A big leap into live steam

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I found this on FleaBay. It looks like a neat little live steamer at a reasonable price. I've actually gone and bought one (which I hope was a good idea) but I've had 2 thoughts:

a) Have I done the right thing? What does everyone else think?

b) If it is a bargain, I thought you should be made aware of it in case you miss out! No sense in keeping it to myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HK-Porter-Liv...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cace3d972

11a69190053b40248c89b7b549089cc0.jpg

Ooops, just found the Ebay section on this forum. Sorry, I think I've posted it in the wrong place.... :eek::

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Thats a lovely looking little engine Tom. My knowledge of live steam is very limited im afraid (limited to pretty much nothing!) but i do like the look of that.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
It seems to be based on an Accucraft Ida but better made .Wouldn't mind one meself actually.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
thats on eof the chinese versions of the accucraft isnt it?
heard these are respectable but have no first hand experience

well i think you should get right in there and fire er up-do the checklist-lube and tighten everything-

distilled water and steam oil 

dont be worried or frustrated -often these engines are a bit touchy until you figure each other out

filler up and flame on

you may need to give a slight push once it blows off, to clear the cylinders  

be aware that it might run away at a very good clip so your track should be level-and not to tight a corner 

i think youre about to have a lot of fun
thats a  fine looking engine

let us know asap and good luck 

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Cheers everyone, thanks for the info.

If I get 1/2 as much fun out of this as I have with my Hornby LS, I'll be well pleased!

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
"Not just machines of cold, hard metal, they are vividly alive" , love that quote from their website, run time in excess of 10 minutes sounds a bit poor though. Still looks nice , have fun with it & let us know what you think.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
garrymartin said:
run time in excess of 10 minutes sounds a bit poor though.
I thought that as well but then I thought 'Hmmm.. my railway is only a small oval, so watching it run round and round and round for even 10 minutes would mean I'd either get bored or it would make me so dizzy that I'd probably fall over!' :rofl:

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi Tom

Live steam locos can be like chalk & Cheese!

I have owned several over the years ( 14! I think) I sometimes get the urge to have a live steam loco, but often they get sold after a year or two,

By their very nature it has to be remembered whilst live steam is closer to reality than electrically powered steam outline locos, there is an old saying that Tom Cooper ( Merlin loco works owner some years back), "you either run a railway, or run a live steam loco" Meaning that LS requires constant attention (especially manually controlled ones) wheras electric propulsion allows a bit more time to do other things on the railway whilst trains are running.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
This loco was made up from some drawings stolen from the Accucraft factory in China by an ex-employee. The same person who stole drawings for a standard 4 tank that happened to be the design rejected by Accucraft because it didn't work. The legitimate standard 4MT's that did so well in the UK a year or so ago were built to "Plan B". Now then, anyone seen any cheap 4MT's for sale yet?

As the chimney dimensions are more to do with an attrractive electric model rather than than a practical live steamer I'd be kind of interested to know if it actually works ? (For readers not in the know chimney height, diameter, and smokebox volume can be quite critical in the draughting of a steam loco).

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it won't work, but sure am interested!

Please do report how things go Old Tom we need to know!

Happy steamings,

John

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sea Lion said:
...The same person who stole drawings for a standard 4 tank that happened to be the design rejected by Accucraft because it didn't work. The legitimate standard 4MT's that did so well in the UK a year or so ago were built to "Plan B". Now then, anyone seen any cheap 4MT's for sale yet?

well.... funnily enough there's also a 4MT advertised...
http://bowande.en.ec21.com/Steam_Engine_Model--3702327_3702394.html

... and a very LGB-looking BR220 diesel (same loco number 220 076-4 as LGB 21940?)
http://bowande.en.ec21.com/Metal_Locomotive_Toy--3702327_3703443.html

Isn't this Porter loco the same one that SCO Racing have been advertising (the shop selling the Newquida stuff?)

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
... and a very LGB-looking BR220 diesel (same loco number 220 076-4 as LGB 21940?)
http://bowande.en.ec21.com/Metal_Locomotive_Toy--3702327_3703443.html

Except the LGB isn't to the correct scale of 1/32, this one is, and LGBs is not brass either.
http://bowande.en.alibaba.com/ < Link To The selection
These seems to be limited runs for customers that they offer to others, the first customer does not have 'exclusive rights'.
Is this the same factory that made the Bachmann Brassworks range?
I first spotted that little porter on trial runs along with the big Chinese 2-10-2.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Fill it up with water, gas and steam oil, add a bit of weight on the draw bar with a couple of wagons and a caboose, light blue touch paper.............

and retire immediately :D

Whatever its limitations, if your track's fairly level, you'll be able to have some fun with it. :clap::clap::clap:

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
funandtrains said:
If 6 of us want them we could by a case direct from the manufacturer in China and get them much cheaper.

Thats actually not a bad idea, but I notice they only quote FOB pricing. You'd need to ask them for a CIF cost.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
The feed back I have had on these indicates that they do have some problems. I know a repairer down here wont touch them.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Thanks for all the info lads... I am getting a tad worried though!

Still, if it is a bit of a b++++r, I can always ask you lovely people to suggest ways to make it a better runner and I'll probably enjoy the challenge as well :)

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
funandtrains said:
5H17 said:
funandtrains said:
If 6 of us want them we could by a case direct from the manufacturer in China and get them much cheaper.

Thats actually not a bad idea, but I notice they only quote FOB pricing. You'd need to ask them for a CIF cost.

Can you explain what FOB and CIF are?

Sorry...blonde moment.
FOB means 'Free on board' Basically means they will deliver the item to a port and load it on a boat.
CIF is cost inclusive of freight. In other words, delivered to your chosen port. Then youve got VAT and import duty on top of that.

Ive no idea what the rate of duty would be on those actually. Can probably find out.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Old Tom said:
Thanks for all the info lads... I am getting a tad worried though!

Still, if it is a bit of a b++++r, I can always ask you lovely people to suggest ways to make it a better runner and I'll probably enjoy the challenge as well :)

Tom dont be worried the one you bought offers a one year warrenteeeee

Tony

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Well, it all went a bit 'Pete Tong' :(

We've agreed to cancel the transaction because the listing had several errors which meant that PayPal put my money on hold (it's long story but the end result is that I've got all my money back). It's going to be re-listed correctly and I'll buy that one and receive it next week.

However, the long telephone call from the guy who's responsible for the listings for this company has resulted some possible good news for me.

This is their first foray into model locos - their main earner is selling large scale sailing ship models. After he'd seen my website and the ship models I've built, he asked if there was a chance of me repairing models that arrive damaged from their suppliers (it appears that there are enough to be causing them problems). Of course I said yes. :D

So please, cross your fingers and hope that I get a live steamer next week....and that this company suffer a huge amount of 'damaged in transit' models in the near future. :)

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Latest update:

The Porter is no more :(

I was getting fed up with the lead times he was quoting, so I had a look on EBay and found an Accucraft Caradoc for £525 which seems a reasonable price.

c6b48235329644a49646168338f611e5.jpg

I feel a lot better about this transaction because it's from a firm that's local to me and they are going to get it here by Thursday.

I'm hoping I've made a good decision as I've seen that quite a few of you have Accucraft locos and they look excellent little machines. Also, it's more in keeping with my railway - US outline would have been ok, but a British one is what I really wanted :clap:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I too have been watching those; so that's a possible second steamer for the T.V.B.L.; quite in keeping with what I've got already. As you say there seem to be plenty of them in use and that has to be some sort of recommendation.