Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone replaced the valve gear on either side of a 2071D.

I have the complete replacement set, but am experiencing difficulty in removing the old set that has a broken rod or two.

I can easily free the front end steam chest, but I can not shift the bracket ( part 55 on the exploded diagram ) that holds together the rods etc. in the centre.

I know it slots into the main frame above and should pull down and out, but just can’t budge it, force here probably not the solution.

Is there a trick to it?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone replaced the valve gear on either side of a 2071D.

I have the complete replacement set, but am experiencing difficulty in removing the old set that has a broken rod or two.

I can easily free the front end steam chest, but I can not shift the bracket ( part 55 on the exploded diagram ) that holds together the rods etc. in the centre.

I know it slots into the main frame above and should pull down and out, but just can’t budge it, force here probably not the solution.

Is there a trick to it?
There is a ridge on the bracket, this mans you need to remove the body to get it out. On my pretty old one I have to hold it in place to get it back into the bodywork. Have a look at post 15 on my thread.

Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
There is a ridge on the bracket, this mans you need to remove the body to get it out. On my pretty old one I have to hold it in place to get it back into the bodywork. Have a look at post 15 on my thread.
Hi Dunnyrail,

Thanks for you tip. Took a bit of force to get the ridge out of the main body, the bracket then slipped out easily. New one went in with no trouble.