2.4GHz Navigator/Receiver Wireless Problem

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Folks Across the Pond - Are you having any wireless operating issues in UK with the 2.4GHz Navigator and Receiver set? We're having lots of problems here in the USA which uses the 2.4GHz Frequency Band heavily for Wi-Fi Routers, wireless home telephones, wireless home security systems, bluetooth devices such as wireless speakers, etc. Even microwave ovens and USB 3.0 computer hubs can cause interference with the 2.4GHz frequency band. I've sold two 2.4GHz Navigator/Receiver sets to customers in the last couple months and they both are experiencing wireless connectivity issues. I'm still using the older US 900MHz Navigator for my layouts and don't have any problems. The Piko 2.4GHz Navigator is also made by Massoth and some of those users here are also experiencing problems. These issues have been referred to Massoth for a solution for the USA user community. Maybe you folks in the UK don't have such wide-spread use of the 2.4GHz frequency with other devices?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The most common wireless 'problem' is the end-user not pushing the aerial into the base properly..

Next is sticking the base in the corner of a room, possibly on the floor, so in a 'noisey' (electrically speaking) area.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
The most common wireless 'problem' is the end-user not pushing the aerial into the base properly..

Next is sticking the base in the corner of a room, possibly on the floor, so in a 'noisey' (electrically speaking) area.

Hi Phip - Good points. The Receiver's Owner's Manual does provide good advice on positioning of the Receiver, at least 3 feet from the Central Station and Power Supply and Rail layout......floor issue is interesting. The older US Receivers have an internal antenna, no external, and the 2.4GHz Receiver likewise. But the massive use of the 2.4GHz fequency band here in the USA is the biggest issue here causing wireless interference with the 2.4GHz Navigator/Receiver.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does Massoth indicate the channel (frequency) it uses? Often you can move either the Wi-Fi frequency to a different channel. My Zimo allows you to change the Zigbee 2.4 GHz frequency also. Perhaps the Massoth has the same capability?

I found the info on the four 900 MHz channels, but I cannot find the manual for the 2.4 for some reason, I am sure it lists the channels there.

I have no such problems with my Zimo, but I did check the frequencies and coordinate between my home wifi and the Zimo, I have 2 base stations and all my neighbors have wifi and I even pick it from homes on the other side of the golf course)

Gregt

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I’m having precisely this problem. Piko (Massoth) navigator won’t pair with wireless receiver.

I’ve tried the set up in various locations around the house, but I just can’t get that LED on the receiver to stay solid, no matter what I do.

Disappointing as I’d like to get using my new navigator. So very much so, yes, this is an issue in the UK too.

Wondering what the way forward is... have PIKO gone any further to fixing the issue, so we know?

Best wishes,

Alex

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
Would be useful to have your configuration. 433 MHz or 2.4 GHz ?
Have you checked if the 433 MHz selected channel is the same on both the navigator and the wireless receiver ?

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Would be useful to have your configuration. 433 MHz or 2.4 GHz ?
Have you checked if the 433 MHz selected channel is the same on both the navigator and the wireless receiver ?

Hi Aria31,

Thanks for your response. It's the 2.4GHz version (35017 Navigator & 35018 Receiver). In R/C settings on the Navigator I have changing waveband between US / EU / 2.4, and toggling between the four 433 & 434MHz options. Basically, I've tried all scenarios...

I'm new to PIKO so excuse my nativity, but all I can find in the R/C receiver is four DIP switches which seem only relevant if you want to pair multiple navigators, and a reset pair button. Needless to say, I've done a reset, move the unit around, and even tried turning off WiFi etc in the house, as I've red this can wreck havoc with the new 2.4 GHz navigators. Still no pair, alas... :confused: Wondering if I've got a fault navigator, but obvs don't want to replace it if they're all like that, or I've I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for your thoughts / advice!

Alex

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Each time you have changed band / frequency, you will need to power-down, pause, and power-up. - This causes the unit to boot with the correct settings.

Obviously, if you have 2.4GHz kit, then that is what you should be using..

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Each time you have changed band / frequency, you will need to power-down, pause, and power-up. - This causes the unit to boot with the correct settings.

Obviously, if you have 2.4GHz kit, then that is what you should be using..

Thanks PhilP.

Yeah, in that case there's a definite hardware issue. I have tried this on 2.4GHz and still no connection... LED on receiver still flashing away. I've been reading about there being a faulty boards installed & shipped out into Navigators over the last 2 years, so I must've got unlucky...

Cheers,

Alex

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
I have the 433MHz set , so I cannot be of big help!

I see you have a 2.4GHz set. I believe totally new. Not a modified version of the navigator ( if it is the case , the navigator software has been upgraded ?)

I looked at the 35018 Piko manual. I think you have to put back the DIP switches in the factory setting,
Your configuration is quite simple (one navigator, one receiver) , should work.
The issue is only the 2 units are not in line with appropriate settings.

Have you tried to connect the navigator with the central station 35010 witha cable ? is it workintg ?

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I have the 433MHz set , so I cannot be of big help!

I see you have a 2.4GHz set. I believe totally new. Not a modified version of the navigator ( if it is the case , the navigator software has been upgraded ?)

I looked at the 35018 Piko manual. I think you have to put back the DIP switches in the factory setting,
Your configuration is quite simple (one navigator, one receiver) , should work.
The issue is only the 2 units are not in line with appropriate settings.

Have you tried to connect the navigator with the central station 35010 witha cable ? is it workintg ?

Hi again,

thanks for these suggestions! Yup, both the navigator and receiver are brand new. Navigator works a treat when plugged into the central station.

tried the hard reset with the DIP switches on the receiver, but alas didn’t work. I had high hopes for that.

I have reset all units, and reboot the Nav each time. Weirdly, when I toggle thru the EU / UK / 2.4 GHz menu, I sometimes get a beaming radio beacon icon in the top right corner of the Nav. That also gave me hope, as I assumed it’d established a connection. But the LED on the Receiver is still blinking away. Did the long hold on the receiver to get flash-blink too, but that didn’t work either...

... which leads me to believe it could be a hardware fault, and my mind immediately went to the problems Massoth are having with the R/C on their Navs...

thanks for your thoughts everyone. It’ll be going back to the nice man at the shop if I can’t think up anything else and he said he’d test/pair a receiver & Nav Replacement before shipping it out.

best wishes

Alex

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
Alex if you finally ship the kit (navigator and/or receiver) to Piko for repair I can tell you they are very efficient and you will get the your hardware quickly ( if made before December 2020 !!!) . Minimum 1 week travel time to go and 1week back.

Your tests with your retailer is a good solution to define the faulty unit.

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Alex if you finally ship the kit (navigator and/or receiver) to Piko for repair I can tell you they are very efficient and you will get the your hardware quickly ( if made before December 2020 !!!) . Minimum 1 week travel time to go and 1week back.

Your tests with your retailer is a good solution to define the faulty unit.

This is interesting to know! Wish it was the same with MLGB -- they've taken a long old while in my time.

Shop I got it from have been very good and they said they'd test a new replacement, to ensure it pairs, before sending it out. So that's the old faulty one posted back to them today. I had tried every which way under the sun to get it to link, but it simply would not play ball. So much for a weekend playing with my trains!

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
I’m having precisely this problem. Piko (Massoth) navigator won’t pair with wireless receiver.

I’ve tried the set up in various locations around the house, but I just can’t get that LED on the receiver to stay solid, no matter what I do.

Disappointing as I’d like to get using my new navigator. So very much so, yes, this is an issue in the UK too.

Wondering what the way forward is... have PIKO gone any further to fixing the issue, so we know?

Best wishes,

Alex

There's been a problem with some of the transmitter boards in the Massoth 2.4 GHz Navigators. I bought Massoth two 2.4 GHz Navigator/Receiver Sets last year and sold them to customers here in the USA and they worked initally for a few days but then the wireless stopped working, i.e., the Navigator couldn't connect with the Receiver but the wired connection worked fine. My customers returned the Navigators to me and I replaced the boards in both units with new 2.4 GHZ boards and they then worked fine now. I suspect some of the Piko Navigators, made by Massoth, have the same issue. You can send your Navigator back to Massoth for Warranty Service, or order a new Massoth 2.4GHz transmitter board for about $100, and replace it yourself. The Navigator's 2.4GHz Band Range is 2.402 - 2.480 is designed, when you turn it on, to search for and then use a free band in that range, so "normally' there'shouldn't be an interference issue with other 2.4 GHz devices at your location.

Reactions: 1 user

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Precisely the problem I've had Tom. First PIKO(Massoth) Nav & receiver didn't pair at all. Received a replacement and it paired for a wonderful, heavenly TWO HOURS before calling time and refusing to pair.

Sadly, I've had no end of bad experience with PIKO control. Won't be going down the PIKO round from now on, that's for sure.

Thanks,

Alex

Wilco

Swiss G scale
24 Jul 2015
NL-Gelderland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks,

I've read your postings on the use of the Massoth 2,4 GHz blue tooth R/C system.
That was all before the software updates of 2021.

Since then, is there any news on this issue?
All problems solved?

Best regards from the Netherlands,
Wilco

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks,

I've read your postings on the use of the Massoth 2,4 GHz blue tooth R/C system.
That was all before the software updates of 2021.

Since then, is there any news on this issue?
All problems solved?

Best regards from the Netherlands,
Wilco
First - the Massoth 2.4Ghz system is not bluetooth. Bluetooth is a totally different wireless protocol than the 2.4Ghz system.

There was a firmware update 2.1 released by Massoth last fall that largely seems to fix all the noted issues with pairing the NAVs and Receivers.

Wilco

Swiss G scale
24 Jul 2015
NL-Gelderland
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite,

I checked, by unscrewing the receiver and mounting the transmitter.
You have to do that anyway to check if it's an A or B version.

Massoth uses definitely the 2,4 GHz blue tooth R/C components.

2,4 GHz R/C systems with all different protocols
- Wifi: ESU and others
- Zigbee: Zimo
- Blue tooth: Massoth

I did mention the firmware update vof 2.10 from 2021.

That's why I asked about any issues after that.

So all problems solved?

Last edited:

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite,

I checked, by unscrewing the receiver and mounting the transmitter.
You hav to that anyway to check if it's an A or B version.

Massoth uses definitely the 2,4 GHz blue tooth R/C components.

2,4 GHz R/C systems with all different protocols
- Wifi: ESU and others
- Zigbee: Zimo
- Blue tooth: Massoth

I did mention the firmware update vof 2.10 from 2021.

That's why I asked about any issues after that.

So all problems solved?

Regarding Bluetooth you are correct, I stand corrected. Its BLE 2.4ghz

The updated firmware I referenced was released Oct 2022. The 2021 firmware release corrected some issues, but introduced others - namely it did not allow you to pair a NAV to more than 1 receiver ever. This was fixed in the 2022 release.

Wilco

Swiss G scale
24 Jul 2015
NL-Gelderland
Best answers
Country flag
OK, Thanks.

Pairing a Navigator to two receivers still doesn't work.
My question may also be understood as of issues after the 2.1 Update of 2021 or 2.2 update of 2022.

Last edited: