remember correctly the chap who wired them up used old lap top power supplies.
If others can't help further I can find out from Chris that did the WGRG's how he did it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I supect that you could use the lower powered unit via another power supply as has been stated. But why would you want to do this? If you are setting up a supply from scratch go for full Battery supply. No Track cleaning and if you have more Locomotives that you want to buy recievers for just do a van with one in to plug into other items of motive power.

I have now 3 units that I have converted to the Aristo system and they do get a lot of use on my line, particularly when I cannot be bothered to go round to clean all the track.

JonD

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Gregg,
you mention that you use LGB locomotives. If any have factory sound then I advise against using the 5 amp receivers. I believe that these use pulse width modulation power and are not suitable for LGB sound board circuits. From memory the 15 amp has both linear (pure DC) and PWM power.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps I shoud have mentioned that my conversions have been of:-
1x LGB Lcomomtive that had no sound and now has a Peter Jones one.
1x Locomotion Battery Railcar with a Myloco Sound system.
1x Scratch Body on Bachman Tram Chassis with a Phoenix Sound System.
So no LGB Sound involved.

Not sure about the spec on older LGB Sound Systems though, perhaps someone would like to comment in view of the previous post.
JonD