3D printed end to convert Piko / LGB container to a refrigerated one.

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone thought about 3D printing a replacement end to a Piko container so it has the correct indication of refrigeration equipment. All Piko's refrigerated smooth side containers have plain ends!
Our HO comrades have correctly modeled reefer containers. See examples below.

C_Rail HO reefer.jpgAT-20006727-3_large.jpg
ATH28894-2.jpg

A 3D printed end could then be fitted into the end of a Piko G container with a little careful kitbashing!
Has anyone done this already?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
As one of the few others here on the forum with container trains, no I haven't.

Most the containers on trains I see here in the UK are standard ISO boxes to-ing and fro-ing from the Port of Felixstowe.

Reefer ones tend to go by road....

Last edited:

John Randall

Registered
23 Sep 2018
Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Reefers travel as imports and exports by rail via Felixstowe in various lengths and heights! several things to remember including the shore supply must the coiled up and cable tied, the end doors must be “bolt sealed“ as for the various types the refrigerated unit can be built in or a clip on type the latter type requiring to hang over a wagon headstock. I suppose if someone chooses to take it that far the container model should have a sound card ! one reason that reefers travel by train is that they are not popular in lorry parks as it stops the drivers sleeping !

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Newsflash!
I have a friend who printed me an end for a Piko Container with the result as shown.
ref container end 3.jpgrefr container end.jpg
I cut out the corrugated end of a white flat sided container and glued in the replacement.
A dab of paint and a few added bits including the yellow extension cable for connecting to
power. I am waiting on decals.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
. I am waiting on decals.
Where are you getting decals from, please?

I have only found Circus City, in the US, for these.

Thanks,
PhilP.

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Where are you getting decals from, please?

I have only found Circus City, in the US, for these.

Thanks,
PhilP.
I have designed a decal set myself by collecting graphics on line and then doing the shipping container codes on computer, assembling all the bits using a graphics design program, saving as a pdf and sending to a local sign company in Adelaide, South Australia, my home city, to produce. Before starting I discussed the project over the phone and then emailed my design in. Another phone call to discuss details and check scale measurements, then they will produce the decal and post back.
You should be able to find a local firm who will produce decals you design.
I am not aware of any commercially made decals at 1/24 scale which is what my LGB/Piko containers most closely approximate. I bought an Italeri kit of a 1/24 Shipping Container which included a decal set with choice for either P&O or China Shipping. I used the China Shipping on a repainted Piko container.
D55_3433 crop.jpg

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Finally decals to complete the refrigerated container. Some minor problems with them.
P1060876c.jpg
Decals not totally transparent but they look very good from the usual viewing distance.P1060878c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
I designed and printed Transicold ends for my own containers. 1/29 scale.

0721220857b_HDR.jpg
0721220858.jpg
0721220858_HDR.jpg

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work. I found my 3D printer design on line. Not as good as yours. Are they complete repaints and where did you source your decals? Good to hear from someone else who is interested in containers.
Thanks Peter! I mill the container sides and tops from 5mm PVC sheet with my CNC router.

Exploded.JPG
0922211906b.jpg
I make all my own water-slide decals with a color laser printer.
0929211202.jpg
I've also created and shared this design for a 3d printable bulk liquid container.

Den_Hartough_1.jpg

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
How do you manage the decals with the stripes on the container sides ?
Do you mean the vertical texture? They are thin water-slide decals. Easy to work into the grooves with a cotton swab. I use Micro Set Decal Setting Solution as well.

Pipalya

16 Jun 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter! I mill the container sides and tops from 5mm PVC sheet with my CNC router.

View attachment 322580
View attachment 322581
I make all my own water-slide decals with a color laser printer.
View attachment 322582
I've also created and shared this design for a 3d printable bulk liquid container.

View attachment 322579
That's even more impressive. I'm very interested in your bulk liquid container. Certainly nothing like it is available to in our scales. It looks like it came out of a box! You noted that you shared the design. May I be so bold to ask for a copy?

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag