3d printed snowplough

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
As it’s nearly the season, I just say this pop, and thought some people would be interested

It’s a 3d printed snowplough, just need wheels and couplings,

Has everyone loves a snowplough, and it’s always good to be prepared.

Note. I have no connection with this and haven’t tested it, just sharing it

DanIMG_0596.jpeg

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Imagine this would need a decent bit of weight in it to stick to the track, like it

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi ,
What a great project! I started thinking about the support problem for the curved plow design,
I found out that cutting the plow into two parts makes it possible to print them both without any support and the two parts can be glued together afterwards.
See drawings below.
So i did and it works well, the printing takes about 9 hours
Original snowplow print.jpgSnowplan parts both top up ready for printing without support.jpgSnowplow cut in two parts.jpg
The whole body Two parts on the print deck The cut for making two parts

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Imagine this would need a decent bit of weight in it to stick to the track, like it
I think it needs a 500gr to max 750gr, just like a normal car.
I also think that the snow on the plow will have enough downward pressure to let the plow stick to the track.
But for the pushing loco i think for traction it needs a bit more weight?

I really would love to see him in action, would awsome.
Keep us updated please.
Gerard Gerard they predicted snow for our country in the beginning of this week!!!!
So make it and have a lot of fun, a vid also please.

With best regards Igor

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
I printed the two parts of the blade without any support.
I also tried to print all the other parts in one whole print , however that went wrong because of a printfailure due to lack of surveillance in the beginning causing a birdsnest!
I'll try again.Snowplow blade in two parts.jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
I also think that the snow on the plow will have enough downward pressure to let the plow stick to the track.
i am not so sure about that. when the snow presses the plow downwards, the plow might get caught on the track and the posterior axle or bogie might get lifted off the track.
i think, i would give it a generous amount of weight above the posteriour wheels.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
i am not so sure about that. when the snow presses the plow downwards, the plow might get caught on the track and the posterior axle or bogie might get lifted off the track.
Now you mention that, it would make indeed a lot of sense, you really think a added 500-750gram is not enough?
isn't it a idea to move the first axle a good bit forward?

I am asking cous i want to built also one, for that one occasion that we maybe get some snow....
But i will stick to my timeline and corner.

With best regards Igor

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Weight will be important, but the main issue is enough pushing power.
So far my experience with snowplows is the the engine power will not be transferred to the plow because of ice on the rails.
The best solution for this problem would be a sort of cogwheel system using the sleepers as cog track teeth and a vertical rotating wheel with teeth that fit between the sleepers.
But the problem is that the sleeper distance is not constant.
So I am still thinking how to solve this "minor probleml"

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
print your own cog and attach that to the track?
I dont think that is difficult to make it removable.

Also more weight on the loco? 500gr added?
I think it will "crush" the snow from the tracks

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Now you mention that, it would make indeed a lot of sense, you really think a added 500-750gram is not enough?
isn't it a idea to move the first axle a good bit forward?

I am asking cous i want to built also one, for that one occasion that we maybe get some snow....
But i will stick to my timeline and corner.

With best regards Igor
hmmm... i must say, that it has been about fifty years ago, that i did shovel snow the last time.
but having worked the land for over 20 years, i learned about point of gravity of loads specially with frontloader equipped tractors. you have a two ton tractor, load a mere 300kilo ... and the tractor makes a bow like a very polite japanese... - ... just because the load is too far away from the frontwheels.

moving the front axle should help. (but the weight of the snow still is in front of that axle/tippingpoint)
as i am a belt and braces type, i would try out, if 2000grams is enough.

(and don't forget Murphy's law. if you build a snowplow, it won't snow for years)

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
There is one more problem when driving a train in snow: the system that takes the current from the rails will not function well due to ice between the wheels and the rails.
So I think the best way to go is by using one or more battery powered playmobile loco's.
I baught 4 of them here in Holland at a fair price of around 25€ each.
So having solved all that the only remaining issue is to get the pulling power of the loco's at work using the sleepers as cog track teeth.

To do that i have the following idea:
To mount an extra round wheel outside each wheel from the drive.
This round wheel should have about 8 retractable pins , each able to be pressed outward by a spring and so penetrating the snow in front of a sleeper.
The pins must have enough force to penetrate in the snow layer that is left behind the plow.
I case the pin is above a sleeper the spring prevents lifting the wheel.
Below a sketch of such a wheel with retractable pins, i think (hope?) this could be build.
The result is a 4 wheel drive engine made from a 2 axes motorblock.

IMG_9219.jpgGerard

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Here a photo of the main body after 8.5 hrs printing at 40% of the total printing time.
Amazing how well the steel structure looks like with all the steel rivets visible.
Allways thought that could only be made well by using a Resin printer.Main body dnowplow 40% printed after 8.5 hr.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is one more problem when driving a train in snow: the system that takes the current from the rails will not function well due to ice between the wheels and the rails.
So I think the best way to go is by using one or more battery powered playmobile loco's.
I baught 4 of them here in Holland at a fair price of around 25€ each.
So having solved all that the only remaining issue is to get the pulling power of the loco's at work using the sleepers as cog track teeth.

To do that i have the following idea:
To mount an extra round wheel outside each wheel from the drive.
This round wheel should have about 8 retractable pins , each able to be pressed outward by a spring and so penetrating the snow in front of a sleeper.
The pins must have enough force to penetrate in the snow layer that is left behind the plow.
I case the pin is above a sleeper the spring prevents lifting the wheel.
Below a sketch of such a wheel with retractable pins, i think (hope?) this could be build.
The result is a 4 wheel drive engine made from a 2 axes motorblock.

View attachment 322559Gerard
So a locomotive fitted with snow-tyres. - Ingenious!
:clap:

PhilP

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
i am very curios...25e for a battery, i really hope those are not 18650 cells.
But your ideas are stunning.
Looking forward to more updates as the build progresses.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
this what you need, i run out sorry, otherwise you could have some.

to give a idea.
In the need for electronics? please let me know, cous that is quite a list.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Much also depends on the snow. My Aristo plow with a half brick in works very well indeed with a good shove by a live steam locomotive (Roundhouse 4 wheel loco). However drifts created by the plow will require a set back and charge to get through. This works very well with fine misty type snow and slightly wet stuff. But if the snow has fallen the night before and frozen nothing will get through even a rotary in our scale.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys,
Here is the result of the print job and joining all the parts using a few tiny screws and a bit of plastic glue.
I am still waiting for the delivery of the test pins by Ali-express.
I'll keep you posted!Pins in copper tube.jpgView from below.jpgTotal side view.jpgSnowplow total view.jpg
snowplow on rail.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
But we all know that if you make one, we won't ever see snow again :giggle::giggle::giggle: