Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Whoosh?

It partially resembles a record player (has a platter turntable) - so I was just wondering :)

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I cannot wait until they come up with a 3-D printer to go with it ! :eek:

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
You can take apart your LGB and set up your own copy factory rather than buyer the Chinese copies - ooh this will upset a few people when they start appearing on the forums! :p :happy: :D

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
funandtrains said:
You can take apart your LGB and set up your own copy factory rather than buyer the Chinese copies - ooh this will upset a few people when they start appearing on the forums! :p :happy: :D
Won't upset me! I believe there is nothing that can be done about it legally either so long as you do not try it for profit. There is always the MORAL angst but being an atheist I have no morals....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
You can do that now by using silicon rubber moulds and resin.......some have been doing it for years. Quicker.
It would probably take 9 hours to print a coach (probably more). They are quite slow and it would be cheaper to buy a coach as the plastic type on a reel or ABS reel cost a bomb....and you have to be able to CAD in 3D
Printers? - - new kid on the block!!
Probably would take a while. This depends of course on the resolution you have your printer set too. Printing an entire coach in one go would be a task. Best results would be gained by breaking it down into components then printing it out as 2 ends, 2 sides, detail parts etc...
This little scanner would be the beez kneez though for things like figures, station accessories etc. The price will drop, just give it some time for the glitches to be worked out...
I have taken a keen interest in 3D printing, even consulted an "expert" who 3D prints custom model aero components. With prices dropping and quality and resolution improving by the day I will soon be making the purchase.... "Flat" items to draw up in 3D are not to hard, its just getting used to working in 3D. Compound curves eg roof ends, are another thing. There is software available too that converts a large number of photos into a 3D file. But when I say "large" I mean in the order of 1000's for say the front of a diesel loco....
Look at this 3D printer won't do a coach as its too small unless you break down your components to a size that will fit. It Uses "Makerbot" components which seem to be available easily especially the nozzles...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-TreeTopTech-3D-Printer-RepRap-PCB-Makerbot-Frame-1-75mm-Filament-CalibratedN-/271367895133?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3f2ec9785d&_uhb=1

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
Very soon, perhaps, with one of these:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fabtotum-personal-fabricator

or even a 3d fax:

http://www.aiorobotics.com/

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:

no., it wont.. ,,sorry to disapoint, but if your doing it for your self, i dont see a problem ;), its only imoral, and illegal to sell copies ..bit like selling copies of dvd,music, and perfum. of course, if you think thats ok.. good luck to you

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
I think I really do - as much as I need a railway in the garden. :D

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
East Anglia, 32A Norwich.
Best answers
Just like 1st generation colour TVs. Unreliable, temperamental, and damned expensive

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
alec dawe said:
Just like 1st generation colour TVs. Unreliable, temperamental, and damned expensive

Thought that was first wives??

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
need???

I WANT one! :eek:
It's not about NEED... for the serious modeller its about Capability and one-upmanship....
But wait a year, these will be like GPS systems that cost $5000 not that long ago that are now de rigour inclusions in breakfast cereal boxes.

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
The samsung colour laser I have cost £139 from pc world, it's almost disposible as 4 replacement toner cartridges would be £120

Beddhist

16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
But do they sell them with full size cartridges or "starter"? I have seen printers that came new with only a quarter of the toner you get in a replacement cartridge. They have to make their money somewhere.

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
ones with my samsung were fully loaded

often you only get starter with cheep inkjets, but all the lasers i've seen come with proper cartridges