3D printed rolling road for G and LGB locomotives.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick message to let you know how impressed I was with the price, speed of the delivery and quality of my latest e-bay purchase from Germany. It has made the testing and lubricating of my LGB locomotives far easier. The tiny amount of excess material left by the printing process was easily removed. All in all, I am very pleased indeed. Although I only run DC track and battery powered locos, I see no reason this could not double up as a programming set up for DCC locos. They do additional blocks too, so larger or tender locos can be catered for.
Under full power there was a slight wobble on some of my older locos, but no cases of the locos 'jumping' off the roller bearings even after an hours running in each direction. Link to test video below, so you can see it working under power.
Designed to take power from the pick up shoes, it wouldn't take much to power the bearings themselves as they are all independently insulated. However I made up a probe lead which when touched on the bolt heads is ideal for testing individual pick ups.
I have no connection with the seller.

Video:

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Got me really interested then... 'Dynamometer' was used..

Has anyone found a unit that will measure speed ON A ROLLING ROAD? - Preferably, with a table of 'fiddle factors' for gauge..

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got me really interested then... 'Dynamometer' was used..

Has anyone found a unit that will measure speed ON A ROLLING ROAD? - Preferably, with a table of 'fiddle factors' for gauge..

PhilP.
I think that the sort of thing that has been shown in here using a bike speed and mileage indicator may wok, but the wheel of whatever loco you are testing would need to be measures rather than the roller.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Ah the good old Stainz sound card - like scraping sandpaper

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm surprised that the designer did not find a way to route power from the rails to the rollers, the way the rest of the commercially available ones are. Aristo, Accucraft, Bachmann and others have done this.

Also, a caution, virtually never a good idea to use these devices to program locos, power pickup is poor through ball bearings, and you have introduced more points of resistance, never a great idea with the lower voltages and currents involved in programming.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Another problem:
You are feeding power ONLY through the skates.. - Fine for a small loco AND if the skates are working properly.

Skates, and particularly the springs, and short bus-bars in the motor-block, are notorious for being problematical. - Bad contacts can cause the springs to get hot (a little like electric-fire elements) and melt the 'block.

So be careful, especially if you are running Aristocraft, or USA Trains, multi-motor loco's.

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
No skates on Aristo locos. Collapsed springs on USAT locos VERY common. I dump the skates and swap out traction tires for "solid" wheels and the loss of the skates is made up by 2 more "conductive" wheels per motor block.

Last edited:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
All good points and well made by Greg and Phillip. However for what I wanted, the lack of a connection between track and rollers was fine.
I made up a probe and lead with a larger crock clip that fits on the bolt heads. This enables me to test individual power pick up points.
I am well aware of the potential issues with skate springs, so longer test running sessions currently use two connections direct to a pair of bolt heads, bypassing the skates entirely, so no issue with them overheating. Also used for Aristo locos.
No idea why the vendor used 'dynamometer' in the ad when it patently isn't one. Maybe a translation error.
Paul.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say with the reduced load on these, the chances of damaging the skate springs is low, and I do applaud you for considering to test the individual pickup points, something many people miss, often blaming it on dirty track or wheels, when in actuality one of the pickup paths has gone south.

Greg