3D/Solid Modelling CAD package recomendations

50calMal

Registered
1 Jul 2013
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
As it says in the title, I'm interested in hearing recommendations for 3D/Solid modelling CAD packages for home use, suitable for designing a complete loco and getting parts printed. So I'm looking for something with the capability for component design and assembly modelling. I'm no stranger to solid modelling having worked as a CAD design engineer for the last 30 plus years, but that is using high end software (Unigraphics/NX and Autodesk Inventor). Both of these packages and most other commercial industrial products are financially beyond the reach of the home user, therefore the reason for my question, looking for a more cost effective solution. Thanks for any advice,

Malc

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
On the N gauge forum I frequent, Fusion 360 seems to be popular amongst modellers working with 3D printers. One guy has been producing a whole series of youtube tutorials for beginners to follow.

Reactions: 1 user

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Since you have considerable experience I would think that Fusion 360 might be worth a look. It's free for non commercial use by hobbyists. I've been struggling to get my head around it for a few months but my previous experience was on a drawing board with Rotring pens and razor blades.
Ben

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you're experienced with CAD then you might find SketchUp a useful halfway house. The most recent version is fully online, but it's possible to download earlier versions to install for free.

Rik

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As it says in the title, I'm interested in hearing recommendations for 3D/Solid modelling CAD packages for home use, suitable for designing a complete loco and getting parts printed. So I'm looking for something with the capability for component design and assembly modelling. I'm no stranger to solid modelling having worked as a CAD design engineer for the last 30 plus years, but that is using high end software (Unigraphics/NX and Autodesk Inventor). Both of these packages and most other commercial industrial products are financially beyond the reach of the home user, therefore the reason for my question, looking for a more cost effective solution. Thanks for any advice,

Malc
I found Sketchup good for 3D printing buildings (not surprising as it was originally designed for that role) but not at all good for locomotives and rolling stock. I use Autodesk 123 Design which is freeware. It has functions like tweak, chamfer, fillet, pattern, etc. which are really useful for locomotives. Since you are already familiar with Inventor then the freeware version would seem to be the way to go.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

50calMal

Registered
1 Jul 2013
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for your comments and advice, plenty to look into.

Malc

Dagnall

Registered
17 May 2016
HAYLING island
Best answers
Country flag
I would also add my recommendation for Fusion360 as it has the free maker licence and although you are now limited to 10 "editable" designs concurrently, its still excellent, and unlike some packages is parametric.