A Beyer Peacock 2-4-0 (But Not From That Island)

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Then it was time to make the final assembly (for the time being at least). There seems to be a chronic shortage of Deltang kit in the UK at the moment. I don't really want to start all the wiring until I have all the pieces. My excuse is that if I leave it all bolted together I'm less likely to lose the parts.

200608 _3_.jpg
200608 _4_.jpg
200608 _7_.jpg
200608 _8_.jpg

Finally, a size comparison with a modifed LGB van:

200608 _9_.jpg

Attachments

• 200608 _6_.jpg
    200608 _6_.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The rodding on the dome is/are the Salter safety valves -I think they thicker parts of the uprights house the springs. But she's a bonny looking locomotive: the paint is well applied and really lifts the whole thing. I like the level of backhead detail too!

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thanks for reading through to the temporary end of this build log. As ever, there's still more to do. Aside from adding the electronic kit the livery still isn't quite there.

LMS lettering will be added from Fox Transfers and I still need to add number, builders and name plates. She will be 'Henry D Pochin', No. 1. Named after the eldest of the two brothers responsible for founding the various quarries, pits, brick and stone works and tramway that led to the building of the railway.

My plan is that this engine will be weathered. I've set the period of my line around the early 1930's. In the timeline I've created for my railway this loco is nearing the end of her life with the sister engine having already been moved to the scrap line. I'm just trying to figure out how severe this would look. Even though her crew would have been aware of her imminent demise I can't imagine that they would allow her condition to slip to the standards of the locos working towards the end of steam in BR days. Unfortunately for me the latter are much easier to find photographs of.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap:...........:clap::clap::clap::clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is a thing of beauty.. :)

'We' are all waiting on Deltang supplies.. :(

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That's a handsome loco Ricky :clap::clap:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thanks for the feedback guys :) Without blowing my own trumpet I am reather pleased with how she has turned out. This is scratchbuild number 4, I'll have to dig the remains of number 1 out next time I'm at my parent's for a comparison.

The rodding on the dome is/are the Salter safety valves -I think they thicker parts of the uprights house the springs....

Ahhh, I think you are correct. Looking over the photos it appears that some locos had a whistle where I have place the extra safety valves. Others do have it close to where I have gone on the cab sheet. What's confused me is in addition to the whistle, some of the locos have some extra hardware on the boiler in the same location. At least I've made it over safe haha, it can be something I sort out down the line when I re-attack the funnel and dome :)

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
lovely little loco and a superb build. Beattie Well Tank SR 0298 next?

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
lovely little loco and a superb build. Beattie Well Tank SR 0298 next?

Now they are handsome little locos :happy: mostly Beyer Peacock products too. I wonder if Beattie's design had any influfence on the little tanks BP would go on to produce later? In their original open cabbed form they made for very interesting pieces of Victorian design too.

For the time being I need to make myself busy converting the lock-in design contest motor block into a 4 wheeled crampton. Following that I've got a 4-6-0T Hunslet to make, possibly from a LGB Sprewald. Also in the list is a British Thompson Houston diesel, along the lines of what they made for Ford in the UK.

However reading up on the 0298 I see that Beattie also built a few 2-2-2WT to compare against the prototypes. I had been eyeing up the Isle of Wight Central Railway's 2-2-2 tanks. A miniscule tank, with sprung single drivers in 1:19.... That would be an interesting challenge :think:

IOWCR Pioneer

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
'Those' BP tanks got quite dirty in their old age: have a look at the RCTS archive pix: RCTS Photographic Archive
although they don't show the paper-thin firebox that Mannin had by the time she finished...

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The devices you note are the safety valves - the dome is the steam collection dome.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As one who has also dipped into the Beyer-Peacock style book for inspiration, I've been following this thread with ever more admiration. It's a beautiful little loco. I don't know how much weathering you have in mind, but the Isle of Wight locos at least seemed to be kept clean right to the end of their lives. Greatly looking forward to seeing the finished result.
Phil